Author Topic: anyone whose fs2 disks are broken  (Read 18143 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
anyone whose fs2 disks are broken
Originally posted by David_Leench
I just need the last 25% of the third ISO. Is there any way I could get it without downloading all the ISO's again via bittorrent?

you wouldn't have to download all three ISOs, you'd have to re-download the third ISO though.

there's not much chance of running bittorrent off swooh.  i'll see about doing it on my machine though.

or one of you that's downloaded all three already could do it.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
You don't need swooh... IIRC
and with bit-torrent you wouldn't have to restart, it picks right back up were you left off...
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline jdjtcagle

Originally posted by Cyker

jdjtcagle: I'm not a big fan of suprnova - Most of the people that use it are leechers and don't bloody upload anything!!
It really pisses me off when I see a seed with 3000 clients attached but only like, 25 uploaders!! :hopping:

Many people here are going to be uploading it... *raises hand*
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Cyker

EDIT: Dang you fast posters!! :)

Stealth: True... alright the rest of you, any takers?? :)
We just need someone with a stable connection, isn't behind a firewall (Or can open up the right ports) and a machine they don't mind being left on for a few days :D
Preferably someone who knows how to hack (And thus stop people hacking their box... My poor 486 SSH server's been swamped by probes in the last few weeks!) and is running a Linux box.
(I've never tried to start a tracker running in Windows...)

Mmm, that seems to limit our choices somewhat...

jdjtcagle: Yeah, but the problem is when lots of people leech and only a few upload, the uploaders get their connections swamped and everybody gets crap download rates which totally defeats the purpose :(
Swooh would have been ideal since it's a stable server, (:p)) but as you say it's not necessary :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 05:57:25 pm by 1418 »

ditto that

Offline jdjtcagle

Swooh a stable server!? :lol:
anyway, I still think Suprnova is hte best choice...
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Cyker

Well... if only to host the tracker then you're probably right. I'm not sure how to set up cross-server torrent's 'tho.
AFAICS most of the ones on suprnova are just the .torrent files, pointing to an existing server that's hosting the tracker and the files...

BTW Stealth, if you DO put it on your machine, make sure you add --max_upload_rate 20 or something to the command line. You do NOT want to let BT have all your bandwidth, trust me on this!!

(I left out that line and my SSH link immediately timed out when people started connecting to it!! :))

Offline jdjtcagle

I was almost certain you could upload it on to there...
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Cyker

Well... you could be right; As I say I am not that familiar with suprnova :)

You could check it out 'tho. I'm gonna go sleep now... brain is trying to go into suspend mode :)

Offline jdjtcagle

Well I'm not sure, especially not now, since it aint working...
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Stealth
anyone got any ideas what i should do?  karajorma?  i mean you see where i'm coming from, right?  i can't leave them up and have people complaining about downloading at 10 Kb/Sec - , and serving 60 different people at one time.  i mean that's insane.  insane for a 600+ MB file.

I sympathsise completely. The sad thing is that a fair few of those downloading probably are members of this board who were downloading the ISOs as a backup for their own disks rather than simply ripping them themselves.

What you could do if it's not a lot of trouble is to cut the ISOs apart and share different chunks every day/week/whatever. That would seriously cut down on the casual downloading while still being useful to those who really need it. Might be a bit of a hassle for you though.

I agree with the bittorrent idea. Might be worth me ripping the files myself and adding them to my E-Mule shared folder :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Why don´t you guys just use eMule? It has thousands of sources, and you don´t get leeched. You download at the same time as you upload to others. And it´s all done in chunks, wich means you can stop and restart as many times as you want, with no trouble.
I got my ISOs with it, in 24 hours time. Forget about Bittorrent, or Kazaa, or any other crap. Stick to the eDonkey network, and you are home free.
You can also powershare any file you want, wich means you only use your bandwith to upload a certain file you want shared faster.
There are versions of eMule that work for specific countries aswell. I have a version that downloads and uploads ONLY to and from people from my country. That saves a lot of money on international traffic with your net provider.
Anyone who wishes to know more about it, visit the "www.shareconnector.com"  site. PM me if you want more info on this.
:yes:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 06:35:19 pm by 2050 »
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Swooh a stable server!? :lol:

i'm curious.  tell me why you don't think it's stable?  is it because your download rates aren't steady throughout the entire download?  are you aware why you don't get a steady, fast download from Swooh, which is sitting on a 5 Mbit upstream connection?

i'm thinking of just biting the bullet and opening the ISOs again, if only for another 24 or 48 hours... although the other guys won't be very happy to see their server slow down this much :-/  i dunno.  

i've always wanted to get more into bittorrent though, and i guess this is a good opportunity to do so.  i guess i should start by downloading it, right? ;)

another thing i'll look into is a download queue or something like it.  where i can limit it to only 3 people at a time downloading each ISO.  anyone familiar with implementing this?

Offline jdjtcagle

I have a perfect example...
Everyday it only works half the time, sorry

Don't limit people on using it...
the more users the better! :)
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
I have a perfect example...
Everyday it only works half the time, sorry

Don't limit people on using it...
the more users the better! :)

umm actually it's always up, except when one of us takes it down for maintenance, or testing, or doing something with it for ourselves.

neeext?

EDIT:  "the more users the better"... hmm you're not familiar with the term "bandwidth", are you?  "the more users the better" does not apply to a web-server :lol:

Offline jdjtcagle

:lol:
It's always up!
:lol:
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

"i'm thinking of just biting the bullet and opening the ISOs again, if only for another 24 or 48 hours... although the other guys won't be very happy to see their server slow down this much :-/ i dunno. "

:D

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
and you don't believe me.  :blah:.  how to convince you that the only times swooh goes down is when one of us takes it down. :/

remember:  swooh's primary purpose is to.  actually.  nevermind, you don't need to know.  point is it's a server.  a server being something you don't have.  and if you did.  try serving out 160 GB+ a week just on the webserver... try paying for that kind of bandwidth.  then start criticizing us.

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
oh so the authication needed on my download manager is because you closed the iso dir to downloaders?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
well, i closed the ISOs to downloads.  but i'm considering putting them up again :(