Author Topic: Begin Operation: Useless  (Read 11755 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Begin Operation: Useless

The shot was taken a year ago, way before edits were done. Correcting the spelling gets you edited. You have been warned.

Personally I still think it kicks ass so I felt like sharing.

Enjoy.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hey, not bad. you just rekindled my interest in BWO. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you, know all those screen shots have been made public already, they were releast around the time of the DS scare.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are those Apollos I see?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
of a sort
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ah. They're the Apollo-like things from Twilight, then...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Re: Begin Operation: Useless
Originally posted by BlackDove

The shot was taken a year ago, way before edits were done. Correcting the spelling gets you edited. You have been warned.

Err...Spelling? I can see nothing wrong with the spelling in that pic...
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Ah. They're the Apollo-like things from Twilight, then...

The Creon was Apollo-like? :wtf:

But there's no GTF Creons in BWO. The Laomedon Conclave has long been disbanded.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Not the Creon; maybe I'm thinking of the wrong campaign. Had funny grey-painted Apollos.

A Feddie Story

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey, that was that slightly modified ulyses, right?
do you still have that?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
I still have Dark's SOC Ulyssess :)
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Hey guys!  I used to be the poster Grand_Admiral_Abaht.  I'm glad to see that this project's still going strong.

Tell me Ace, are those Apollos from the same vintage batch that Commander Julia Talstavi ordered in Twilight?  I always loved that command brief you wrote on how it was the Apollo, not the Hercules, that won the Great War.:nod:

The Creon did suck, but I actually liked the NPW canon.  I recall it did decent damage, and the weapon had a neat backstory.

BTW, was the Laomedon Conclave disbanded in Twilight?
Once known as Grand_Admiral_Abaht

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Ace must've been smoking some heavy sh!t when he wrote that.

Hercules won the Great War.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, that all depends on how you define "won".

THOSE are the Apollos I meant, the ones from Twilight. They were grey in ship-selection screen for some reason.

A Feddie Story

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
The Apollo, in any form, Twilight or FS1 vanilla, went out together with the ML-16.

The best it could have served for in time of war, was destroying Asteroids so that a convoy might pass. That's it.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
The Apollo was actually fairly decent for its heyday (2326-2334) and served fairly well against both the PVN and the Shivans. Its strong hull and easily refittable chassis served it well during the chaotic years of the Reconstruction, too.

Plus, I also think the GTA used the Apollo in some form for assault and bombing missions prior to the Herc and Medusa. That's right, the Apollo chassis. Modified variants, yeah, but why come up with a new design when you can churn out lots of parts for the old one and adapt it to a lot of roles at once? :P

Granted an Apollo isn't going to do as well as a shiny new Myrmidon (which among other things is faster and more agile) but hey, it's not 2335 anymore, so what do you expect? :P

Plus the GTA was pretty cash-strapped in the Reconstruction, as evidenced by their inability to stay in one piece, and their massive industrial base in Sol. Thus it was unlikely that the development of the Myrmidon really crystallized until some time after the GTVA popped into existence around '45. Apollos were probably used in the boonies and myriad Terran Blocs and GTVA for a while (well into the Fifties is my guess) and even longer as training fighters.

So, in short, the Herc may have won the Great War, but the Apollo was the stalwart of both the T-V War and the Reconstruction.

*stands firmly behind Apollo* :nod:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:41:32 pm by 51 »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Boomer

You're both wrong.

The Ursa won the Great War.  :p

Who took down the Lucifer? Hmmm?

Although, I like to think that the Ulysses won the war.  It heralded the alliance of Terran and Vasudan in the war against the Shivans.
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
I did forget that Talstavi asked for a wing of Apollos to be yanked from mothballs.

As a ship (both Dark and I agreed on this) it's not bad. Decent manuverability, shields, and hull. Fitted with Prometheus cannons and Hornets it's very effective. (there seems to be some misconception that it can only fit ML-16s as primaries)

The NPW-2 did decent armor damage. The trick behind this gun was that it had splash damage and energy drain along with extra shield damage.

There will be a variant of the NPW-2 in BWO.

The Creon is slow, has a large profile, and has weak armor.

On the other hand, its shield systems were as strong as those on a Shivan bomber. Similarly it had a large energy pool for its six primaries and had a relatively large secondary bank.

It also had a large afterburner pool and high "overclocked" engine speed.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
As a ship (both Dark and I agreed on this) it's not bad. Decent manuverability, shields, and hull.

You were both wrong. It went out with the Anubis, about the time the Ulysses project completed.

The Valkyre overshadowed it as soon as it went into production. It pretty much died there.

The moment the Hercules appeared, with the new construction of engines and the devastating power of its main guns, a new standard was set.

The Apollo died in the first third of FS1. It's junk.

However - a logical MK2 would be able to compete with the Erinyes (Erinyes being the best fighter GTVA has to offer at the end of FS2 - yes the Aries is second to the Erinyes).