Author Topic: Bobboau's GTVI Mercury  (Read 4026 times)

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Bobboau's GTVI Mercury
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I must say I never thought there were still people, like myself, who still appreciate and love Freespace 2.  What an honor it is to be with you guys!  I still find my self installing the game even in 2006!  ;)

Anyways, I have a problem with the GTVI Mercury created by Bobbeau.  I don't know when I downloaded it, but I had it for quite a long time.  There is a .pcx file called "LODMERC", which is supposed to be the weapons loadout picture.  But this picture never shows up.  I've tried putting the file in the main freespace 2 directory and pasted multiple copies in each of the folders in the data folder.  But nothing makes it show up.  What is wrong?  Is there an updated version of this fighter?

BTW, does this site offer a downloads section where I can download new ships, and where is the downloads section? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:33:42 pm by MachManX »
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Bobboau's GTVI Mercury
I have a better solution to your problem, than using the included top-view loadout image.  Use Freespace Open, and use the ship choice 3D option in the launcher.  It will actually render a spinning image of the ship, as well as the icons for ship selection.

As for downloading models, I'd suggest you try Hades Combine.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Hey MachMan, always nice to get fresh blood around here.  In fact..............Target locked, fire!

:welcome:

Welcome to the Hard Light Productions Installation.  For a more detailed view of our operation, please view the highlighted thread "Hard Light Productions Installation".  Current topside temperature is a nice 5000 centigrade.  Please take note of any passing ships; just roll down your viewport and scream "get out of the way!" if it gets bad.  You will note on our detailed map that we have plasma rifles in the weapons lockers, but those are only openable by administrators, Volition gods, or a hyper-intelligent shade of the color blue, so tough beans.  You will be supplied with a flamethrower, but due to budget cuts, they are filled with water.  If you hear frightening noises, don't worry, it's probably a Shivan, an asteroid, or an0n.  If you decide to go into the ducts you may encounter our most well-known Shivan, Carl.  Just give him your lunch and back away.  If he gets pissed, I hope for his and your sakes you're a meaty one.  Thank you and have a pleasant stay.

On a side note, think you could get me the Mercury?  It's one the few I don't have.  If you want new stuff, check the mods section in the main page, or just ask me.  I do have quite a few.  :)

Offline Solatar

It's a reskin of the Vasudan support ship IIRC.

Offline MachManX

I don't know about the Vasudan IIRC, but the GTVI Mercury is my favorite fighter.  I've submitted it to be uploaded to the main site.  Hopefully they will allow it, it's a great ship.  Funny story: Two years ago, I formatted my hard drive without saving the data and lost all my collected freespace 1 and 2 data.  I was PISSED!  All that work, gone, just like that  :( .  So I was organizing my files and found that I saved a copy of the Mercury in My Documents, accidently!  That was the only file I ever got back.  I guess you can say we are unseparable  ;) .
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p

• Trayus no more.
Hey MachMan, while we're on the subject on mods, since you had a whole bunch of 'em apparently, do you happen to know if there were any good reskins of the Pegasus?  I've been trying to find one forever.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
AFAIK there aren't any reskins of the Pegasus.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

• Trayus no more.
If there aren't any, someone should do one sometime.  It is such an awesome design, and I'd kinda like to see it as a light interceptor with non-stealth textures, as good as it does look in stealth ones.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
well, with how the Pegasus is designed, story and model-wise, it would never work as an interceptor. the pegasus, model and storywise, is strictly a reconassaince craft armed with limited firepower to get out of a light engagement if discovered.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

• Trayus no more.
well, with how the Pegasus is designed, story and model-wise, it would never work as an interceptor. the pegasus, model and storywise, is strictly a reconassaince craft armed with limited firepower to get out of a light engagement if discovered.

You have a point.  Tryed to fly it in Endgame, and got shot down in 30 seconds.  At any rate, I just think it looks cool, and would like to see it in a different texturing.

Offline MachManX

Heh, you're right, Solatar, it is a reskin of the vasudan support ship.  I can't believe it, I've been playing the game for soo long and I've never noticed the similarities between the two!  :lol:  Still, I like the reskin.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I think Icefire or Bob made a reskin of the Pegasus in a subspac pack? OR was it arctic?  Think it was on teh old triton dynamics page.. sorry can't remember..
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

• Trayus no more.
Well, thanks.  I checked out the subspace pack, it wasn't there, and I can't find the arctic pack.  It's not on Triton Dynamics or the old Volitionwatch Archives page.  Any idea where else this pack may be?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
WOW this is some *_OLD_* stuf.
I have no idea what could have been wrong with your copy of it, I never got any complaints in the... five years? sence I made it.

for the records folks, the GTVI Mercury was the first moded pof for FS2 that had modified gun/missle points, that was back in the day before I had the capacity, skill, and most importantly tools to make my own models, after a number of reskins, I used a hex editor to copy fireing points from another model onto a slightly modified vasudan suport ship (wich I just thought looked too cool for such a roll) that was my favorite mini-mod from that era of my modding history.

(incedently an interceptor in BWO had a similar technobable story to explain similar flight properties, namely bizarly insane speed, though it got toned down eventualy)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline MachManX

Well, Bobboau, it's nice to finally talk to you :cool:.   I would've complained earlier, but I found this site recently :mad:. I did send an email to you around 2002-03, but I never got a reply back from you.  I believe the address was [email protected].  Though, I never expected a reply from you because it's an AOL account; who still uses it?  :lol:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p

• Trayus no more.
Wow.  An e-mail from 3 years ago, huh?  I suppose that happens every once and a while.  Kinda like one or two of my PMs to the admins, though I suspect they're just ignoring me.....  :rolleyes:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, I droped AOL like 2001 or so, so I never got that.

there was an updated version made after FSMM2 was released, maybe you have origonal version, and maybe that file was fixed as well, does the readme file (what is this.txt) say anything about a guy named Scott D. Perry?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together