Author Topic: Project: Scavengers  (Read 14868 times)

Offline magatsu1

very nice. how about adding some small stub wings just to balance it out a little.
Going back to the original thread, how about a dedicated hi-jack ship (anyone remember the junk-yard dog in Homeworld ?)
I suppose it could be a tug with extra armour, so they could grab a ship, jump out and "break in" back at base.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Take inspiration from yon race that Voyager fought a couple of times in ST. Uhh... they wanted water and stuff... Seska went over to thier side. You know who I mean.

I like the concept btw, and that ship u posted ain't too bad either.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Originally posted by vyper
Take inspiration from yon race that Voyager fought a couple of times in ST. Uhh... they wanted water and stuff... Seska went over to thier side. You know who I mean.

I like the concept btw, and that ship u posted ain't too bad either.

Thats the kozun. But if you use ANYTHING from ST:VOY besides 7of9 I will rip your throat out! :p

I mean, I like ST but VOY was a disgrace to the entire sci-fi world.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Well I hate ST so don't worry :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Venom
Ok, so the question is: should I keep going on with that design and do the whole scavenger fleet, or not? I'd like more than two replies...

Yes, absolutely. :nod: The one you have looks really good so far, and I'm sure people would fine use for others like it.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne

Thats the kozun. But if you use ANYTHING from ST:VOY besides 7of9 I will rip your throat out! :p

I mean, I like ST but VOY was a disgrace to the entire sci-fi world.

I can't stand watching Voyager. It's too awful for words.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Yes! Do it pleeease! That fighter looks amazing - can't wait to see the big ships....;7 :) :cool::yes: :carried away:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Nico

• Venom
hop, update on the scout ( which is nothing like a scout, but whatever ):

I made a few modifications, added some stuff. Still a few modelling work to do, then I'll work on a better mapping.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hurm... Well, I can;t decide if I like it better or not - the throne was simple and very basic - looked like a cheap swarming fighter, which suits my comprehension of a scavenger fleet. Yhis one is more complex and bulkier, so it;s a more significant achievement technically, but I think its lost a bit of the junkyardish feel...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
just made it so the cockpit is a separate module, to explain how both vasudans and terrans can pilot the same ship: they just remove the bubble and put another one instead. as for the rest, there's just more protection plates, and the missile launcher under the ship. I made it shorter, too.
Imagine it w/o the armor plates: you'll notice it's still very small.
still, to me, more advanced= smaller ( optimisation and all that crap )so it would make sense that their ships are larger than GTVA ones.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 11:27:30 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
just made it so the cockpit is a separate module, to explain how both vasudans and terrans can pilot the same ship: they just remove the bubble and put another one instead. as for the rest, there's just more protection plates, and the missile launcher under the ship. I made it shorter, too.
Imagine it w/o the armor plates: you'll notice it's still very small.
still, to me, more advanced= smaller ( optimisation and all that crap )so it would make sense that their ships are larger than GTVA ones.

Or you could go with the approach that the scavenger ships don't have the redundancy of a top of the line military (or civilian for that matter) vessle.  That could explain its size if you wanted to make it smaller.  More than anything else, I wonder about the propeller thing on the back, the design you've settled with looks like a cliping fest for FS2 on one of its better days.  As for the new design, I like it and I think most people would find it an improvement over the previous version, though you may need to post up a more comperable screenshot to convince them of that.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by StratComm

More than anything else, I wonder about the propeller thing on the back, the design you've settled with looks like a cliping fest for FS2 on one of its better days.

nah, don't worry, there's nothing really complicated down there actually.
SCREW CANON!

Nice scavenger ship:)
Square-Enix employee

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
hop, update on the scout ( which is nothing like a scout, but whatever ):

What is that 'crystal-like' white thing? Is it supposed to be the cockpit?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah. scan of a B17 nose turret, to be honest. gonna edit it later, won't stay like that, it's just a template.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Also you can get away a bit with the size thing simply by having them launch from a capital ship all the time, that way they wouldn't need room for jump drives?

I prefer the shape of the new one, the older one looked more than passingly like a swarmer from Homeworld.

Flipside :D

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
This one looks great, but so does the old one! Do both - have the first one as the standard fighter, and this 'un as a heavy assault ship or bomber. Make it a bit bigger, and stick another missile pod on each side between the armour plates. :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by pyro-manic
This one looks great, but so does the old one! Do both - have the first one as the standard fighter, and this 'un as a heavy assault ship or bomber. Make it a bit bigger, and stick another missile pod on each side between the armour plates. :)

the old one doesn't exists anymore :p well, it still exists, but it looks, well, just look at the latest pic ;)
really, I don't see the pb with the size of the ship, anyway. It won't be big, so what do you worry about? :) The thing is, with tiled maps, it looks more detailled, so it might look bigger than a ship with regular maps, but it won't be a huge ship or anything.
I like imagining it like one of those minisubmarines, now that it has turned that shape, btw :)
For the "no jumpdrive" thing, that's what I planed already ;)
Will be a small capship, tho, coz I guess many people wouldn't be happy having to put a huge destroyer everytime they want to use scavenger fighters. will be cruiser sized to the most.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Amon_Re

• http://www.kefren.be
Say, Venom, did you ever finish those shivans & terrans in spacesuits?

Need some corpses for one of my missions ;) (human, that is)

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Nico

• Venom
that's one of the things I have to complete :p
SCREW CANON!