Author Topic: Bob's HTL Deimos v2.1  (Read 5812 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Since this is apparently the place for these now...

I've taken the liberty of reconverting Bob's Deimos.  This should take care of the last few quirks in the model (it's slightly misaligned offset, the rest of the destroyed turrets, and the floating subsystem bug) and at Admiral Nelson's request have added a nameplate.  Don't worry, by default it's blank ;)  I did provide a "template" nameplate though, which shows what I consider to be the optimal size for (non-stretched) text to be added for minimal artifacting in the nameplate.  WMC/redmenace, provided there's no strange behavior that I somehow missed, please add this version, not the subsystem fixed one, to the mediaVPs.

corvette2t-01.zip
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 05:33:34 am by StratComm »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Hmm.. i would have personaly liked to see the main beam turrets remodeled.. owell..
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

or those pipes inside the engine housing gone

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What's wrong with the pipes?  They've got a great look to them, and their destroyed form when the engines are taken out adds a much greater sense of point-damage than in a lot of other models.

Any screenies of that nameplate? :)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Thanks a lot for adding the nameplate!  I appreciate it! :)

I have a business trip from tommorrow, followed by Turkey Day,  so I won't get the rest of the class nameplates done until December.... :(
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
:rolleyes:

I actually don't have a pic.  The nameplate I used to test it said "GTD Orion".

EDIT: Or Admiral Nelson could beat me to it.  I should probably give that turret map a shine.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Admiral Nelson

Incidentially, I wonder if it would be a good idea to rename the nameplate texture  something like DeimosNameplate lest it get confused with a nameplate texture from some other ship.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ideally (and you should be doing your campaign patch this way) all nameplated ships should have their nameplates called "nameplate" and you'd use texture replacement to swap it out.  I think that's what will happen when the next media VP gets released.  WMC/redmenace, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Sure, I was just thinking that the default name plate texture name should be unique for each class.  The Deimos template isn't the same size and shape as, say, an Orion nameplate. If both the Orion and Deimos default textures are called 'nameplate,'  I wonder if a player would see odd results in a campaign in which ships didn't have unique names.

Right now the other ships have odd default nameplate texture names such as 'GTC_Orff.tga.'  I will have to do a find and replace on the mission files if and when these are changed.  It should not take much time to get the release done once I am back from my trip.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If the default nameplate is blank, then they can't see odd results.  And ideally, the default should be blank.

I updated the link with some additional maps (none necessary, but all should go into any more formal release) so anyone who's pulled this already may want to get it again.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
What's with the extra 'thrust' texture?
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's for the turrets.  The model I had did not have them mapped to use the tcov5a texture that they should use, so rather than trying to figure out how to make each and every one line up correctly I just applied a map that only held one thruster cone.  With only a tiny bit of alteration, all of the thruster maps could be switched, as it would be much easier to change the engines than the turrets.