Author Topic: Knossos++  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I'm working on the Knossos! Despite the fact that the Knossos is not seen up-close very often, and despite the fact that there are numerous cb-ani illustrations depicting the retail model, I figured it would be an interesting experiment.

So far, I haven't really done much other than making some parts of the big piece smoother, but I've got some vague ideas of how I might proceed beyond that.

I'm probably going to make a model based on the little round wheel-like things in the 3rd texture, and copy/paste/scale/distort that in various places, when I get to doing those parts.

The glowy electric-looking things I'm thinking will be indented, and may have cable-like strands running along them. On the front of the big piece, I'm thinking about making the two glowy sections that come from the sides meet up with the one on the bottom in some maybe-interesting way.

Some of the greebles in the textures look not-too-alien, so I may do those as exposed/indented areas as well. The sort of shell-like layered patterns I haven't really figured out yet, whether they should be modeled in or left as texture-only.

I haven't really got anything screenshot-worthy, but once I've got something I'll upload pics.

Edit: some reference images, since I haven't got much better to show at this point...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:20:13 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What happened to the Azrael? Did you finish that?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Yay, another Ancient to be upgraded :D
I think the shells will be just fine with normal maps, no need to model them in.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The electric bit would look better with an animated glowmap than cables. IMO.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Actually, I think the textures look great. I kinda want to see it on the whole thing before making my opinion, though.

Actually, I think the textures look great. I kinda want to see it on the whole thing before making my opinion, though.
These are the retail textures :P

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I need reference to base an opinion, it's like showing me a birds knee and asking me if i think she's hot :doubt:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't think I've ever looked at the Knossos closely enough to notice any of those texture details. :p

Offline Davin

Last time I saw a Knossos that close up my fighter turned into a shortlived fireball a few seconds later.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
In the mission where the second Knossos is discovered (I think it was "Straight, No Chaser") I often find myself getting uncomfortably close to the Knossos.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Honestly I think the more often seen details would be glows rather than indentations. I don't think too much detail on the engravings etc. is necessary.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
First screenshot!

As you can see, I haven't deviated much from the shape. I've been focusing on smoothing out some parts. One change I did make, however, is a bit hard to illustrate with a single screenshot; the thin, flat part in the middle I've made into a sort of I-beam shape, because the retail model's 6-polygon shape was a bit uninspiring.

Edit: Second screenshot!

This is a "front" view of the same piece. You can see the little electric-like bits running along both sides and converging underneath... I'm thinking that could probably look pretty cool...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:41:40 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Comparison shots would be cool. Though, I'm hoping when this is further along we won't need them to tell the difference. ;)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Textureless render please?
Can't really tell what happened right there so it's hard to comment either way.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
'Lo and be-holde, mine un-textured comparison Shottes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Looks like lots of polys, but little to no added detail to me.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well yeah, so far all I've been doing is trying to avoid needlessly sticking to the original's edges/verts by smoothing the faces that I reckon ought to be smoothed, in advance.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks like lots of polys, but little to no added detail to me.
Yeah. A lot like the Sobek.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
... To be absolutely honest, despite the fact that the Knossos is probably one of the major plot objects in FS2, I've always payed little to no attention to it.

But you can never have enough high-poly stuff, so bring it on!

On a side note, I actually thought this had something to do with the code or something for the Knossos ......
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!