Author Topic: X: Rebirth  (Read 14676 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I can wait. That's mostly what you do in X anyway:

Buy. Wait. Trade. Wait. Fly. Wait. Think. Wait.
I always found that if you're waiting with nothing to do, you're insufficiently involved with your empire. :P

Then again, I am the kind of person who goes from "just started the game" to "just bought a carrier" in about an hour...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I don't like the only flying one kind of ship thing. Part of the joy of X3 was gradually getting your hands on a new ships, trying them out, etc. I understand they're aiming for a more mainstream, less sandboxxy game with this one, but I wish there would be more than just one ship.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I don't like the only flying one kind of ship thing. Part of the joy of X3 was gradually getting your hands on a new ships, trying them out, etc. I understand they're aiming for a more mainstream, less sandboxxy game with this one, but I wish there would be more than just one ship.
Rebirth isn't meant to be compared to X3; it's meant to be compared to the original X: Beyond the Frontier, where you flew around in a single, upgradable ship, and managed your commercial empire by remote.

They are still going to allow you to take personal action by remote-controlling drones, and apparently you can dock with your capital ships, so you'll still be able to experience what the universe is like for different kinds of ships.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I only played X3TC and well.. tons, hours of waiting, veeery slow pacing, I don't think I want to go back into the series. Singleplayer gets dull with time anyway, and here its also so terribly SLLOW. It's, however, good to see space sims again [X is after all a ton of flying to be done] :yes:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Singleplayer gets dull with any game after a while.
The X series did clock a significant number of hours for me.

Besides, nothing beats creating an empire out of nothing,claiming an entire system as your own and assembling a large fleet to kill the everloving s*** out of enemies.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
well, I'm sold

Except not really. Gonna have to wait until the reviews are out to see what the gameplay is like; none of the X games have so far been enjoyable for me.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Wait, when I first heard of X: Rebirth (this morning), I was under the impression that it was a MMO game. Am I wrong?
Potato!

Offline docfu

I don't think it's an MMO. A lot of things would break instantly(unless they stopped using that time-enhancement thing.)

I would hope it comes out to be an awesome game, but I can't have my hopes up for anything X series. Yes, it was a lot of fun, but it seems like even though every upgrade to the game is jaw dropping to look at, it's just not fun to play.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Topics merged because as far as I could tell they were about the exact same thing.

I'm also rather sitting on the fence regarding this game. I played X2 through X3TC, and though I'm not a hardcore player who owns an entire sector, several fleets and hundreds of factory-complexes, I enjoyed them most of the time until I had my corvette or frigate and a handful of factories ( I really don't see the point in letting running the game over night with time compression on to earn the ridiculous amounts of money needed for a carrier fleet).
So IMO an overhaul of the game was necessary. What can be seen in the trailer looks impressive, but considering the very long development time (7 years) I fear the bad consequences of feature creep. Exploring space stations on foot sounds great, but I'm skeptical that the devs manage to populate them with enough NPCs, so you won't end up wandering down empty corridors, and subsequently stop exploring the stations after the tenth station or so.... I just hope that all the dev time spent in creating the interiors won't be in vain...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:03:58 pm by SkycladGuardian »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It sure looks shiny. But it sure takes more than shinies to make a game (BF3, I look at you...).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline ShivanSpS

This is not like others X games, you either love it or hate it at first sight. Its likely that some X fans will also hate it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I don't think it's an MMO. A lot of things would break instantly(unless they stopped using that time-enhancement thing.)
It is not an MMO, and they stopped using the Singularity Engine Time Accelerator. Seriously, though, they've stated many, many times that there will never be multiplayer in the X series.

I would hope it comes out to be an awesome game, but I can't have my hopes up for anything X series. Yes, it was a lot of fun, but it seems like even though every upgrade to the game is jaw dropping to look at, it's just not fun to play.
Almost all of the problems with the previous X games (even up to X3: Albion Prelude, which has the most up-to-date version of the engine and therefore ameliorates the most usability issues from previous games) are due to being essentially upgrades bolted onto a 15-year-old-engine. Yes, Albion Prelude still uses code from the original X: Beyond the Frontier. Almost all of the major problems with the series (especially AI pathfinding) were due to issues that couldn't be removed without rewriting the engine from scratch.

...Which, by the way, they have now done. I cannot overstate how jazzed I am for this game.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The graphics in that trailer are amazing
I'd be so sweet if we could get structures like that in freespace
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
We probably could, but this would probably bump the requirements to something similar like X:R.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The AI would go nuts in seconds.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Belisarius

• I will not give up my ship!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Legends of Middleearth
... they've stated many, many times that there will never be multiplayer in the X series.

Sorry, but that's just not true. The major aim still is the creation of a X-Online Universe and X: Rebirth is one step closer to that goal. It's engine is build the way to add PvP games in later development. It's just that Egosoft can't afford the money to produce the XOU game they want, so they're producing singleplayer games to get the money collected, though X3 Reunion up to X3 Albion Prelude ended in a financial disaster for the company, so it was for a period of time even questionable if X Rebirth would ever be released under the flag of Deep Silver.

Anyway, the new engine makes use of parts of the old engine. Bernd Lehahn released, along with the trailer, two different video documentations where it's quite obvious that the steering and controling elements haven't changed at all. But as I know from older talks with him, the engine is quite more flexible than the old ever could have been, so I'm also waiting for the first reviews before I even consider to buy it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I still dosbox the hell out of this..

Best floppy backup decision of my life.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I still dosbox the hell out of this..

Best floppy backup decision of my life.

On this topic, a guy I watch on YT does an instructional series on the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlJVE50mCI&list=SP9E1E1F7AA6193498