Community Projects > The FreeSpace Upgrade Project

Low poly models with LODs

(1/2) > >>

Nightmare:
Would it be possible to remove the LODs from all the remaining Low-poly models, either by deleting them in the model or altering the "$Detail distance:" so that it is next to impossible that they'd be used in a mission?

Most of these ships (including the Demon) have as many LOD0 polies as many current INF ships have in LOD3, so there shouldn't be perfomance loss; and the LODs make them look even worse next to the HTLed ones.

mjn.mixael:
Sure you can do that. Of course that's treating the symptoms and not the disease. If you're seeing LODs in a mission pop in and out, the detail distance is incorrect and/or the LOD is poorly made.

Galemp:
The Mjolnir comes to mind. Its LOD distances are adapted from the smaller sentry guns like the Alastor, not something the size of a cruiser with rotating objects.
IMO this should be addressed with a modular table in the MediaVPs. Now if only I could dig up my SVN access credentials...

mjn.mixael:
There's already a modular table that deals with detail distance. It just needs to be edited.

Nightmare:
I managed to find the issue that caused me to write the initial post, apparently I messed up some setting in my mod. :banghead:

Still, the Argo uses 29 tilemaps, most of them for LODs of a ship with 500 polies. Don't think it effects performance that much though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version