Author Topic: FS2 SCP and Windows 7?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Re: FS2 SCP and Windows 7?
I installed FS2 and FSO with no problems on my new Win7 64 bit laptop.  Runs like a dream.

Try a build with shadows :p
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Re: FS2 SCP and Windows 7?
My computer can sometimes manage multiple frames per second in bp2-massivebattle with a shadow build, so I count that a victory. :p

Offline Mikes

It's not that simple.

32-bit systems can use exactly 4096 MB of memory address space (without physical address extension, which allows for more than 4 GB of memory addresses in certain 32-bit Windows operating systems).

The hardware requires some of that address space to function. The biggest chunk of memory is taken by the graphics card for obvious reasons. If the GPU takes 256 MB of memory, then there is 3840 MB of memory addresses left to utilize. Rest of the hardware also takes some memory addresses, but not nearly as much as the VRAM does; therefore the amount of video memory is the biggest factor that reduces the amount of addressed RAM for the applications to use.

If VRAM is 512 MB, there'll be about 3.5 GB of address space left.

If VRAM is 1 GB... well, you can see why it would become problematic to use a 32bit system as a high end gaming rig.

I always wanted to try what  Win7 32  does when you install 2x 2gb cards in crossfire :)

I have the SCP running flawlessly on W7 64-bit on my desktop and my bro's laptop. I have the 32-bit version on my old 2007ish laptop, same deal. I literally copy and paste my FS folder from computer to computer and it never misses a beat, wether its XP, Vista, W7 32/64. All I ever have to do is install openAL.