Author Topic: Scariest gaming monsters  (Read 19478 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Shade

Re: Scariest gaming monsters
Grues. I guess that makes me a bit old, but they were really scary when I was a kid.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That list has very little in it.
Quake's fiends and shamblers. Especially in the mission packs where you have packs of shamblers teleporting around you.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I know one monster that is a few thousand helluvas more scarry than everything mentioned in that article.

It hides in a mysterious nebula in a Pegasus.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shade

Mustn't forget the Chryssalid, either. The Grue is all well and good, but you never actually see it (though you do get eaten by it). The Cryssalid, however. Oh man... just knowing one of those might be around would instantly put me into a "Nuke it from orbit" frame of mind.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The water demon in Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

:shaking:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Whatever it is, it will be a leggy sort of spider/arachnid. I've got a terrible arachnophobia for those things.

Pyramid Head in the article probably ranks as top 2. I've NEVER played that game, but the mere sight and description of it makes me already imagine it, and nothing is quite scarier than a monster whose face is unidentifiable.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
The water demon in Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

:shaking:
ARRRGH! JUMP OVER THE GODDAMN BOX DAMNIT!!!!NOT IN THE WATER!!!!!
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Mustn't forget the Chryssalid, either. The Grue is all well and good, but you never actually see it (though you do get eaten by it). The Cryssalid, however. Oh man... just knowing one of those might be around would instantly put me into a "Nuke it from orbit" frame of mind.

Crysalids, as in X-Com's Crysalids, as in I dont care where you are on the ****ing map give it every burst round you have, just kill it, dead, now, I dont care that you have a rocket launcher and it is 4 squares away from you, DDDDIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  They really should have included a flame thrower for those things, cook it inside that damned armoured shell.  They made the demo hell.

about the article I had to lol at the shivan picture.

also what about Duke Nuckem 3D's octobrains?

SKAARJ !

sure they are tough suckers to kill at times but tbh even in the first game they were only scary in that time when a corridor goes dark and you are locked in with one early on.  UT killed the scariness of the Skaarj and by the time Unreal 2 came around they were mass baddies even the big ones were at most minor boss prestige
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
The goddamn shark from Banjo & Kazooie! Always hated that bastard!

EDIT:

There is that sonofa*****!

Scared me to death when I fell into the water :D
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Chryssalids. Never had anything in a strategy game actually frighten me, except for those little ****ers.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Chryssalids. Never had anything in a strategy game actually frighten me, except for those little ****ers.

Yeah, ******s.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Alma.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There's a Chryssalid behind you. It wants you to vote.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

True story: The only monster in any games to which I had recurrent nightmares were the ghosts from pacman.

Pyramid head is laughable. All tremble in fear for the pacman ghost!

There's a Chryssalid behind you. It wants you to vote.

No, he wants to impregnate your face by way of a gaping claw-stab wound.  He's just doing you the courtesy of letting you live long enough to vote for him.

Alma.
This, a thousand times this.  The creepiest little girl ever, and I can't help but feel sorry for her after all she suffered.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

This, a thousand times this.  The creepiest little girl ever, and I can't help but feel sorry for her after all she suffered.
The "creepy little girl" thing has been done too many times to be actually scary anymore.

Have you played the original F.E.A.R.?  If not, then don't tell me Alma isn't scary.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems