Author Topic: whats the best way to go about installing on steam deck  (Read 274 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
whats the best way to go about installing on steam deck
holidays brought indigestion, depression, unquenchable wrath, and apparently a steam deck. after some recovery time and at least four trips to the dispensary, 3 to the liquor store and twice to the brothel boat, i think its time to start putting games on the thing. my steam library, with me being a late adopter has like six games in it. but i got lots of games circa 1985-2010, some of which i ripped before my last optical drive bit the dust. after having gotten all my emulators sorted out, minecraft, kerbal space program, and some of my mechwarrior games (stupid epic store) its time for a couple more. so what better than an aging space sim with linux support.

now last time i put freespace on linux (about a dozen years ago) what quite the ordeal. i had to build from source, and from its lack of presence in the steamos repo (and it had at least 6 different quake-derived engines), i presume thats still the case. in a post legalization world, this arcane knowledge is lost to me. now i could probibly dump my fs folder, which hasnt changed in at least a decade, run the windows version and proton would probibly sort it all out for me. but i figured id check to see if there is an easier way. now theres the installer, and i bet that's compiled for windows, and i dont want to have to get 2 pieces of windows software working on linux, that is beyond my patience.

anyway going to go see about og starcaft (the one from the cd i got in the '90s, im not buying it twice) while i wait for a reply.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:55:30 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: whats the best way to go about installing on steam deck
some followup for the 46 (really that seems like a lot) people who looked at this hoping for something useful.

so the knossos installer doesnt work, because the os is read only and so it cant build things (i figured that out trying to build dxx, i compiled it on a raspberry pi just fine a couple years ago thanks to its short list of dependencies). even got ssh working for the terminal onslaught only to pitter out when i tried to sudo apt-get the dependencies, apparently no apt, only pacman and flatpacks. pacman informed me that the system was read only. unless knossos is in a flatpack somewhere.

classic installer doesmt seem to want to run. its java, so it should run. minecraft java edition works so idk why it wont run. jre isn't even in the repo. tried running the exe directly with the command line copypasta'd right out of the launcher ini. (granted the exe i have is 3.7.0, and all the other stuff in the dir is set up for that version). proton managed to run both windows dxxes, starcraft even worked without a hitch, but it choked on fso, so i guess i finally found something it cant do.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well i got the game to run finally, in the barest minimalist config possible. no fancy graphics, just vanilla. still got to tweak my controls to my liking. but its late and i still shun uppers.

was looking forward to running my old ships, but the last version that mod supported is two major revisions removed from what knossos will support. not sure what transpired between 3.7.0 and whatever the current version is. 3.9.0 is probibly my best bet. looks like the mod system seems to have been completely revamped (or knossos moved some directories from where they used to be, or linux is being linuxy) and il have to figure out how to rejigger this thing. il probibly just delete it and play vanilla. thats been my preferred way to backup files over the last decade. not really gonna get into modding again, id sooner work on my own engine and that project has been neglected for about half as long.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Have you tried Knossos.NET?  Linux is supported: https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Have you tried Knossos.NET?  Linux is supported: https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

yea, getting that running was kind of an issue. but i found the instructions on the support forum. doing it on the deck made it difficult. should probibly update my main rig install as well, but it was more about seeing what the deck could do than wanting to play the game. the deck is weird for a linux system, seems to do everything in an unconventional way, especially when it comes to compiling from sources. use debian and its derivatives everywhere else. except my main rig which runs win10 ltsc.

kind of confused about what knossos was doing to my directory. it was detecting my old mods and builds but couldnt run them, and seemed to be sticking new builds elsewhere. i guess that happens when youre 10+ years out of date.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 04:26:35 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN