Author Topic: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion  (Read 55063 times)

Re: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion
If I had to give a progress estimate, I'd say 70-80%, but don't quote me on that.

If after a month you're 80% through your efforts in trying to make Goob apologize, mabye something is wrong with you.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I sincerely hope you realize that there's a lot more to this situation than just that.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

The arrangement in the OP makes it sound very simple tbh. So I assume that's off?

There REALLY isn't. Literally everyone except you and Goober thinks that he needed to sincerely apologise -- something which now seems impossible given how deeply he's dug in at this stage -- or cease to be an administrator here. You're stalling, and knowing the HLP playbook you will continue to stall indefinitely no matter the damage. Don't think that nobody noticed that Goober ceased to be an admin for a time yesterday, and is now back, and that now Axem is no longer an admin.

I was going to quip earlier in this thread that it is easier to imagine the end of HLP than the end of Goober's petty authority. That is now a very serious concern. How many good people, how much hard-earned community confidence, will burn for the sake of your stubbornness?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Don't think that nobody noticed that Goober ceased to be an admin for a time yesterday, and is now back, and that now Axem is no longer an admin.

Wait what?

Well, Axem isn't an admin anymore at the least.

What the actual ****?

I guess we're gonna get the Benevolent Dictatorship of Sandwich and Goober by simple attrition of all the admins who actually respect anyone except themselves.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

... Good thing FSPort and STR are compatible with FS2 retail  :nervous:

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
HLP is not a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship, and you don't get to vote about who's in charge around here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody's forcing you to stay here if you don't agree with the decisions coming from the conglomerate that is El Presidente here. Benevolent dictatorship.

Personally, I'd rather you didn't go... regardless of any disagreements I may have with you about various things. After all, when all's said and done, we're here for FreeSpace. All the rest of this is optional, community-related fluff.

I certainly am here for FreeSpace. I would love to be here for FreeSpace.

I am no longer capable of believing that you are here for FreeSpace.

I suppose now's the time to make a lifeboat and start migrating to discord, that is if I don't just give up on modding this 20 year old game that sold so badly it killed an entire genre.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Bringing Axem in was a pretty big deal back in the day. The community had to push and push to get an admin added who was actually active and engaged with the community after years of slow distancing; there was a real sense of the admins being an old guard who were bizarrely jealous of their privileged status on a modding forum. And in the course of a month that's all gone. I have no idea what happens going forward. Maybe we all become Spoon and decide that the HLP bulletin board is a lost cause. Ironically the SCP and the Discord have much more functional governance than this place, and coincidentally Goober and Sandwich aren't governing them...

If any of the remaining admins or staff are reading this: there is no way out of this that doesn't involve some amount of damage to the community. I think anyone who's read this thread can see that the question is who takes the brunt of that damage: is it Goober losing his authority, or the many, many other community members who have expressed no confidence in him being told, once again, that they don't matter and they just need to shut up and lump it. The utilitarian calculus here seems clear. There is a way forward that has a future for HLP.

Don't think that nobody noticed that Goober ceased to be an admin for a time yesterday, and is now back, and that now Axem is no longer an admin.

Wait what?

I noticed, he hadn't his Discord role anymore too.

Axem has left the Discord entirely and I'm really worried that it's not just a break, that this toxic ****show has lost us one of the friendliest, most helpful and most productive people the community has seen.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
What the **** is going on?
(fwiw, I can confirm also seeing the goober de-admining that happened last night)
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Well the scripting board could just as well be deleted if he doesn't come back; he made like 90% of it and the few not broken ones could be moved elsewhere.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
There's serious chatter on the discord looking at how to migrate stuff off hard-light.net, and being left in the dark isn't helping anyone.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Again, you don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. I will say that Axem left of his own accord, and it is up to him if he wants to tell you the reasons why. All I will say about those reasons is that it was not "caused" exclusively by just Goober and myself, but by actions that everyone "else" took as well. I am hoping he will reconsider his decision, as I do not want anyone to leave.

Let me reiterate: You are unaware of what has been going on. Once things have settled down, I would like to see everyone informed of what has happened, hopefully by someone who has been fairly neutral and levelheaded throughout all this (Fineus comes to mind).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Let me reiterate: You are unaware of what has been going on.

yes, we are very much aware that we're unaware.

Please address this problem.

Goober and myself, but by actions that everyone "else" took as well.

So it's you two vs everyone else hmmm?

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Let me reiterate: You are unaware of what has been going on.
I am well aware I don't know what's going on, that is the problem. The core issue here is a site leadership that is cold, distant and unwilling to listen to users and this is just exacerbating the situation!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:44:37 am by qazwsx »