Author Topic: RELEASE: Deneb III  (Read 73984 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I was afraid of that.  Try extracting these into the same directory.
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/temp/FastDebugDLLs.7z

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
That worked. Upon pressing "ready" I got this brief error.

Code: [Select]
Warning: DenebIII-3.fs2(line 205):
Warning: Variable 0 has the same name as an eternal variable. One of these should be renamed to avoid confusion
File: parselo.cpp
Line: 301

Mission's loaded, gonna play and edit this post if I come across anything else.

EDIT: My bad. Yeah selected wrong version.

EDIT 2: Well, this is strange. In FSO settings I have the fs2_open_3_8_1_AVX2-FASTDBG selected, but pressing "play" will briefly say "fso launching" and then nothing happens. Going options>fast debug will start the game however, but in the 19.0.0 RC build (I changed preferred engine stability to nightlies, and in that case it used the most recent nightly build).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:03:34 pm by Colt »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That still says Variable 0, instead of the variable name.  Are you sure you are running the build I provided?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
@Colt, ngld had this to say:
Yeah, those were the right steps. The issue with "FSO is launching..." only appearing for a short moment either means that FSO crashes very early or some other weird issue prevented Knossos from starting FSO.

In order to continue making debugging this, can you switch to a non-Knossos installation?  Deneb III is on the FSO Installer, so you should be able to install that and then use the build I provided without having to go through Knossos.

You may need to launch the debug build via wxLauncher once to select the Deneb III mod and configure your settings.  After that, you can launch the build directly.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Hmm. I can not find Deneb III, which is strange because I remember seeing it when I was still using FSO/wxlauncher last year (current FSO Installer is V2.3.2 right?)

I'll copy/paste the mod from my knossos folder into the one wxlauncher uses. Already downloaded the 19.0.0RC AVX update. Changing the .jsom to mod.ini worked last time I fiddled around with them.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Looks like the SectorGame host is blocking automatic downloads again; that's why Deneb III isn't showing up.  I'll ping Hunter and ask what's going on.  You can download it manually from here if you want.  Copy/pasting the mod from Knossos might work but I've never tried it.

Alternatively, a new nightly build that includes the fixes is in progress.  It's currently waiting on the integration tests, which have been blocking for the last few hours, but as soon as that's posted you will be able to select it in Knossos.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
 Just replayed the campaign with the new nightly and everything worked out! That was a very fun mini-campaign from beginning to end. :yes:
Spoiler:
That final battle was pretty neat, but I don't know how I feel about the Legion going down. On the one hand, it's an absolute tragedy; ten thousand of GTI's best instantly vaporized or sucked out into space, with deadly consequences because of it after the war (ahem-Silent Threat-ahem). On the other hand, watching it get hulled and turned into a derelict instead of just outright exploding was an amazing sequence.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wonderful!  Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Yes, I worked hard on that sequence.  Scripting really came in handy for the explosions and particles. :)

To tie up loose ends now that a new FastDBG build is available, can you try loading mission 3 again and see if the "Variable 0 has the same name as an eternal variable" message is different?

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Everything seems fine with the debug too. No crashing or windows popping up when Omega launches. I tried uploading a debug log just to make sure everything was 200% fine but after almost 10 minutes of waiting I closed the link.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Er, wait.  If you played mission 3 through the Tech Room, that error would not appear.  It is only checked during campaign mode.  Would you mind playing through (or cheating through) missions 1 and 2 again, then loading mission 3 in the debug build? :nervous:

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Aight, just did a full run on debug. I've included all other errors I received, but they're all minor model-related bugs (they're in "hidden" to keep this post tidy  :p).

Hidden Text: Show
Upon starting the campaign:
Warning: Not all subsystems in model "capital01-multidock.pof" have a record in ships.tbl.
This can cause game to crash.

List of subsystems not found from table is in log file.

File: modelread.cpp
Line: 805

Warning: Couldn't open glowpoint texture 'glow_white'
referenced by model 'GVT_Qeb.pof'

File: modelread.cpp
Line: 1979

Mission 1, when Omega and Lambda wings arrive:
Warning: Unable to find 'turret04' in ship subsys_list!
File: missionparse.cpp
Line: 2349

Warning: Unable to find 'turret03' in ship subsys_list!

Warning: Unable to find 'turret02' in ship subsys_list!

Warning: Unable to find 'turret01' in ship subsys_list!
Nothing on mission 2.

Mission 3 when it loads:
Warning: DenebIII-3.fs2(line 205):
Warning: Variable saveexist has the same name as an eternal variable. One of these should be renamed to avoid confusion
File: parselo.cpp
Line: 301

EDIT: This run was done with the 20191015 nightly version.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:15:32 pm by Colt »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent, thank you!

These are minor errors, and most of them can be fixed easily, but that variable message is intriguing.

The shipsave script requires the use of the saveexist variable.  Many campaigns use this script, including Deneb III, but there are no eternal or persistent variables in the Deneb III campaign with the name "saveexist".  My guess is that one of the campaigns you previously played marked this variable as persistent, and this caused an "infection" where it complains about any other campaign that uses this variable.

I will have to ask karajorma to comment on this.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It sounds like the eternal variable warning is just a nuisance left over from someone else's campaign.  As for the rest of the errors, I've fixed them and uploaded a new version of Deneb III to the FSO Installer, to Knossos, and to the Phoenix grand prize area. ;)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
This is a punishingly difficult campaign, even on Medium. I've finished it twice out of I-don't-know-how-many attempts.

That being said, I love all the little bits of lore and attention to detail, like how the Terran pilots speak in Simlish, the Vasudan fighters have their own Vasudan-specific weapons, and
Spoiler:
how the lights flicker and go out on the Legion after the Lucifer bores a hole through her.

A few possible bugs:

Spoiler:
I don't know if it's intentional, but the Guardian will not ask for reinforcements when the Radru cruisers jump in if its engines are disabled soon after; it will only call for help if someone is around to play bomber defense and keep it operational (and even then, the engines are scripted to blow out after the third wing of bombers is destroyed). This is how things will play out for most players, as they will probably be occupied with all of the other Shivan craft in the area, and it makes the "defend the Guardian" part of the mission much harder.

Spoiler:
The Lucifer's shield animation is not showing up. Is this so it can take damage?

Spoiler:
Does the Avenger use a special damage table in this campaign? Or has the enemy AI been tweaked for better shield management? Maybe it's because you're mostly attacking bombers, but it feels like it takes forever to get Shivan shields down, even on a Basilisk.

Spoiler:
The first time I played this mission and used the checkpoint system (after the fighter screen was wiped out), the action in the mission stopped; I blew up the Cain cruisers, but nothing happened afterward. However, I've been unable to reproduce this behavior.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is a punishingly difficult campaign, even on Medium. I've finished it twice out of I-don't-know-how-many attempts.

I think I do have a tendency to make harder-than-average missions...

That being said, I love all the little bits of lore and attention to detail, like how the Terran pilots speak in Simlish, the Vasudan fighters have their own Vasudan-specific weapons, and
Spoiler:
how the lights flicker and go out on the Legion after the Lucifer bores a hole through her.

Thanks. :)

The "Simlish" is actually Latin.  The voice files were generated by Sesquipedalian, using the same process he devised for Scroll, by combining recordings from the Latin Mass with synthesized speech on the Mac.

A few possible bugs:

Spoiler:
I don't know if it's intentional, but the Guardian will not ask for reinforcements when the Radru cruisers jump in if its engines are disabled soon after; it will only call for help if someone is around to play bomber defense and keep it operational (and even then, the engines are scripted to blow out after the third wing of bombers is destroyed). This is how things will play out for most players, as they will probably be occupied with all of the other Shivan craft in the area, and it makes the "defend the Guardian" part of the mission much harder.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ask for reinforcements".  Can you elaborate?  You can send a PM if you prefer.

Spoiler:
The Lucifer's shield animation is not showing up. Is this so it can take damage?

Spoiler:
Do you mean the HUD icon or the surface lighting effect?  I just loaded the mission and I see the HUD icon.  As for the surface lighting, I think that doesn't appear if the ship is using surface shields.  And unfortunately, the MVP model doesn't have a shield mesh so it must use surface shields.

Spoiler:
Does the Avenger use a special damage table in this campaign? Or has the enemy AI been tweaked for better shield management? Maybe it's because you're mostly attacking bombers, but it feels like it takes forever to get Shivan shields down, even on a Basilisk.

Good catch.  The ai_profiles table option for $smart shield management: is enabled, so that's probably what you're seeing.

Spoiler:
The first time I played this mission and used the checkpoint system (after the fighter screen was wiped out), the action in the mission stopped; I blew up the Cain cruisers, but nothing happened afterward. However, I've been unable to reproduce this behavior.

That is probably the for-counter bug, which has been fixed in recent nightlies.

Offline Antares

I'm not sure what you mean by "ask for reinforcements".  Can you elaborate?  You can send a PM if you prefer.

Spoiler:
Guardian: Command, additional Shivan cruisers have jumped in. Our situation is perilous.

Command: We are deploying our reserve cruisers and bombers. We suggest you do the same.

This event will not happen if the Shivan bombers in Yamu wing quickly disable the Guardian.

Spoiler:
Do you mean the HUD icon or the surface lighting effect?  I just loaded the mission and I see the HUD icon.  As for the surface lighting, I think that doesn't appear if the ship is using surface shields.  And unfortunately, the MVP model doesn't have a shield mesh so it must use surface shields.

Spoiler:
I don't understand the distinction. The shield surface effect shows up in FSPort, and this campaign uses the FSPort MediaVPs, so shouldn't it show up here, too?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Spoiler:
Guardian: Command, additional Shivan cruisers have jumped in. Our situation is perilous.

Command: We are deploying our reserve cruisers and bombers. We suggest you do the same.

This event will not happen if the Shivan bombers in Yamu wing quickly disable the Guardian.

Spoiler:
Upon further inspection, what is actually going on is that the event doesn't fire until all Yama bombers are destroyed.  And this is only because it's inexplicably chained to the Yama directive.  I can see no reason why this should be the case, and looking through the SVN history, I'm positive that this is a bug.  I've removed the chain, so it should fire independently of what Yama is doing.

This is a pretty subtle bug, and it might explain some mysterious reports from back when this was beta-tested.  Glad to have this squashed!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't understand the distinction. The shield surface effect shows up in FSPort, and this campaign uses the FSPort MediaVPs, so shouldn't it show up here, too?

Spoiler:
Current versions of the FSPort actually have a SD Lucifer model with a proper shield mesh, removing the need for the "surface shields" flag.  Deneb III uses the non-shielded model with surface shields.

I'll make a new release shortly.  Thanks for letting me know, and well done noticing these bugs!  Just for that, I'll let you choose a new custom title. :D

Offline Antares

If it's all the same to you, I think I'd prefer that my custom title be erased.  :nervous:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I almost set your custom title to "erased". :P

Offline ShivanSpS

There is definately a rare bug on mission 2 that makes the mission to never end under a chain of events. I cant be certain of the order trought, petty sure it was a failure, the last part is very difficult on hard, my wing is very innefective on hard on this mission.

I have it on video and i could upload it if you wish.

BTW, if you are going to update it it may be a good idea to add a counter to see the number of ursas currently alive / landed.