Author Topic: X2: The threat questions Re: Engine Speeds  (Read 4321 times)

X2: The threat questions Re: Engine Speeds
OK, so I'm finally trying to give the copy of X2 that came with my vid card a decent try.

Got a question though - on the second mission, after completing it I was given a transport.  The transport claims to have it's max speed upgradable to 130 - however, after purchasing engine tuning, limited to 16 for some reason, I'm still only going 38.

This, is to say the least, painful.

So, how exactly do I get that speed up to the advertised 130 maximum?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: X2: The threat questions Re: Engine Speeds
Just out of curiosity, is the hull of your transport 100% or will a sneeze blow it away?

Oh wait, that's the transport with only 5% hull left, right?

Take it to the warf or shipyard (one of these, can't remember which) and repair it.

As a rule, your speed is a function between the ship's stardard speed, it's hull percentage and the number of engine tuning upgrades bought.

P.S.

If you want to see what speed really is buy a Paranid Pegasus  ;7 Kingdom End to Getsu Fune and back in no time at all.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:29:29 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Ghostavo just pointet out your problem :)

Damaged ships can't reach maximum velocity. The transport you get at this moment is badly damaged. Just sit in it, hit the Sinza-Engine (you know what that is, don't you ? :) Otherwise you will sooner or later die of boredom due to the travel times)  and fly north to the Argon Shipyard in Argon Prime where you can repair the vessel (if you have money)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
One of the more annoying speed issues with the game .  The wost being that the Xenon capital ships can outrun your M3  :doubt:
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, the entire fight system was never something that throw you off the chair.  X-Games are incredibly fun for building a economic empire out of virtually nothing. Also the life of the universe was great, and it was always fun flying around and capturing other ships. But fighting was very annoying (10% enemy deaths of laserfire, 90% enemy deaths because they kamikaze into you)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Thanks guys.  That was indeed it.  Kind of annoying that the quest reward is a ship that's broken to begin with. 

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Yes, the entire fight system was never something that throw you off the chair.  X-Games are incredibly fun for building a economic empire out of virtually nothing. Also the life of the universe was great, and it was always fun flying around and capturing other ships. But fighting was very annoying (10% enemy deaths of laserfire, 90% enemy deaths because they kamikaze into you)

So the trick is to have a game with a vibrant economy, but have a good combat model as well.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

More then that, you need a readily accessible economy, and a combat model that's fun even when you're relatively small.  A deep economy, which requires lots of tedium to get involved in to any extent is a barrier, as X2 displays.  And combat, I can't tell you if it's good or not, as you also need to sit through the economic tedium to take part in combat, since the starting ship is little more then a moving target, and a decent combat ship is prohibitively expensive unless you get involved in the economy.

Hard trick to pull off, indeed.

Does anyone know of a mod or tweak to make the SETI factor go above 10?  I'm thinking 60 or 100 would be more appropriate to the plodding pace of the game.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
That game looks interesting... can anyone get me it? Seriously... if you know a way I can get it (free, preferably), tell me!!
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Free, no.  If you want it, I'd look on overstock.com.  They had the sequel to it for like $5 last time I looked.

Be aware though, it's not all kittens and roses.  In fact, an awful lot of it, if not the majority, sucks royal goat balls. 

Offline neoterran

That game looks interesting... can anyone get me it? Seriously... if you know a way I can get it (free, preferably), tell me!!

BT
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its available on steam for like $15.  The steam version has the starforce protection removed too.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Actually, both X2 and X3 no longer have starforce after the latest patch.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
if you think X2 is hard and confusing X3 blows you outta the watter, you get into a fight 10 min after starting the game no tutorial no nothing just 50 pirates blowing the **** out of you while you search for the "fire" button....
I hate My signature!

Eh.  Confusing, not anymore.  Just that it's combat sucked largely due to piss poor balancing, and the economy lacked in interface, accessibility, balance, and features.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
in the 3rd mission (where you fly the transport) you can make an easy 300k if you go to a dwarf and sell off the cargo expansion components of the mission ship (which gets lost anyway) but noone will notice the stuff missing from the ship ;)
I hate My signature!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
OK I am currently on the Orion(Bastion) for speed adjustment. Alot of ships to go...

I'll upload the triple-speed stuff when I'm done.

Oh, did anyone else know that the Terran Mara has the ability to move on the x (left-right) and y (up-down) axis? more then just the z axis (forward)?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Buh? The bofu is getting to your head.