Author Topic: Xbox One revealed today  (Read 19338 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Xbox One revealed today
The PS4 seems like it has a real technical advantage in the way the PS3 didn't, maybe even over current and near future PCs. Interested to see how the status quo mixes up.

... 8 Jaguar (AKA, 2 quad-core netbook-level CPUs) cores, plus 8GB and a 7850. It's not exactly blowing away PCs right now, not to mention all the next-gen stuff coming out in the next few weeks, let alone by the end of the year. In fact, it's middle of the pack, and almost exactly what I would tell someone with a medium ($550-650 plus OS) budget to buy, which is convenient, because it'll probably cost somewhere in that ballpark.

To be fair though, we actually expect 1080p/60fps or better with PCs, while consoles get away with 720 and/or 30 fps. It works out.

it's..... a ****ing vcr?

i don't understand

it's just this black shiny box

wat

It should be a brick. It does more damage when you throw it that way.

It also actually fits in with the rest of your home theater stuff better that way, but who cares about that?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:06:36 am by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

... 8 Jaguar (AKA, 2 quad-core netbook-level CPUs) cores, plus 8GB and a 7850. It's not exactly blowing away PCs right now, not to mention all the next-gen stuff coming out in the next few weeks, let alone by the end of the year. In fact, it's middle of the pack, and almost exactly what I would tell someone with a medium ($550-650 plus OS) budget to buy, which is convenient, because it'll probably cost somewhere in that ballpark.

To be fair though, we actually expect 1080p/60fps or better with PCs, while consoles get away with 720 and/or 30 fps. It works out.

I think you're underestimating a few things. One is the insane amount of memory bandwidth the PS4 has. Two, having the GPU and CPU sitting on the same bus, reading the same memory has a rather big advantage in that you can save a lot of otherwise necessary copy operations. Three, Consoles in general do not have abstraction layers like the Windows Display Driver Model, or DirectX, meaning that it's very much possible to program these machines very close to the metal. While the specs do not seem to be that impressive when compared to the kind of i7/GTX TITAN monster rigs it is possible to build in PC land, there's a lot more potential for programmers to really exploit.

Given that we're currently in a phase where graphics programming has hit a point of diminishing returns (Higher levels of fidelity do not offer the same kind of jump in quality as in earlier generations), and given that the industry can't really afford another budget increase like the one we saw going from Xbox/PS2 to 360/PS3, the fact that these systems are not going to compete against the aforementioned monster rigs for raw performance is less relevant than you seem to think.

Both the SportBox One and the PS4 have enough juice to do 1080p at 30 FPS, and doing 1080p at 60 is just a matter of optimization.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:54:04 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I hope 60fps is new standard in those next gen consoles. 30fps is just horrid.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The PS4 seems like it has a real technical advantage in the way the PS3 didn't, maybe even over current and near future PCs. Interested to see how the status quo mixes up.

The reason the PS4 may outperform PCs is the huge amount of unified memory and memory bandwidth. PC GPUs don't really have this amount of VRAM to work with. In the long run PCs will obviously pull ahead again, but it should be an interesting next couple years. Console developers always have the advantage of being able to work directly with a fixed hardware set.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

now i have semantic saturation of "call of doody"

this is not a bad thing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

Amusing compilation, but what a facepalm.

Listen idiots (XBOX people), I want my GAMES console for one thing and one thing only. To put games in and play.

Buy game. Insert. Play. That's what I want.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yup, which makes you not in the target market of those products. Turns out the world doesn't gravitate around you.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Lorric

Yup, which makes you not in the target market of those products. Turns out the world doesn't gravitate around you.

Well from what I've seen, the World is less than impressed.

I tend to agree with Lorric on this one.

For me, literally the sole decision factor with a console is what its game library looks like. I don't give a damn about any other miscellaneous features they want to tack on.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yet they're still gonna sells millions of boxes.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Lorric

Yet they're still gonna sells millions of boxes.

Sure they are. But how will they do in relation to the competition?

This launch was a flop. Get onto the net and see for yourself what people are saying.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I think I agree with Lorric, too. They may not be in the target market of those products, but a hell of a lot of them were in previous generations. It's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed when products you enjoyed are going out of production and being replaced by something that pretty much ignores why you were interested in the first place.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Get onto the net and see for yourself what people are saying.
What, because you're not able to form an opinion yourself ? Trusting random haters on the internet sounds helluva unhealthy.

Note that I am definitely not saying the xbawks one doesn't suck. I am pretty convinced it does. What I'm saying is that the hardcore gamer market never was M$'s target market.

Offline Lorric

Get onto the net and see for yourself what people are saying.
What, because you're not able to form an opinion yourself ? Trusting random haters on the internet sounds helluva unhealthy.

Note that I am definitely not saying the xbawks one doesn't suck. I am pretty convinced it does. What I'm saying is that the hardcore gamer market never was M$'s target market.

Now you're not making sense. First you trash my opinion, then bring in millions of boxes to say others' opinions matter more, then when I do the same, now you say I'm wrong for not having an opinion?

I remember the excitement for previous consoles. It doesn't matter who the target market is. The target market would be making positive noises if they'd successfully connected with the target market.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Now you're not making sense. First you trash my opinion, then bring in millions of boxes to say others' opinions matter more, then when I do the same
Wat.

I said that whether you like it or not, it doesn't matter because it will be a commercial success anyway. I didn't say the millions of people who are gonna buy it aren't awfully wrong regardless.

The target market would be making positive noises if they'd successfully connected with the target market.
Haters are always louder than lovers by a few orders of magnitude. That is all the more true on the internet.

Offline Lorric

Now you're not making sense. First you trash my opinion, then bring in millions of boxes to say others' opinions matter more, then when I do the same
Wat.

I said that whether you like it or not, it doesn't matter because it will be a commercial success anyway. I didn't say the millions of people who are gonna buy it aren't awfully wrong regardless.

The target market would be making positive noises if they'd successfully connected with the target market.
Haters are always louder than lovers by a few orders of magnitude. That is all the more true on the internet.

Well right now it's too early to say if it will be a success, but I predict if the other companies don't put on the same restrictions, they will dominate.

Haters do make more noise, but when you really hit gold, they are drowned out. The negativity is overwhelming from what I've seen. Previous consoles have been greeted with great excitement.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Matth is right though. Microsoft is targeting American suburban dadbros. Basically mid-30s homeowners that enjoy ESPN, fantasy leagues, and playing Call of Duty and Madden. There are definitely a lot of that demographic in America and they have plenty of disposable income.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Trusting random haters on the internet sounds helluva unhealthy.

Insert irony commentary here.

The critical and public panning that has resulted is not a random haters phenomenon.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

This is a strange machine. I mean, I already have a device that I can do social media and TV on, it's called a $150 laptop hooked up to Hulu and Youtube. Well, then there's my smartphone which also can do all that. And my desktop PC, which does all that and way more. I don't imagine that any of the target demographics of the XB1 don't have any of those devices, making the XB1 kind of redundant for what they're marketing it as.

But we'll see. Really, what will make or break it is the games.