Author Topic: anyone whose fs2 disks are broken  (Read 18131 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
anyone whose fs2 disks are broken
Someone uploads it and then it's there, you download it and upload it for the next person...
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
what was the point of posting those two pictures?  we're not discussing bandwidth... we both agree that we need a way of getting the ISOs at a higher bandwidth.  what we're discussing is how anyone's going to get them off Bittorrent (which you keep mentioning), if no one has them.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Someone uploads it and then it's there, you download it and upload it for the next person...

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!

SOMEONE UPLOADS IT!!!!!

and has anyone uploaded it?!?  NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jdjtcagle

So WTF are arguing?
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
and by the way.  that's not how bittorrent works.  no one "uploads it and then it's there".  the file remains on their computer, not on some server.  they don't upload anything.  the person who wants the file downloads it directly from their computer.  there's no middle-man.

Stealth, it may, but I'm back at work so I can't check. What's up?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
oh i see a person downloading the ISO, so i was wondering if it was you :)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
So WTF are arguing?

because first you started talking about how we should use bittorrent for the ISOs, so i said go ahead.  you start.

then your logic of how bittorrent works was flawed, so you were getting confused.

Offline jdjtcagle

Ahhh... that's what the hell your talking about... DO you not have faith that absolutely no one will download it?
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

haha, okay. that's probably me. i should be finishing up soon.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Ahhh... that's what the hell your talking about... DO you not have faith that absolutely no one will download it?

i swear... you're killing me man.  you're killing me.

1)  no, i never said that.  i said that for FS2's ISOs to get on bittorrent in the FIRST place someone has to take the initiative (see about two pages ago, when you first started questioning me, and the beginning of our argument)

2)  you need to review how bittorrent works.  there's no central server that has all the files that you download off. "customers" don't "help distribute content"... they're the ONLY things distributing content.  in the bittorrent network there's no central server that has a copy of all the files... there's a tracker, which coordinates connections between bittorrent clients, but has no knowledge of the content of files at all.  

therefore, in order for a file to exist on a bittorrent network, at least one person has to have that file...

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by David_Leench
haha, okay. that's probably me. i should be finishing up soon.

naaa take your time :) i was just wondering if it was, because there's three people downloading an ISO at the moment, but your IP was the first to connect to one, so i figured it was you ;)  what kind of download rate are you getting by the way (just curious).  i'll apologize in advance :p

Offline jdjtcagle

We already went over this...

You stated that bittorrent's only good if you've got a lot of people with the same file. and there's not going to be many people with the FS2 ISOs out there :/... in a tone that no one would keep the torrent going... Which I was saying that I would keep mine open and there would be people from here downloading it
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

it wasn't too shabby when i left actually. fluctuating between 20-50kb/sec with a download accelerator.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i never said no one would keep the torrent going, but it's true that it's a lot more efficient when there's more than one person with the file, otherwise it'll take days before over 5 people have the file. nonetheless, remember i told you to take the initiative, and get going with it.  if you're worried about it, put them on bittorrent.  get some torrents going ;)

AAANYWAY, all ISOs are open now.  let's see how long it takes before swooh's bandwidth gets eaten alive again.  enough talk about bittorrent.  remember, i've been around p2ps since i was ten, which was 9 years ago.  i'm highly familiar with how they work.  but mass distribution of the FS2 isos probably isn't even legal, and if it is, it's a project that we have to undertake as a team, not just one person with the ISOs.  if we go into the mass distribution over p2ps, it doesn't have to be done overnight, there's no hurry.

Offline sh0dan

Hello all,

[been lurking for a while, this .iso business prompted me to register...]

I've got the three iso's - you're The Man, Stealth, for putting them up in the first place - but the first has some corrupted files in it. Not your iso, judging by peoples' happy experiences of installing it, so must be mine.

Any chance someone could mail me SETUP.INS off CD1? its only 60k, but its the instructions for the installshield, so its buggered without it. It would certainly stop me from having to re-download it, something I'd rather (and you'd rather) i didnt do :)

In terms of limiting users, can you install proFTP or somesuch, and just limit the download queue like Fractux's ftp site for the VP files?
Command: ..ve you ...th ..ds  ye.. d .?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
www.swooh.com/lorenzo/hlphosted/setup.rar  
there you go :)

it's unlikely that only one file would be corrupted though, so brace yourself for more :-/

also, i'm thinking about that.  it's possible to limit download queues, but i just didn't think i'd have to :p

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
IF you do though, what happens if a poor 56ker comes along with a download manager like getright that opens multiple connections? I'd say limit it by speed... Each person is capped at 10 or 20kbs, because that way the 56k people will be well under the speed even with 4 connections, and others all get the same (ish) speeds, as long as there aren't too many connections that would start to lower it beyond 20kbs... So it would be a limit for both speed and traffic...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

I have been a lurker for awhile.  I know nothing of code or Freding.  I have enjoyed all TBP mods.   I just wanted too say I do have the orginal 3 CD's in working order.  If anyone wants any original files to check for corruptions let me know.  I was under the assumption such things were not needed anymore since the Sourcecode project was in full effect.  I could just email any needed files.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:welcome:

:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi