Author Topic: XCOM is back!  (Read 9740 times)

Offline mxlm

and then:

No. I really, really wanted to play X-Com: Alliance. This is the closest I'll ever get.

Hell yes.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
2k is hot.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mxlm

Looks as though there'll be some base building, team management, and mission selection.

So, yeah, Alliance. Only took ten years.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
base building, team management, and mission selection.

It's Alliance.
****. Yes.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Looks as though there'll be some base building, team management, and mission selection.

orly?
then sweet, an FPS with base building!

MEANWHILE, AT EA:
LOL C&C4, we take out the base building, and this will be the greatest RTS ever!

Offline mxlm

They took the base building out of Dawn of War II and that was pretty awesome.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They took the base building out of Dawn of War II and that was pretty awesome.

Because it ended up closer to tabletop that way. C&C has no such reserve of good will to fall back upon.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

While not disputing the latter point, I'm uncertain the former is correct. Are there really that many tabletop players, particularly in the US, and is there that much overlap between folks who play paint your unit zoo and folks who play a ridiculously fast-paced RTS based on the painting zoo?

Ah, if only we had actual, y'know, sales figures for PC titles these days. Oh well.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
While not disputing the latter point, I'm uncertain the former is correct. Are there really that many tabletop players, particularly in the US, and is there that much overlap between folks who play paint your unit zoo and folks who play a ridiculously fast-paced RTS based on the painting zoo?

Relic has gone on record as having made gameplay decisions (for example the DoW2 retreat mechanic is explicitly based on tabletop fall back mechanics; less damage from ranged and more if somebody makes melee) based on trying to emulate the feel of tabletop.

Also asking if there are really enough tabletop players to sell several million copies of DoW2 is deeply amusing. Yes, there's overlap enough as well. Even a cursory interface with the 40k community would let you know that.

A Feddie Story

Well, seeing as a new OXM issue has arrived in my mailbox with XCOM (note: not X-COM) as the cover story. Essentially, you play as an FBI agent battling globs of self-repairing goo in order to collect Elerium. Whoopee....

No strategy involved here what-so-ever.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!

Hard Light Productions:

Offline mxlm

I was lied to!

Actually, no, that's more or less in line with what the foreign language mags were reported to say.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
So wait.. is this Alliance or just a pile of crap like I feared?

Hard Light Productions:

We may have to wait and see.

I'll let you know on launch day.

Ha ha, just kidding maybe.

Offline mxlm

* Mission dossiers are put together by the intelligence and research centres in the base. Dossiers will list effects such as high winds, insect swarms, ball lightning and animal attacks. "The different effects listed by the dossier also pertain to the presence of specific aliens to research or elements to be recovered."
    * "Spreading his efforts across the country will also endear XCOM's investors to contribute additional funds. Optimising your operation is the heart of XCOM's strategy, and from what we've seen, it feels a hell of a lot like the original."
    * The engineering section of your base can produce weapons, armour, gadgets, and base upgrades.
    * Lead designer Ed Orman says: "None of these missions will play the same because they're neither linear nor scripted. There are systems at play that populate these places with enemies, determining where they're going to be and where your goals are. The mission map is an open, non-linear play space."
    * No Sectoids or Chrysalids. (Or any aliens from the original, presumably.)
    * The black blobs are just one of XCOM's "diverse alien enemies".

So says bamboo. I'd point out that the thing about not playing the same is entirely possible. I just picked up SWAT4 from Direct2Drive, and the folks responsible for that game managed it pretty well.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well,, PCG UK has run an article on it.

Reading between the paid-for-hype lines, we have a crap. Time to go threaten the UFO:AI and Xenonauts people again to force them to speed it up.

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I won't miss the Sectoids, but it's just not X-COM without Chrysalids... :blah:

Hard Light Productions:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!

Hard Light Productions:

Oh great, now it's a Men in Black video game.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems