Author Topic: Just Another Day Development Blog  (Read 236448 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Just Another Day Development Blog
I've been doing a lot of work on it lately, and I've really been meaning to show some stuff off but there's always something I just want to tweak. Juuuust a bit. Won't take more than 15 minutes.

*6 hours later*

Perfect.

:lol:  Only 6 hours? I'm sure for me that sequence ends up with me tossing it all out and leaving it the way it was to start with...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

I get that sometimes too, I've got a bunch of silly things that I try out, see it isn't really working and then I just throw it out.

But then sometimes I get into a situation where its "I wish this script I wrote 6 months ago did X as well", suddenly the weekend is over and the script is now totally rewritten.

(Spoon can confirm this is a bi-monthly occurrence)

Offline Axem

Hey people that casually check out updated topics in this forum.

Since the year is basically up, I thought I'd share some of the immense progress that I have slowly made over 2015. It seems very odd that this much effort gets put into what is a comedy campaign, but I guess that's because I'm sort of nuts and it just comes naturally to me.

There's so much I did this year, but it still seems like there's a ton to do. …What did I do exactly? You think I'm just saying that because I'm lazy? Well you are right, but seriously, I did a LOT of work… Oh! Why don't I just check out my SVN commit log?

"*Throws all uncommitted material in at the same time*"

Oh right. I'm terrible at that. I guess I'll just have to remember like a sucker.

• Revamped the Berserk system. Added new ways to gain berserk power, such has damaging enemies or getting kill combos.
   • Revamped the Item Drop system and new items. Now some items can give off extended effects and I can set up objects that continually spawn items or ones that drop specific items.
   • Began a giant transition towards moving all fiction viewer/command briefing/briefing parts to visual novel-style drama scenes. Yes, no more briefings or squinting to read a few lines of text at a time now.
   • Added a cool and wicked health bar and made all player subsystems invincible, so no getting your comms shot out and missing all my hi-larious jo-okes. (Also I love to destroy what makes FreeSpace, FreeSpace)
   • Finished the draft phase of the main missions, and got half of those at the 99% completed mark
   • Halfway completed some fun side missions that don't really belong in the main plot. If I did, they'd be filler, and we don't need that… or do I…
   • Added lots of pretty pink starships (Note I totally stole those from another game. Not the pink part though, I added that)
   • Outlined JAD2.23 so I actually have an end in sight now!
   • Learned how to spell frustrated (Apparently there is an 'r' after that first 'f')
   • Attempted to kill bmpman in the most savage way

I think that last part has been the part I've been most excited about.

Spoon has feverishly been hard at work completely redoing all the original art for JAD. He's also been having fun interpreting my inconsistent and conflicting descriptions of the characters. The main issue is that these way cool fully redone and animated graphics take a LOT of frames. Holley's head anis alone take up over 1000 frames! To keep things somewhat organized, I had to make a temporary folder just to house them.

But recently, those headanis got a lot more manageable recently with apng builds being out for testing. Spoon's first apng commit replaced 3881(!!) png frames with 33 apngs. But I really think the effort has been worth it. Please check out this partial playthrough of a JAD2.21 mission with the new headanis (also not all the head anis are done yet (like Epsilon 1 and Merv), but I thought that mission had some great expressions from Holley at the start)

And there's still a lot to go, especially with the larger art for the visual novel sections. (Please give Spoon your encouragement and support)

As alluded to before, the visual novel parts of JAD will get a big upgrade. Before they were just giant floating heads, but now they are living breathing adorable-eyed 2d people. To give you an idea how little you'll actually be flying spaceships and shooting down enemy spaceships, here's a small episode of "Meet Holley's Friends" that will be added to JAD somewhere as an extra.

Now it is with a heavy heart that I announce some features that have been cut for JAD2.22 because of time and budgetary constraints. I know you were looking forward to some of these features, but maybe they'll get implemented in DLC.

The following has been taken out:
   • Cat petting simulator (Dog petting will remain)
   • Persistent Cake Economy (replaced with a local cake economy)
   • Fishtanks
   • That thing where you can do a quarter turn on the joystick and you get like this ding ding which is your prompt to double tap the A key to activate the Solar Plexar Returner, but only during a very specific cutscene.
   • Treasure Hunting for Molerats
   • Crafting System
   • Three hats, but there will still be a positive quantity of hats
   • Side quest where Delta 1 is an out-going call service rep
   • 9 mission beach arc
   • 14 mission mountain arc
   • 87 mission tournament arc
   • 2 mission elevator arc
   • Automatic online matchmaking. Matchmaking will now always be biased against you.
   • Emo Kids (pushed to JAD2.23)
   • Trojan software to acquire player credit card information (my analyst said most of you are unemployed anyway so I shouldn't waste my time)
   • Bananas
   • Decreasing a weapon's power usage by 0.1

And btw I changed the name of the episode. Now it's Just Another Day 2.22: You Can (Not) Be Serious.

Maybe I'll release something next year...!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
What about the updated GTD Titan from Blue Planet by Aesaar? Are you going to use it?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Axem

I have plans for that model, however JAD2.21 and 2.22 will not use it.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
When will I get to see the greatest beam spam of all time? Will the beams be made of Spam? Please confirm.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Axem

The mission called 'Stop the Music' will have the greatest beam spam in the history of FreeSpace.

And the beams

will be made

of

Disco.

Thank you.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
dem anis. Is Spoon still using emofuri for that?

Offline Axem

Yep. Spoon and emofuri have this most adorable tsundere relationship going on. Sure they say they don't like each other, but you can tell they'd be so lost without each other. ;)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Now it is with a heavy heart that I announce some features that have been cut for JAD2.22 because of time and budgetary constraints. I know you were looking forward to some of these features, but maybe they'll get implemented in DLC.

[...]
you mother****er
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, at least there's no filler.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Awesome update!

Also, was the Fonz & the Jukebox always in that mission?  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
To clarify this, the Jukebox can also be capable of playing songs, added by the modder, who, in this case, is Axem himself.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Axem

[...]
you mother****er

I know, I know, but 87 missions was still too short. I had to cut my losses somehow.

Awesome update!

Yep yep! :) There's also a Shark nebula "below" everything. So Delta 1 jumped the shark in his first ever appearance. I'm sure he loves that.

No jpegs for selling?  :confused:
I'll wait for ultra super legendary edition with all dlc.

Offline Axem

Shoot I forgot I could do that.

Please paypal me $50 for a copy of this jpeg. It could be yours. You could use it for... things.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Wow! :D

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
So I think I already extolled the virtues of the VN system in my nuWod review, but I'd just like to reiterate:

Holy ****, this is bananas! I still can't believe you and Spoon basically bolted a VN engine onto FSO. The animated characters just push my incredulity even further. :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Same as us.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Axem

It's a well known fact that I'm insane.

But just...

how

insane?

What could be more insane than adding an automatic powerup system? Or a whole visual novel engine?

How about...

Redoing the interface insane?

Thankfully this isn't as insane as it sounds (just insanely tedious!!). During Diaspora's development, Water had developed some batch scripts that work with graphicsmagick to speed along the interface work. Basically the artist just needs to make (usually) 3 files, the base, hovered-lit buttons, and fully-lit buttons. The scripts crop and split everything out and do the renaming. I thought that would be an amazing tool for modders, but sadly he never officially released it. But I have the files now, and I've shared it with a few other folks around here who are as insane as I am.

Once I'm done with making most of the interface screens, I'll try to contact Water so I can officially release everything along with my Mega-FS2 Interface psd, so anyone can easily make an interface or tweak mine or do whatever.

Also all of these screens are originally designed at 1920x1080, so also when I'm done, maybe we can get going on some high res interface stuff.  ;7