Author Topic: BSG: Dawn of War (Freelancer Mod... not quite unique?)  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
BSG: Dawn of War (Freelancer Mod... not quite unique?)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: BSG: Dawn of War (Freelancer Mod... not quite unique?)
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE DAWN OF WAR!!!

Otherwise pretty cool :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
FS2 weapons names. Weird!

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Isn't bad actually. Ok, it takes FOREVER to get a decent ship ( even if you don't get pawned by other players, cause
you don't level up by killing someone/ something, you Lvl up by trading  :wtf: ), but the quest for earth is THE reason to play it.

It has flaws, though. NO JOYSTICK SUPPORT! No Sp mode.

Not that i have a joystick atm...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

That is a bit odd....

Looks interesting though :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Isn't bad actually. Ok, it takes FOREVER to get a decent ship ( even if you don't get pawned by other players, cause
you don't level up by killing someone/ something, you Lvl up by trading  :wtf: ), but the quest for earth is THE reason to play it.

It has flaws, though. NO JOYSTICK SUPPORT! No Sp mode.

Not that i have a joystick atm...

HOLD ON. You can explore? Look for Earth?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, Freelancer was an open-exploration game, so there's no reason why they couldn't work that way.

I wonder how that B5 Mod went, I'll have to look that up one day, the whole Hyperspace thing looked quite interesting...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, Freelancer was an open-exploration game, so there's no reason why they couldn't work that way.

I wonder how that B5 Mod went, I'll have to look that up one day, the whole Hyperspace thing looked quite interesting...

If there are just craploads of Vipers and basestars floating around, I will be very pleased. (I did play Freelancer.) I think I might give this mod a shot.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

HOLD ON. You can explore? Look for Earth?

Yes, but it's pretty tough and it will take a while, though.
You have to follow the story from the show ( almost literally, to get the Arrow of Apollo for instance, you have to do some weird but "canon" stuff ).

You can also go to New Caprica, which is also the only mission the plays in a atmosphere.

Kobol is also there ( the City of God's is a bit ...weird... ).

They have a working FTL, so you can jump around ( using the console, you enter coordinates directly...).
It isn't only a neat feature to save the time flying from one location to another, it can save your life ( the random AI ships are tough Bastards ) and a lot of money ( if you have the cargo hold full of goods and your ship is destroyed you loose everything! ).

Don't even thing of starting a "mission" on your own. You'll loose.
Those Missions are made for multiple players, you manage to destroy the first wave, the second one will mopp you up, even if you have the best fighter under your a**.

You can buy Battlestars or Basestars, but you have to fly A LOT of goods from one place to another.

You start with shuttle and a few bucks.
The fighters lack the FTL drive and have small cargo capacity, but you can handle yourself vs threats.
The bigger ships ( Colonial One, other Freighters have a HUGE cargo hold, but you're screwed if the AI or players attack you, even the ( up to ) 10 turrets on Colonial One wont save you.

All in all fun to play, but it takes forever to get a better ship.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Exactly why I posted it. Wasn't there another case like this years ago, where a mod for some other game had those weapons names?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

The reason for the FS weapon names is because this mod was created by former hardcore FS2 players so the FS names are kind of a tribute. Actually there are a few other Freespace references hidden here and there

To complement Angelus’ comments, trading is only one way to level up. Once you get some combat skills, you can actually fight your way up rather quickly. And mouse control in FL actually works all right.

The quest for Earth is  hard for a good reason, but you can expect to come across all the major landmarks from the series : 12 colonies planets, Ragnar, Kobol, Tomb of Athena, New Caprica, Algae planet, Temple of Five... to name a few.   

Btw that Basestar screenshot is from an old release of the mod, which gets constantly upgraded. You can see the  trailer of a later version here: http://www.bsg-galactica.com/video.htm
Battlestar Galactica mod for Freelancer: www.bsg-galactica.com

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The quest for Earth is  hard for a good reason, but you can expect to come across all the major landmarks from the series : 12 colonies planets, Ragnar, Kobol, Tomb of Athena, New Caprica, Algae planet, Temple of Five... to name a few.

Do we even have canon images showing all of the 12 colonies? I'm Scorpio and I've always wondered about the name of its according colony. Scorpia? Scorpian? And was it a poor colony or a rich one?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Do we even have canon images showing all of the 12 colonies? I'm Scorpio and I've always wondered about the name of its according colony. Scorpia? Scorpian? And was it a poor colony or a rich one?

Scorpia. The Scorpion Fleet Shipyards were located there. Aside from the fact that it has really good paragliding, we don't know much about it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Weren't the SF shipyards(kinds of remind me SF Scorpion) near Tauron? I must have been fooled by what Admiral Cain said when she claimed that before the Cylon attack she was about to get back to Tauron.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Weren't the SF shipyards(kinds of remind me SF Scorpion) near Tauron? I must have been fooled by what Admiral Cain said when she claimed that before the Cylon attack she was about to get back to Tauron.

Yep. Her home was on Tauron, but the fleet shipyards were around Scorpia.