Author Topic: Post 3.6 Features  (Read 17859 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
and what about just a "critical subobject" system?
By default all the ships will have "hull", with the standard assigned hitpoints, as critical subobject (for backward compatibility).
When a critical subobject (or group of subobjects) will be destroyed, set "hull" hitpoints=0
Critical subobjects will be added in the tables, with (possibly
) some operators, examples:
-critical     ("engines" "bridge" "powercore")
the ship will be destroyed when hull or any of the above subobjects will be destroyed
-critical (["engines" "bridge"] "powercore")
the ship will be destroyed when hull or powercore or bridge AND engines will be destroyed

Also a localized damage factor would be very very cool.
To do this I think you should assign a different damage factor to different trextures.
This would be obviously problematic when the ship is unwrapped.
Another solution would be to use some other discriminant factor.
For example, if kazan could add it to pcs, the system could assign different damage factors to different Truespace reflectance values(or maybe luminosity or any other poly-specific variable)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
In the case of things like 'Bridge' and 'engines' you don't really want the ship to blow up. You want it to be turned into a derelict or something.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Originally posted by Flaser
Not that I know of.

It depends on the shine-map the ship uses - the ones GE did are pretty much specular highlighting 'cause they only allow little parts of a ship to shine - Lightspeed's map are generally more shiny.

Some FS1 ship can even go without shinemaps.

Where can I get the ones GE did?? I'd like to take a look at them
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Zarax

Well, what about setting threshold + resistance only to non subsystem points?
It would be far simpler to implement.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Raven2001

Where can I get the ones GE did?? I'd like to take a look at them

It's not really about which ones he did or I did.

They're not the same maps.

He did the FS1 ships, and I did the ships in FS2 (excluding the FS1 ships) - so only combining both shinemap zips you'll have shinemaps for every ship.

His shinemaps are in the mediaVPs.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by mikhael
In the case of things like 'Bridge' and 'engines' you don't really want the ship to blow up. You want it to be turned into a derelict or something.

well it was just an example, this way you can specify any subsystem you want.
And I was thinking at WC prophecy, where the capships don't exactly blow, they are dead after you destroy bridge+engines but they remain there as derelicts.
BTW with this system you may add specific flaws to a ship, like the deathstar's end of the trench, or the nascelles on a startrek ship, etc.

mmm
I was thinking...what about making a derelict version of a capship as debris????? is still there a polylimit on the debris? because this could be a very very cool thing to do.......

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I'd like to see WC-style between-mission 'interactive movie' interaction. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Lightspeed

It's not really about which ones he did or I did.

They're not the same maps.

He did the FS1 ships, and I did the ships in FS2 (excluding the FS1 ships) - so only combining both shinemap zips you'll have shinemaps for every ship.

His shinemaps are in the mediaVPs.

I really wish you'd do the FS1 ships. GE didn't make shine maps. He made specular highlighted maps which looked like poo.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Lightspeed
I'd like to see WC-style between-mission 'interactive movie' interaction. :)

That always annoyed me in WC. It's not like you were ever going to not click on the characters and chat with them so they might as well have done all the "interaction" in a cutscene and saved me the bother of clicking :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
about the critical subobject thing, I was thinking..

a subobject to be critical also has to be destroyable, so it already has a table entry.
instead of creating a new string "critical", just add for example a letter (-a,-b..) to the string with the hitpoints.... this way the impact on the file size will be minimal.
The letters will identify critical groups, so if all the critical subobjects have a different letter, each of them will make the ship die if destroyed.
If two or more subobjects will have the same letter, the ship will die only if all the subobjects with the same letter will be destroyed.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
(just another suggestion, sorry if mentioned elsewhere)

what about having the option to replace the particle trails with a sort of 'fire effect' - i.e. like there's a large breach and the oxygen is burning off into space.  Not sure how this would look, granted.....

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
KARMA, isn't there already something like critical subsystems, such as with the Lucifer.  Regardless of what the hull strenght is, as soon as all 5 reactors go down, the ship blows up.  However, I do think opening this feature up would be good, since it might help with some Star Trek conversions.  Omni said that when he linked (like with the 3-barrel cannons on the Orion) all the firepoints on a phaser strip (ring, arc, whatever), it would solve the multiple shots problem, but suddenly the entire ring would be targetted with a large box.  I thought that if the firepoints on an arc were made to be untargetable subsystems but still linked, and then have a single, unarmed turret or subsystem behind the main arc that could be targetted, it might solve those problems.  When this subsystem (or turret) is destroyed, all the firepoints on it would self destruct, simulating the phaser arc's destruction.  Does this idea hold water?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Looks like people didn't really get the core of it.

I called it multiple stage development, because I wanted to break the whole concept down to implementable improovements.

Goober I know it would need the massive rewritting of the code therefore I proposed several stages for a development should anyone try.

Right now I would be happy with the implementation of STAGE I alone, since it will end the big ship/big gun flag frenzy and offer modders a more handy system to take care of the issue.

STAGE II could be harder - and it would definitly need more work - but it still won't change too much of the graphical system. All it does is simulate a wear of the armor.
It adds one more stat to the ship than STAGE I and makes the earlier developed armor system a function of the stat.

I know it is a lot more complicated to code - but so far it didn't involve any localisation of damage or simulation of different armors, only a ship by ship armor simulation.

So yes, this is would need extensive coding - but so far no change of the graphical engine as far as I see.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 10:01:01 am by 997 »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Brainless comment: Lower / more efficient memory usage = good.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh yes, and theres one more, this one has certainly been asked before, but I can't remember if anything came of it....

Would it be possible to have the ability to define charge up/down on any turret regardless of whether it is a beam or not?

:D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ooh That'd rawk! It'd be hella cool for large ass pulse weaponry! :D:D:D
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Zarax

And maybe having a loopsound for fighter beams, so they will be more "realistic"
The Best is Yet to Come

I'd love to see a point-camera-at-object sexp for the purposes of in-engine cutscenes that takes 3 arguments - distance from object, angle of view from x axis, and angle of view from y axis. Or something similar, anyway.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
...request for when the code isn't in frozen status anymore.
I figured having a good glass effect could be done much more simply w/o all the hassle of greyscale maps, etc:
the idea would have a second invisible map ( invis2.pcx ), to which you could link a specular map. So you'd just see the reflections, but no map under it. Instant, easy glass cockpits for you.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by SadisticSid
I'd love to see a point-camera-at-object sexp for the purposes of in-engine cutscenes that takes 3 arguments - distance from object, angle of view from x axis, and angle of view from y axis. Or something similar, anyway.

You can do that by hiding the hud and using point-object-at-location to turn the player's ship.