Author Topic: Running out of time  (Read 17562 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Wow.  If we didn't have the defecation hitting the ventilation before, we sure do now.

It looks like the Lucifer was able to strike against us one last time during its death throes, and in the process cut us off from Earth.  Don't let the spin doctors fool you; our scientists are pretty sure it's permanent.  And that puts us in a heap of trouble, because everything in the GTA is, or was, based out of Sol.  FLEETCOM, R&D, production, logistics, training, you name it.  At least when Vasuda Prime was nuked, the Vasudans still had a distributed command structure to fall back on.  We've got none of that.  For all intents and purposes, we've lost the GTA as well as Earth.

What this means is we've now got a bunch of loosely coordinated systems, all with their own governors, all with their own ideas of what to do next, and no clear method of organization.  For the time being, we've assembled a contingency FLEETCOM in Delta Serpentis, consisting of representatives from each fleet.  Fortunately, the Shivans seem to have taken the loss of the Lucifer just as hard as we've taken the loss of Sol - we haven't seen any major attacks in the past five days.  And perhaps just as fortunately, the Vasudans have neither taken the opportunity to attack us, nor tried to influence the reorganization.

The GTI is another matter, though, and I wish I'd been paying more attention to them over the last couple of weeks.  The first thing they did after the node collapse is cite wartime authority to seize any assets that were owned by citizens living in Sol but are being held in other systems, "with compensation to be paid upon re-establishment of contact".  And now they're arguing that FLEETCOM should be put under the aegis of the GTI.  I think most of the GTI infrastructure is in Beta Aquilae, not Sol, so they weren't affected by the node collapse as much as the GTA was.

So it's time for me to stop being so timid and start being a little more audacious.  The risk of inaction is too great.  I hope whoever's receiving these transmissions has connections, or can at least exploit whatever I find out, because I'm going for broke now.

Here's the first thing I've been able to dig up.  Remember that absent-minded officer I acquired the blueprints from?  His name is Isaac Stone, and he's a Level Phi cleared officer working under the Phoenix program.  I figured he's the best person to start with, so I've "arranged to obtain" (hint, hint, wink wink) a password reminder email for his account on the Phoenix network.  It's DGP encrypted, which is unfortunate, but I figure if you guys can hide your access traces so well, a little DGP encryption isn't going to be a problem for you.  To avoid blowing my cover, though, I recommend that you access the network through the node at 5712.92.3784, which is used mostly for testing and maintenance purposes and shouldn't come under suspicion.

-----BEGIN DGP MESSAGE-----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=KR2E
-----END DGP MESSAGE-----

Offline MikeRoz

About fraking time.

Code: [Select]
Dear Isaac Stone,

Your password reminder request has been received.  Please note that due to heightened security, email messages no longer contain explicit passwords.  Instead, please follow these instructions to obtain your password:

1) Retrieve your copy of the GTA authorized strategy guide for Terran pilots, by Mark H. Walker, archival code # 1-56686-787-8.
2) Consult the sections on Terran, Vasudan, and Shivan spacecraft.
3) The first half of the password is the star indicated by the nose of the GTB Medusa.
4) The second half of the password is the star indicated by the nose of the SF Basilisk.

Please do not respond to this message; this alias is unmonitored.  If you require assistance, please contact your system administrator.

Sincerely,
The Phoenix Online Network Technical Support Staff

Edit: So this is really, really evil.

Anyone here besides Goober have a copy of this?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:37:23 pm by MikeRoz »
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Nuclear1

I'd really not like to have to buy it if I don't have to, but if no one else has it...
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Dammit. Please tell me that that manual is NOT needed to access the holonet, because my copy of Freespace didn't come with it.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
well, i think we can confirm that [email protected] is the User name for the restricted sector. I have no knowledge of the Guide but it could be the password could be a combo of two of the Star System names. Unfortunatly, im about as sure that that theory is true as i'm sure who the Final Cylon in BSG is (basically, I dont have a frakking clue).

Goober...You are one evil guy....

Can someone redub this so that Kirk yells "Goober" instead of Khan
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I've checked out 1-56686-787-8 and it returns, unfortunately, the guide. A search on HLP with the search term "official strategy guide" (plus quotes) returned only three results, all of them referring to the FS2 manual by Prima Games.

A Google search points out that there are copies being sold from between US$3 to US$150, but the only image I got was the cover.

Quite coincidentally, the two ships mentioned in the decrypt are also used in FS2. I'm not sure if that's a hint, or pure coincidence.

replacementdocs has a PDF copy of the FS1 manual here if you want to look.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:16:07 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Shouldn't the holonet's database have all we need?

Offline Vip

I really doubt Goob would make us buy such a thing - he probably knows well enough that many people don't have it and it's hard to get. Not to mention that paying for info on ST:R = BAAAAD.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Nuclear1

Yes, that.

I ordered it yesterday and it should arrive here by Wednesday.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Remind all of us that we owe you a round in the future. :p

Offline Nuclear1

Well I don't have a scanner, so we'll see how useful it is when I'm not able to share any of it. :p

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Well, there's always the good ol' brute force method. The following is a list of star systems copied from the official V Freespace node map:

Polaris
Mirak
Capella
Procyon A
Regulus
Vega
Vasuda
Deneb
Altair
Aldebaran
Alpha Centauri
Sirius
Antares
Beta Cygni
Ikeya
Ross 128
Betelgeuse
Ribos
Beta Aquilae
Sol
Wolf 359
Alphard
Dubhe
Alphard
Barnard's Star
Luyten 726-8A
Laramis

The first and second halves of the password are the names of FS star systems. Therefore, trying various combinations will eventually yield the result...

Dammit, Goober.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:03:18 am by Rick James »

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Terminator

• Just another guy...
Shouldn't the holonet's database have all we need?

On the surface neither of the two ship entries have any mentions of any star systems. So if it's there it must be hidden in the background or something.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well I don't have a scanner, so we'll see how useful it is when I'm not able to share any of it. :p

Mmm...got a digital camera? :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Or a phone with a camera...
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Nuclear1

Only a phone with a camera, but extremely low quality. :p

I'll figure something out.

Also:

Aldebaran Aldebaran
Aldebaran Alpha Centauri
Aldebaran Altair
Aldebaran Capella
Aldebaran Deneb
Aldebaran Mirak
Aldebaran Polaris
Aldebaran Procyon A
Aldebaran Regulus
Aldebaran Sirius
Aldebaran Vasuda
Aldebaran Vega
Alpha Centauri Aldebaran
Alpha Centauri Alpha Centauri
Alpha Centauri Altair
Alpha Centauri Capella
Alpha Centauri Deneb
Alpha Centauri Mirak
Alpha Centauri Polaris
Alpha Centauri Procyon A
Alpha Centauri Regulus
Alpha Centauri Sirius
Alpha Centauri Vasuda
Alpha Centauri Vega
Altair Aldebaran
Altair Alpha Centauri
Altair Altair
Altair Capella
Altair Deneb
Altair Mirak
Altair Polaris
Altair Procyon A
Altair Regulus
Altair Sirius
Altair Vasuda
Altair Vega
Capella Aldebaran
Capella Alpha Centauri
Capella Altair
Capella Capella
Capella Deneb
Capella Mirak
Capella Polaris
Capella Procyon A
Capella Regulus
Capella Sirius
Capella Vasuda
Capella Vega
Deneb Aldebaran
Deneb Alpha Centauri
Deneb Altair
Deneb Capella
Deneb Deneb
Deneb Mirak
Deneb Polaris
Deneb Procyon A
Deneb Regulus
Deneb Sirius
Deneb Vasuda
Deneb Vega
Mirak Aldebaran
Mirak Alpha Centauri
Mirak Altair
Mirak Capella
Mirak Deneb
Mirak Mirak
Mirak Polaris
Mirak Procyon A
Mirak Regulus
Mirak Sirius
Mirak Vasuda
Mirak Vega
Polaris Aldebaran
Polaris Alpha Centauri
Polaris Altair
Polaris Capella
Polaris Deneb
Polaris Mirak
Polaris Polaris
Polaris Procyon A
Polaris Regulus
Polaris Sirius
Polaris Vasuda
Polaris Vega
Procyon A Aldebaran
Procyon A Alpha Centauri
Procyon A Altair
Procyon A Capella
Procyon A Deneb
Procyon A Mirak
Procyon A Polaris
Procyon A Procyon A
Procyon A Regulus
Procyon A Sirius
Procyon A Vasuda
Procyon A Vega
Regulus Aldebaran
Regulus Alpha Centauri
Regulus Altair
Regulus Capella
Regulus Deneb
Regulus Mirak
Regulus Polaris
Regulus Procyon A
Regulus Regulus
Regulus Sirius
Regulus Vasuda
Regulus Vega
Sirius Aldebaran
Sirius Alpha Centauri
Sirius Altair
Sirius Capella
Sirius Deneb
Sirius Mirak
Sirius Polaris
Sirius Procyon A
Sirius Regulus
Sirius Sirius
Sirius Vasuda
Sirius Vega
Vasuda Aldebaran
Vasuda Alpha Centauri
Vasuda Altair
Vasuda Capella
Vasuda Deneb
Vasuda Mirak
Vasuda Polaris
Vasuda Procyon A
Vasuda Regulus
Vasuda Sirius
Vasuda Vasuda
Vasuda Vega
Vega Aldebaran
Vega Alpha Centauri
Vega Altair
Vega Capella
Vega Deneb
Vega Mirak
Vega Polaris
Vega Procyon A
Vega Regulus
Vega Sirius
Vega Vasuda
Vega Vega

All the possible combos.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:31:02 am by nuclear1 »

Offline MikeRoz

There are more than twelve stars in FS canon.

Also, we are not limited to stars in FS canon.

If it were a combination of FS canon stars, I'd have it by now.
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
And what if there aren't spaces in the pass?

Offline MikeRoz

There are.