Author Topic: Bugs in the Ross 128 mission  (Read 11045 times)

Offline JarC

Bugs in the Ross 128 mission
nope, that one is supposed to do some music triggering...or the alpha-1 waiting to enter the scene...I think...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 03:12:57 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You probably have a mod installed that's messing things up.  The Ulysses is supposed to be a planet.  The music trigger is a Cain that shows up later.

And the mission most certainly has a debriefing - several, in fact, including one for that specific situation.  I wouldn't forget something that simple.

Can you play it again, without the extra mods, and see what happens?

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
It -does- show up as a planet, with the VP version.  The "test" mission gives the Ulysses.

I swear on my life that I have no mods installed.  If all else fails, I'll uninstall FS1 and put it back, but apart from Silent Threat, I have no add-ons or anything else weird that should be messing up user-created missions.

I plan to try giving the last standalone mission (the one with one of the offending sexps deleted) a shot when I have a little time to spare.  If that doesn't work, I'll go for an uninstall.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh.  If you deactivate the VP, the table inside it will also be deactivated and the planet will be replaced by a Ulysses.  Don't deactivate the VP - just pick and choose the mission you're using.

Offline Antares

Ran all three versions of the mission through compatibility mode (and included the VP each time), and always ended up with the same results: something isn't triggering within the mission to keep it moving.  All the action stops after the cruisers jump in.

When I tried to run the "edited" ross128-fow.fsm, I got an error I hadn't been receiving before:

Error: Argument count is illegal.

In sexpression: ( < ( hits-left "Sigma 1" ) )
(Error appears to be: <)
File:D:\PROJECTS\FREESPACE\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 3245

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

The only problem I can conceive of right now is that either something in my current install has been corrupted, or Silent Threat has somehow managed to screw things up.  I'll do a clean install later and try things again.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Antares

A fresh install didn't help.  Looks like I'll be waiting for the Port. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ugh.

It *is* possible I messed up the sexp logic, even though I checked it pretty thoroughly.  What were the last things that happened?  How much of Kappa and Sigma got through?  How much of Alpha was left?  What was the last message you heard?

Offline Antares

Here's how things go when I use the standard mission VP.

I'm running XP Home and running FS.exe directly, in Win98/WinME compatibility mode.  When I commit to the mission, I boot to desktop with two errors:  the first is the "When-arrive Delta" posted earlier in this thread.  The second is this one:

In sexpression: ( send-message )
(Error appears to be: send-message)

Call stack:

FS is minimized while this is on-screen.  I click OK for both errors, and FS maximizes and continues to load.

The mission appears to progress normally.  The synthesized speech is working.  I choose my loadout and begin the sortie.

I scan Navpoints Alpha and Beta.  Freighters Kappa arrive.  Vasudans attack.  Vasudans suck, so we kill them.  Transports Sigma arrive (this is the last scripted transmission I receive).  Wipe out the remaining Vasudans.  Cruiser group arrives, but there's no transmission to announce it.  From here on in, nothing happens.

Playing on medium difficulty.  I'm reasonably sure that all friendly fighters survived; Alpha wing survived for certain, I never called in Delta, and the Hercs fare better against the Vasudans than the Apollos do.  All members of Kappa and Sigma wings survived, and successfully jumped out.

After scanning the Navbuoys, that particular objective reads as being "cleared" in the directives window.  The directives to protect Kappa and Sigma wings are never cleared, even after the ships jump out.  "Patrol the Area" also remains incomplete.

One Chronos freighter belonging to no set wing hangs around near the Riviera without going anywhere, but I assume that's intentional.

On the last playthrough I did a little tinkering with the debugging mode, just to see what would happen.  I destroyed all the cruisers (one of which prompted the arrival of the Einstein, which quickly jumped back out), the stray freighter, and the Riviera.  After the Riviera blew, I was given clearance to jump, and received a full mission debriefing.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Originally posted by Antares
I choose my loadout and begin the sortie.

Not much of a loadout though :sigh:

Originally posted by Antares
On the last playthrough I did a little tinkering with the debugging mode, just to see what would happen.  I destroyed all the cruisers (one of which prompted the arrival of the Einstein, which quickly jumped back out), the stray freighter, and the Riviera.  After the Riviera blew, I was given clearance to jump, and received a full mission debriefing.

I assume that debriefing didn't go to well?

I also tried compatibility mode for Win98/WinME and got to exactly the same problem as Antares. I extracted the FOW-Ross128 mission and opened it in FRED with no problems and compatibility mode was off, though I have no idea what the error could be, I've even deleted delta wing and then another error came up but its not specific, well except when it says line 3288.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
I've got a problem............
Well, ive also got the same problem. I get 2 error messeges (one about delta wing, and another about some send-messege s-exp).

So i click ok, and maximise FS1, and let the mission load. After it loads, everything seems fine except the transport, departure isnt announced (ie. i didnt know that the transports had warped out),
(Oh, and for what it's worth, i lost Alpha 2, not sure about other wings)

And after the 4 cruisers, arrive nothing else happens.The arrival of the cruisers isnt even announced. And i couldnt see the planet.

In using Win98 SE, a clean install of Conflict: Freespace (without ST), the VP file of Ross 128. (my FS1 is a cd version and is patched to v1.06, btw)

The .FSM mission files launch properly in FRED. But they just wont play properly, they give the same problems as above, and all files give at least 2 of the following 4 errors:

In sexpression: ( or )
(Error appears to be: or)

Call stack:

In sexpression: ( < ( hits-left "Sigma 1" ) )
(Error appears to be: <)

Call stack:

In sexpression: ( when
   ( has-arrived-delay 0 "Delta" )
)
(Error appears to be: when)

Call stack:

In sexpression: ( send-message )
(Error appears to be: send-message)

Call stack:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 02:56:29 am by 1659 »

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Goober5000
Has everybody updated to v1.06?

yes:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Hey guys, what is the EAX addon thingy, you were talking about back on page 2? Coz i dont think i have it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 03:16:51 pm by 1659 »

Offline Antares

EAX is a type of sound setting, but not all sound cards support it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It sounds like XP is randomly deleting some sexps.  Has anyone tried playing it on 98, ME, or 2000?

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Helloooooo????

didnt anyone read my post at the top of this page??????

I pretty sure i mentioned that im having problems running your mission on Win98.

Have a look up there coz i dont feel like retyping everything all over again.

And about that EAX thingy, im still using my onboard sound that came with the motherboard, so im pretty sure it doent support it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I missed the Win98 part.

I honestly don't know what's going on.  I double-checked my mission and all the sexps are in order.  Something's messed up with the mission load routine.

Offline JarC

I don't get it...we now have reports of win98/XP not being able to run the mission, even on clean installs. So why should it be the mission load routines if most other missions I tried, load perfectly normally?..uhhh, wild grasping at straws here...does FS1 have any Y2K issues?
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Y2K is purely a human problem.  Humans round off at 100.  Computers round off at 256, so they shouldn't see anything until 2226 (1970 + 256).  If you want to check, though, set your computer's clock back.

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Goober5000
Y2K is purely a human problem.  Humans round off at 100.  Computers round off at 256, so they shouldn't see anything until 2226 (1970 + 256).  If you want to check, though, set your computer's clock back.

sure....that's why lots of prgrams had troubles handling the Y2K as date tryin to convert the year part to 19100...and if that is the case then setting back the clock won't help as files also have datestamps and I ain't about to go and stamp every file before 2000 just to test ...
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
19100 is only a bug with the display, not a bug with the computation.  2000 = 1900 + 100.  The rest of the program works fine.