Author Topic: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!  (Read 29280 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!
It's still the same folder. It just needs to be renamed. Try it now. You should have a TBP 3.6.3 folder instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

Great! I am uploading all of my stuff to the data folder now, where it is on my system too. But man, upload is slow! Do I need to do something else afterwards for it to be visible in the main game or is this all?

P.S.: Damn, TortoiseSVN is so stupid :(! I had uploaded almost all my stuff when I noticed a file that should not be uploaded, so I removed it locally. SVN stopped with an error and EVERYTHING ELSE THAT I UPLOADED WAS LOST! It can't upload multiple files either. I don't have time for another try this weekend, so I'll continue next week...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:39:52 am by wesp5 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, that wasn't a smart move. You should have just uploaded it and then deleted it afterwards. But SVN has a bunch of gotchas that you only learn the hard way.

Once it's up we can check it works and then release it.

My setup

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline wesp5

Once it's up we can check it works and then release it.

So, everything has been uploaded! What has to be done for this to be released now?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Testing. i.e does it work? If you're sure it does, we can push this out.

Offline wesp5

Testing. i.e does it work? If you're sure it does, we can push this out.

I'm pretty sure it works. I tested the same files manually with my Knossos version...

Offline wesp5

I have just created a fresh Knossos TBP installation and my stuff is still not available. Please release it!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm trying to but Knossos won't install on my travel laptop running Linux so I'm going to have to wait till I get back to my Windows machine. I should be going back tomorrow but Coronavirus means that's not certain.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Alright, I finally had a chance to go through this and I've noticed that you appear to have vp files in the data folder. I can't remember if we said we'd just update the main folders or have each campaign in its own folder. But VPs in the main data folder is definitely wrong. Ideally, the only files that should be there are the movies and Freddocs.

Also if anything replaces an existing file, it should replace it (unlike the ships.tbl which is in data). Does that file have priority now? To be honest, I don't know.

Offline wesp5

Alright, I finally had a chance to go through this and I've noticed that you appear to have vp files in the data folder.

So where do the vps go, into the main folder? Can you just move them there or do I need to upload them again?

I can't remember if we said we'd just update the main folders or have each campaign in its own folder.

It would be cool if we could do subfolders, but with the old TBP it wasn't possible as far as I remember.

Also if anything replaces an existing file, it should replace it (unlike the ships.tbl which is in data). Does that file have priority now? To be honest, I don't know.

I don't think I added a tbl file...

I added the ships.tbl and mentioned awhile back that it needs to replace the original one inside the VP.  The only things that was changed in it was to add the strafing values on the ships. So feel free to do so. 

I added it to the data folder for testing purposes. 

As for wesp5's files I am not sure about the arrangement and file locations for single missions.  I presume maybe they should be in their own VP file added to the root folder.  I know how to extract a file from a VP file but not sure how to make a VP file from a collection of files.  The other way it seems would be to add a separate folder having it own json files showing up under Knossos as a unique icon to run to get to these in the game.  I see this was done for missions added in the GOTY addon. 

I can't speak for wesp5 but I think we could use some directions to keep things the way they should be and I personally would like to know how to do things for future  help with projects (like creating VP files and/or new json files).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You should never add a VP file ever. Knossos makes them itself when a mod in development is uploaded. So loose files always.

The question is whether we want to release every TBP mod as a separate mod (which will require users to find them all on the available mods page and download them separately). Or if we want to make TBP a single download (much more convenient) If we do decide on a single mod, we then need to decide if we have knossos make a VP file for each mod, whether we should have it make a non-core VP file every add-on campaign that exists, or whether we should just stick all the mods in core and be done with it. :p

Each method has merits and possible pitfalls when it comes to how FS2_Open decides which files have precedence.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:20:36 am by karajorma »

That was informative.   Since there seems to be a very limited number of missions and campaigns I would think to just either add them to the core or make an additions vp pack.  I would think most people would not like a separate mod to download and find.

Thanks for you support

Offline wesp5

Since there seems to be a very limited number of missions and campaigns I would think to just either add them to the core or make an additions vp pack.

I agree with that! So can you turn my files into a core vp, karajorma? Because Knossos certainly didn't do it when I used SVN to upload my files. The disadvantage that I see to this approach is that if we find a bug, we always need to rebuild the affected vp...

I think it's better to have everything as a single DL as it's the easiest way to distribute content. Still, you have to figure out which campaigns are good and which bad but since Knossos doesn't have a rating system you'd have to do that anyway.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Splitting off mods per download

Can I just point out that intregrating mods might be more difficult process as time goes on; yes, a lot of the content for the TBP in terms of missions is old and doesn't require much of mods onto the core package, I can happened to run into the situation when this

is the current state of tables for Drums of War.

I don't want burden you with figuring out how to integrate these changes into the Core, so for that at least, making a seperate sub-mod to TBP on Knossos seems a no-brainer..
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think the best middle ground is to say that all mods which don't require a table file should be in the main download, and anything which alters the tables can be a separate download. Once Knossos implements filtering it will be pretty easy to only see TBP mods anyway.

So now the question is, do we want a separate vp for mods which don't use tables, or should everything go in the core folders?

I would do a separate VP for those mods so they can be easily identified and fixes of necessary later on.

Offline wesp5

I would do a separate VP for those mods so they can be easily identified and fixes of necessary later on.

Okay, so coming back to my files, this would mean the vps need to be moved into the core folder, but the single files, which are in fact my fixes as I too don't know how to create a vp file, can stay in the data folder, correct? So if somebody would please move the vps we would have three new campaigns and many single missions :)!