Author Topic: new environment mapping build  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
new environment mapping build
fixed the seams that were visable between sections of the cubemap, this constitutes a vast visual improvement, better than I was expecting. also the bacground immages are being rendered about twice ass eficently now due to my fiddleing with them, though there could be some oddness as a result keep a look out for the background nebulas flying off  into deep space for no good reason, or stuff all crammed together in one spot.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_r_env_5-16-04.zip
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

this stuff isn't in CVS, right?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If it was in CVS it'd show up on the mailing list and in the builds.
-C

I'm not on the mailing list.....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
not in CVS, I'm gona wait a week or two, if you want to look at it I'd be happy to pack up my code base for you though. the high level environment mapping is still a bit of a hack though
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

err, I was just curious, C++ For Dummies is lying open on page 83 (How to Declare a Function) right next to me.....

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I uploaded this a few days ago becase I thought my HD was about to die, be sure to check the decals section, check decal_create() and look at each line of code running through it, decal_find_next(), get_open_poly(), decal class, and decal_list_controle class are some of the highlights, I had to reinvent an entier new memory management system, just for decals!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

I downloaded that, but only because you told us about "Something bad". I am a C novice, I have never written anything in C, and I can barely read the most basic code (commandline.cpp).

But it all sounds very cool, and I will check out this build at one point.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Okay, I've tested this build.

It fixes the seams (which is good), but makes another problem much more apparent. The reflection is now so small on small ship details (cockpits/etc) that all you get is a few flickery specks, making everything look incredibly bad or not env mapped at all.

It seems the env maps got 'squashed together' horizontally.

With this build it is hard to get a reflection at all on fighters, and if you get one it's about 1/8 of its previous size. The capships still work, but even there it's apparent the reflection has been reduced tremendously in size.

In other words, fixes one bug but makes another bug worse (a lot).

Hopefully this can be fixed, as the seams were/are really a nasty issue, too.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there might be a way to scale it, but that'll probly get into some thorny matrix manipulations. it could be one of those things that once something looks corect after you seeing it incorect for so long it looks wrong. there is a reason why it's called space, there's a lot of it. :)
if I scale the stuff up, I can tell you that when you move the stuff is going to look like it's moveing faster than it should, and it's probly going to make reflections less acurate.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well, as it is now it definately looks wrong.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Are there supposed to be full reflections (think mirror) of stuff like nebulae on things like Arcadias?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, though there prety faint on the Arcadia
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Will this one crash after 5 minutes in game too? I hope not. *DL's*

BTW, Trueform rox0rs... :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by Bobboau
yeah, though there prety faint on the Arcadia

not really. when I tested the build, and looked into the yellow areas on the Arcadia, I got a FULL reflection. thought I was seeing through the station at first.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!