Author Topic: Xbox One revealed today  (Read 19336 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Xbox One revealed today
PS4 confirmed to play used games normally, costs 100 dollar less than the xbone and does not have always online drm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
http://www.destructoid.com//ul/255967-image.jpg

(But both companies think that the exchange rate is 1$:1€, assholes)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The exchange rates are completely ****ed (even after taking into account that the american price does not include VAT). Still, 399 EUR sounds like a pretty excellent idea to me, and is certainly within the range of what I would consider an acceptable price for this thing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The exchange rates are completely ****ed (even after taking into account that the american price does not include VAT). Still, 399 EUR sounds like a pretty excellent idea to me, and is certainly within the range of what I would consider an acceptable price for this thing.
Agreed.
Though right now I'm still not convinced I should get either of these consoles (since im a happy pc gamer). But right now PS4 seems more appealing than the xbone
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So, from Julian Rignall twitter:
"I just played an Xbox One game using an Xbox One controller that crashed... to a Windows 7, Hewlet Packard-branded desktop. Magic!"
"I even saw the back of the PC when the guy opened up the display to press the reset button."

Also: This and this.

I wonder how much further can this affect MS reputation now. It appears people only got to play on some kind of devkit.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

"I just played an Xbox One game using an Xbox One controller that crashed... to a Windows 7, Hewlet Packard-branded desktop. Magic!"
"I even saw the back of the PC when the guy opened up the display to press the reset button."

I wonder how much further can this affect MS reputation now. It appears people only got to play on some kind of devkit.

I've lurked in some of the discussion among tech websites when I heard about it. On one hand, one could argue that they are simply dev kits/emulating that need to be as optimal and crash-proof (hm, irony perhaps) as possible for such a huge convention as E3, on the other, the technology used (Intel's highest end i7's, Nvidia 600/700 series graphics) is not very similar to the hardware that the Xbox One is supposedly going to use, namely AMD APUs. It's still x86 of course but it's a little silly that they would choose Nvidia tech over AMD, being MS' partner for the hardware of the machine.

Aesthetically, I do find it weird how the PCs appear to have all the looks of gaming PCs instead of inconspicuous black boxes.

In the end I think this is creating false hope and false expectations for how good the games will look like on the Xbox One as it'll be one heck of a task for the developers to actually try to optimize the new console to display it all. Then again with the track record we've seen of Microsoft lately including what I consider to be contempt and arrogance towards their customers, it seems like they really want to convince people that their console will be superior to the competition. At this point I really hope only very few people fall for it, as it doesn't speak well for the future.

I'm half expecting even worse or sillier news to come out in the lead up to the release, though. It all sure seems to lead to some disaster for Microsoft and the whole console, retail and the general computer market. Which I don't think will be beneficial for anyone.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Luis Dias

That is so ****ing Microsoft.

Offline iVoid

LOL they could have at least used Windows 8, that way they'd promote two products at once! xD

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
This reminds me of the Crysis vs Halo DirectX comparisons. Good to know Microsoft has not changed that much without uncle Bill. :yes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's a company doing previews of games on unreleased hardware by using dev kits and the like, and there's doing the same using high-end PCs. Even if all the assets used are the same, how can that give a fair impression of the finished product?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Looks like all the negative PR beat a bit of sense into MS.  http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-drm/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Wow.  I'm actually impressed at just how large a step forward Microsoft managed to make by listening to feedback.  I don't know about you guys, but those two points were two of the biggest points souring my perceptions of the XBOne.

That still leaves the rape jokes at the press conference and the price, but hey, baby steps.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
And the 'indies need publishers'

And the always on microphone

And the bundled in Kinect (no exceptions, infidel)

I wouldn't get your hopes up, quite yet.

And the price is still 100USD up from the PS4.

Steps in the right direction, MS, but I think it's too late. Your PR has already been heavily stained with this fiasco.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Flak

Right, at least I am glad my country is able to get it around the same time now that they decided to get rid of the 24h check and region lock (at least the machine part). Still, they made a bad first impression here and I think most people here already went for PS4 because of it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even if MS hadn't made all those missteps, the simple fact that the PS4 is better equipped to do what I want it to do at a much lower price is a killer argument.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Wow.  I'm actually impressed at just how large a step forward Microsoft managed to make by listening to feedback.  I don't know about you guys, but those two points were two of the biggest points souring my perceptions of the XBOne.

That still leaves the rape jokes at the press conference and the price, but hey, baby steps.

I don't think it was the public feedpack but, rather Sony forced their hands on the DRM issue because on the long run it could have affected on sales negative way
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I think they got the pre-order numbers and **** a brick.  Otherwise, they would have stayed the course.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Looks like all the negative PR beat a bit of sense into MS.  http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-drm/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Fool me once...

This is the whole 'three steps forward, two steps back' tactic. With a closed platform such as this, MS will still have the ability to add these restrictions back in down the line.

The only big way I see it as to how MS can fix things is to remove Kinect as a mandatory device and stop trying to push it onto everyone, though again, they can force these restrictions down the line with smooth PR, such as "Get Halo 6 and GoW 4 with the Kinect 2.0 for 150 dollar" bundel or ridiculous bonuses to those who identify with the Kinect sensors in multiplayer games. Plenty of ways to screw over the users just with such a device around, which isn't beyond them from the contempt and original goal they already set out to do.

Guess I'm just rather cynical towards them right now, though.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
MS will still have the ability to add these restrictions back in down the line.

If you bothered to read their statements on the issue, you'd actually know they've committed to not do this. So unless they want the Original ****storm, now with Extra Cheese, that is extremely unlikely.

Few things upset the public like lying to them. Add in the already rather troublesome nature of what they'd be adding and you can see why this is a highly unlikely outcome.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

MS will still have the ability to add these restrictions back in down the line.

If you bothered to read their statements on the issue, you'd actually know they've committed to not do this. So unless they want the Original ****storm, now with Extra Cheese, that is extremely unlikely.

Few things upset the public like lying to them. Add in the already rather troublesome nature of what they'd be adding and you can see why this is a highly unlikely outcome.

I've read their statements, Microsoft still has the ability to change this down the line, obviously as the owners of all the patents, hardware and software involved. The way I see them forcing this will likely be incrementally, bit by bit, as part of particular titles and software/dashboard updates that will supposedly make use of such a 'feature'. Microsoft like any big corporation that wishes to compete in markets don't give up even after such a fan outcry, it just means they'll take it more slowly. Again, I'm rather cynical about how this works, having seen them come out with the desire to force DRM restrictions and the huge potential of active and passive spying through the mandatory Kinect (which is only partially addressed), defending it with tooth and nail up until two days ago, I just don't see their change of heart to be sincere.

As with everything though, we'll see down the line what happens.

-----------------

- George Orwell