Author Topic: FS2 Stock Campaign Nameplates RELEASE  (Read 12092 times)

Offline starfox

Re: FS2 Stock Campaign Nameplates RELEASE
"Missing texture" - problem is gone now, thanks for update.
According to the shiplab, "GTC Orff" nameplate is stuck with Leviathan and Fenris models...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's why you need to download the "nameplate fix" package I put in the media VP patch thread.  It will strip the Orff logo off of the Leviafenris, and I presume is needed for this change anyway.

And taylor, you should just be resizing the tga's themselves, not padding them with empty space.  If you're just expanding the canvas, you will end up making the text itself smaller.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
And taylor, you should just be resizing the tga's themselves, not padding them with empty space.  If you're just expanding the canvas, you will end up making the text itself smaller.
The non-power-of-2 versions are 420x61 so I was trying to avoid stretching it horizontally if I could.  It may not have mattered, I just wasn't sure.  The problem with the PCX plates is that they include parts of the hull, is it still safe resize those and not cause seams?  I can't tell if my current Orion model is up-to-date so I haven't fixed the texture yet.  The one I have includes a real nameplate but the missions here use part of the hull for texture replacement rather than the old nameplate.  One of the problems of using my own MediaVPs I guess.  Trying to get everything updated to current (or at least more official) right now.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The problem with the Orions are that Galemp didn't realize what I had done with the nameplate texture when he did his reskin, and so the "extra" nameplate polys were removed and replaced with the old style on-hull nameplates.  The one you should be using should work just like the retail Orion, as that's the way the "final" version ended up working.  I'm not really thrilled about it as I changed it in the first place to ease the burden of making nameplates, but what's done is done.

To answer your question though, you should ALWAYS be scaling the whole image.  If you rescale it so that the edges are still the edges then tiling will never be an issue.  UV coordinates are relative to the normalized space of a texture, not pixel-specific.  The corner that starts out as 0,0 will always be 0,0; the one that starts 1,1 will always be 1,1.  Think about how the game handles upsizing internally; it's a stretch, not a fill.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The problem with the Orions are that Galemp didn't realize what I had done with the nameplate texture when he did his reskin, and so the "extra" nameplate polys were removed and replaced with the old style on-hull nameplates.  The one you should be using should work just like the retail Orion, as that's the way the "final" version ended up working.  I'm not really thrilled about it as I changed it in the first place to ease the burden of making nameplates, but what's done is done.
I think I remember some conversation about that before.  What would be nice is if I could figure out which friggin Orion model I'm using now. :)  I just don't remember who made it.  It looked really good.  I was happy.  And that's all I needed to know. ;)

To answer your question though, you should ALWAYS be scaling the whole image.  If you rescale it so that the edges are still the edges then tiling will never be an issue.  UV coordinates are relative to the normalized space of a texture, not pixel-specific.  The corner that starts out as 0,0 will always be 0,0; the one that starts 1,1 will always be 1,1.  Think about how the game handles upsizing internally; it's a stretch, not a fill.
Gotcha.  That makes more sense.  I was looking at it more from the API side and not the g3 side, which is totally wrong of me to do since I'm seeing it in reverse code wise.  I'll resize them correctly and then upload again.

Edit: File at previous link updated.  Only tested the Orion and Deimos but both worked properly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 06:33:31 pm by taylor »

Offline starfox

About the font used on the nameplates....are they available for download in somewhere ?
Also, is it possible to edit current nameplates in photoshop ? For exaple, "renaming" the current name instead of creating completely new one...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Check the modding section of my FAQ starfox. It links to Goober's page which will tell you all you need to know :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
oy, admiral nelson, you forgot the NTCv Belisarius. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Belisarius should be there -- it was the first Deimos I did!! You sure its not present in the mission?  Unfortunately I have another business trip, and am in a hotel typing on a laptop without access to FS2.

Edit: Note that the filename for BELISARIUS lacks the NTCV prefix.  It should be there in the mission.

And thanks to everyone else for helping out in this conversion!  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 05:43:24 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Good to see ^^. Good job.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Belisarius should be there -- it was the first Deimos I did!! You sure its not present in the mission?  Unfortunately I have another business trip, and am in a hotel typing on a laptop without access to FS2.

Edit: Note that the filename for BELISARIUS lacks the NTCV prefix. It should be there in the mission.

I'm sure. check my 3.6.7 shots, i took a screenie of the NTCv Belisarius. no nameplate. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The Trinity should definitely be GTC.  Romig tries to pass his ship off that way when Zeta wing finds it, meaning he was hoping that the record of his defection hadn't been dissiminated to the fleet (before which, changing the nameplate would be really stupid as he could still pass the Trinity off as a GTVA vessel).

Coud someone explain me a little, how the nameplates are done...I catch this

A - Black Background
B - Green letters or White letters in 255 255 255 ? (I already have the Font)
C - A Mask (here comes my problem....)

What's is the way of apply the Mask selection, I have done with TGA Backgrounds, even using the Fusion effect for Atmospheres, but this seems to be different, it's seems simple but I can't figure it how.....

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I havn't figured out the nampeplates myself. For my campiang I use normal PCX's (green background, whiteish letters). Doesn't look bad, but if the letters were slightly transparent, it would look better.

Is there a coprehensive tutorial out there on how to make such nameplates?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I just used GIMP.  A fully transparent background layer of the size appropriate for the model in question.  Add a text layer with the text in Stop font.  GIMP has a transparency slider for each layer.  I moved the slider to around 90% opaque to have some transparency..  I then save the file as a TGA.  Last step is to use the nvidia utility to convert the resulting tga to dds -- there is no reason not to use dds for a nameplate.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I then save the file as a TGA.  Last step is to use the nvidia utility to convert the resulting tga to dds -- there is no reason not to use dds for a nameplate.
Or you could just get the DDS plugin for GIMP (http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/) and skip the TGA->DDS step.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
GIMP?

Can anyone explain how to do the same in Photoshop?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Photoshop works more or less in the exact same way.  Create a new image with a transparent background and sized the way you want the nameplate texture to be, add a layer for text and put the name for the plate in there, and reduce the opacity of the text layer.  Collapse the text layer into the base, save as TGA (and convert later) or DDS if you have the plugin for it, and you're done.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's a bit more complex than that...
http://sectorgame.com/goober/nameplates.html
IMHO merely reducing the opacity on a single layer doesn't make a satisfactory effect.

The good news is that my Photoshop template can be used for any nameplate... just resize it. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
While I agree, the basic effect Trashman is going for here isn't of the complexity of the Orion nameplate method.  The plates he's wanting to make would be derivatives of the pure green background map.  Ideally you would use a noise overlay of some kind to keep it from being too uniform without having to custom tweak the image.

The larger question, however, the difference between Gimp and Photoshop, is more a matter of interface, optimization, and available plugings.  Their core operation is really more or less the same, at least on the level that most of us use them at.