Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270034 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Not a MechWarrior vet, aren't you? Or a BT vet for that matter, some of them (looking at you, "Catapult") have literally nothing in common with the original artwork. They simply don't look right. Atlas is nice and Awesome looks decent, but for other stuff...

That's because the original artwork is in many cases absolute garbage.  Have you seen the TRO artwork for designs like the Orion and Stalker?  The MWO art team has done an excellent job of making modern, high-definition BattleMech designs.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Aesaar

WTF Dragon.  If MWO did one thing right, it was doing a stunning job modernising 80s mech designs.  They're all miles better than the TRO art, without exception.

And I am a MW vet, so don't think you can hide behind "oh you just don't get it, you're new".

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Not a MechWarrior vet, aren't you? Or a BT vet for that matter, some of them (looking at you, "Catapult") have literally nothing in common with the original artwork. They simply don't look right. Atlas is nice and Awesome looks decent, but for other stuff...
I am, actually. Not that it'd actually matter since it's irrelevant. I'd echo what Sparda and Aesaar said but since they're right there's no point.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This "Thunder Bolt" (it's "Thunderbolt" everywhere else, BTW) is just a mislabeled Summoner

Not a MechWarrior vet, aren't you?

The fact you were able to compose these lines in consecutive posts tells me a great deal about your own credentials as a long-time fan. (The resemblance between the two designs has always been intentional.) Now get out before I'm tempted to throw my first edition copy of Lost Destiny at you as a method of showing who actually knows and loves this universe.

(And what the hell is with your recent swing into trolling negativity, man? You used to be helpful, now you're just looking for every possible excuse to be offensive.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Yep. Sure looks nothing alike.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

I agree with Hades and co here. The original artwork in plenty of cases is just plain silly (just look at the protomech art). I honestly have no idea why you seem to have trouble recognizing what mech is what. The only interpretation I'm even close to not liking is their Centurion.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
to be honest, i'd like the nose on the cat to be a bit rounder, but other than that? its a cat alright.

as a side note, whilst the mad cat (timber wolf) is a given when the clans show up, i'd love to see the vulture (mad dog) (why? running away and shooting them in the face was always so fun with it, altough granted, its the worst possible way to use a vulture :p ) and behemoth (stone rhino) too.

behemoth especially.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

fwiw, I love the look of the new catapult. I've played MW since MW2, and in every game that the cat appeared in, I would be too embarrassed to drive it. And looking at the centurion on sarna, I love the new one so much better.

Man, I gotta play this more.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I am curious how they'll do the the Omnis, though. The original ones all looked like a set of kitbashes using similar parts, and that made sense considering they were standardized, modular designs. I'd kind of like to see that again, but I don't think it'll happen that way.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yep. Sure looks nothing alike.

Depends on which artwork you're using, the MWO CAT is way too boxy for my liking. In general, I prefer the classic, smoother look.

Also, while Thunderbolt does resemble the Summoner, it's not identical:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
What? MWO's Catapult still resembles the one you used. And LOADS better too! Your argument still doesn't make sense since you said it looked nothing like the original. The E already proved you wrong there. And if you think the one that The E posted and yours is different, the lack of consistency would be yet another reason to not use the original art.

And your argument about the Thunderbolt makes even less sense. The MWO's Thunderbolt looks pretty much like that picture you posted. I guess you're saying that they're doing an excellent job with the designs?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dragon, the thing is, especially in the CAT's case, the silhouettes are pretty much identical. Bird legs, bullet-shaped main body, missile pods on the shoulders, no arms. That's a CAT for ya. The fact that the MWO one had someone who sat down and worked on the thing from an industrial designer's perspective makes the MWO one arguably better, as the design now makes much more sense.

You said "these designs have literally nothing in common". As these pictures show, they actually do. It's almost like saying that the retail Typhon and the ragingloli Typhon "have literally nothing in common".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You said "these designs have literally nothing in common". As these pictures show, they actually do. It's almost like saying that the retail Typhon and the ragingloli Typhon "have literally nothing in common".
I'd not be surprised if he said it didn't because it was uvmapped instead of tiled. I can't comprehend why, but Dragon has some sort of insane dislike of modernization.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:15:35 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Al-Rik

This is a Thunderbolt:  ;)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:3025_thunderbolt.jpg

But because FASA had some troubles with getting the Licenses this design can't be used anymore.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So if they're including a Thunderbolt, when do we get the Warhammer?
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken