Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)  (Read 44126 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)
Looks like I got around 2.5MBytes/sec; I've got similarly sized CD ISOs in about ~1 min using a torrent. OK OK, 1st world problems here!  :D This only took < 7mins which is still very good (and I ran out of disk space which is why it stopped @ 94%). Speed started much slower & ramped up, it was saying 30-40 mins estimated duration for the 1st ~30 secs I watched the download.

Code: [Select]
$ wget https://dl.fsnebula.org/mods/bta_complete/1.0.8/BtA1_1080Movies.7z
--2017-06-19 17:24:59--  https://dl.fsnebula.org/mods/bta_complete/1.0.8/BtA1_1080Movies.7z
Resolving dl.fsnebula.org (dl.fsnebula.org)... 138.201.54.161
Connecting to dl.fsnebula.org (dl.fsnebula.org)|138.201.54.161|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 953291171 (909M) [application/x-7z-compressed]
Saving to: 'BtA1_1080Movies.7z’

BtA1_1080Movies.7z                                          94%[==============================================================================================================================>        ] 855.33M  2.53MB/s    in 6m 39s 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If an application starts uploading stuff without my approval then it's a reason to uninstall that software, at least for me personally. That's specific to the seeding part but I guess enabling torrent download by default would be ok if that doesn't also require seeding. Also, seeding might cause issues if people only have limited data per month and automatic seeding would effectively double the data usage of a download (depending on how fast the connection is).

Windows 10, as well as Blizzard (at least in the past), use P2P to install their software.  Not saying if this is good or bad, just that it works and helps (helped?) them and others a lot with bandwidth issues.

With all of that said, I'd put the option as a prompt, recommending the user allow P2P, but having the option to disable at launch.  Also, I know that Deluge and others have an option to use a random port, as well encrypt their data stream
Hidden Text: Show
, and I would recommend enabling that if it's possible using libTorrent.  Some ISPs do indeed punish their subscribers for P2P (better hope you're not using Win 10's new update method or Blizzard's updater then).

As far as upload speed, it's recommended as a rule of thumb to max out seed speed at 10% of max upload speed (and while playing or otherwise using the computer, probably limit it to something like 10 or even 5 or 2 Kb/s, not much, but enough to add up over time).
And for seed ratio (how much you upload), Deluge defaults to 2.00, but I'd also give the option to be a seeder (seed infinitely) for those that want to help out, as well as an option to help out a little but not that much (1.1?), or metered connection (only seed until download is done).

Reason I always bring up P2P is it's the only solution where maxing out your bandwidth literally can't happen, the more people download, the faster they download: your problem becomes it's own solution (vs mirrors ceasing to work when they hit the monthly quota due to massive demand, or similarly, slowing to a crawl if too many are downloading at once).

My 2c, anyways (and I've seen the above happen more than twice with FSO, so it's something that has happened to us before, and during spikes of popularity, the last thing you want is inaccessibility)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@niffiwan: Interesting. This is what I get:
Code: [Select]
wget https://dl.fsnebula.org/mods/bta_complete/1.0.8/BtA1_1080Movies.7z
--2017-06-22 00:04:10--  https://dl.fsnebula.org/mods/bta_complete/1.0.8/BtA1_1080Movies.7z
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving dl.fsnebula.org... 138.201.54.161
Connecting to dl.fsnebula.org|138.201.54.161|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 953291171 (909M) [application/x-7z-compressed]
Saving to: 'BtA1_1080Movies.7z'

BtA1_1080Movies.7z                                                  100%[==============================================================================================================================>] 909.13M  10.5MB/s    in 91s     

2017-06-22 00:05:41 (10.0 MB/s) - 'BtA1_1080Movies.7z' saved [953291171/953291171]

I didn't expect there to be such a difference. I guess the the connection between Australia and Germany (where the server is) limits the available bandwidth. I guess this is why companies like to use CDNs for downloads.

With all of that said, I'd put the option as a prompt, recommending the user allow P2P, but having the option to disable at launch.
I agree, this sounds like the best option so far.

I know that Deluge and others have an option to use a random port, as well encrypt their data stream, and I would recommend enabling that if it's possible using libTorrent.
Deluge uses libTorrent itself (and Deluge is written in Python) which means I should be able to implement most of Deluge's features. Though (obviously) I will only implement the features I actually need.
Regarding the encrypted data stream, are you talking about SSL torrents?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Regarding the encrypted data stream, are you talking about SSL torrents?

Not sure, I only know I was able to get around my connection being limited by enabling encryption before.  I assume enterprising ISPs would be able to look past even that with traffic analysis or whatever, but if it's simple enough to implement, it'd be nice to have for those that run into this type of situation.

Even if some aren't able to use P2P, because of their ISP, however, P2P will help free up traditional server downloads for them.