Author Topic: Upgraded Orion Done!  (Read 18391 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What's the polycount on this baby?

As for the jeers about the Orion's texturing job, I disagree. The Orion has GREAT textures.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
They looked awesome in FS1, but they lost something in the transition to FS2.  I'm not sure if it's the comparison to the Deimos or Hecate, or if it's just the overall cartoony appearance of the light arrangements on the orion or the rediculous areas that orion textures have to cover without repeating much that make it look so odd, but something about it has never sat particularly well with me.  Of course the fact that it has nearly no non-square angles doesn't help it out much either; some of those extrusions come out way too far and are way too square with the hull.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Woolie Wool
What's the polycount on this baby?

Normal 'original' armament version: 3390 polys total (thats all turrets, all lods, and all debris)

Upguned version: 3870 total
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've decided to use your up-gunned Orion after all, but I noticed a problem... I was looking at it in Modview and I noticed that your LOD1 and LOD2 are reversed.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
So there I was last night, looking at the Orion mesh (for no particular reason, honest ;7) and noticed that the :V: model violates all that is right and good for a Freespace ship mesh. Its got intersecting polys all over the place and coplanar polys. And now I know why you guys complained about the turrets so much (if that's what those little j-hook things are supposed to be).

This thing is beastly all the way across the board.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Kalfireth
Don't get me wrong - the texturing job on the Orion is a good one. However I think it would look far better if it was re-done using better textures - the Fenris skin for example. The Vasudans and Shivans have a pretty good theme going, why do the terran have green, blue and grey ships? (and indeed brown... all sorts). They just seem kinda unthemed.

When FS started development, Terran ships had even less of a theme. The Ulysses was believe it or not, fully Terran. If was on the cutting board and then added again when someone said: "You know it looks sort of Terran and Vasudan..."

FS2 didn't help with Terran uniformity either, with the Boanerges and the Artemis having their own color schemes.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Originally posted by mikhael
Its got intersecting polys all over the place and coplanar polys...

...This thing is beastly all the way across the board.

Do I hear a hint of someone possibly.. remodelling her? ;) ;7 :p
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
So there I was last night, looking at the Orion mesh (for no particular reason, honest ;7) and noticed that the :V: model violates all that is right and good for a Freespace ship mesh. Its got intersecting polys all over the place and coplanar polys. And now I know why you guys complained about the turrets so much (if that's what those little j-hook things are supposed to be).

This thing is beastly all the way across the board.

And what rock have we been living under, hmmm? :p

You can't change the orion though. You can upgrade it or Mk.II - ViI it, but it's still the Symbol of early terran powah.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
I personally love the orion - it's just looks like a big, hard-as-nails bastard of a ship. I think it's the slab-sided shape of it. The asymmetry is great as well - we need more ships like that.

The texture job is ok as well - it's just that the model is so low-poly that it looks like a brick compared  to the more recent stuff. Having said that, EAD Nemesis, anyone? There's a box with guns if there ever was one... :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Actually, KT, I think I can pretty much anything I want. Its up to whomever uses the mesh to decide how to use it and what to call it.

Right now the thing is a mess. If someone were to build this ship from scratch and arrive at the Orion now, the entire community would look at them as if they'd lost their mind. It breaks all the rules I've been told for designing capships, except maybe the 'no polys with more than 20 pts'. If I do rework this ship, I will clean up the geometry first then I will look at some of the textured views of the ship and model in some of those details. I may make changes here or there, including, but not limited to, improving the radar dishes, the chunky spiky arrays, the nose, the engines, and perhaps even the launch ramp. I might even redesign those little turrets in a more sane way, or mount the side turrets so they can be used proper multipart turrets.

pyro-maniac: asymmetry is a good thing if it adds interest to the ship. In the case of the Orion, it looks like a lot of the asymmetry is for the sake of being asymmetrical, and breaks what little aesthetic appeal the beast has.

Now, will someone tell me why the nose of the Orion--and no other part--is curved? And what's the glowy bit underneath it all about?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No, don't get me wrong. I'm all for Orion redesigning and seeing how it'd come out, just not Orion[/b] redesigning... if you get what I mean.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Raptor

And now I know why you guys complained about the turrets so much (if that's what those little j-hook things are supposed to be).

Those are the small turrets, not as blaringly bad as the big multi-parts, but still:ick.

Why do you think I reworked them as well? (picture is not clear for them)

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I've decided to use your up-gunned Orion after all, but I noticed a problem... I was looking at it in Modview and I noticed that your LOD1 and LOD2 are reversed.

Later!

WHAT?
*goes checks modelveiw*
Oh man.
I got so worked up about LOD3 and LOD0 being switched INGAME, that I completely forgot to check the others. "ARRRRGH!":hopping:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Raptor

Those are the small turrets, not as blaringly bad as the big multi-parts, but still:ick.

Why do you think I reworked them as well? (picture is not clear for them)

If you don't mind, Raptor, when I get done reworking the hull, you wanna put your turrets on it?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Raptor
WHAT?
*goes checks modelveiw*
Oh man.
I got so worked up about LOD3 and LOD0 being switched INGAME, that I completely forgot to check the others. "ARRRRGH!":hopping:

I don't mean to pester you Raptor, but are you planning to release a "repaired" version... any time soon?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Raptor

If you don't mind, Raptor, when I get done reworking the hull, you wanna put your turrets on it?

Sure, send me the model file (.3ds, .dxf or .cob, NOT .max), and I'll gun it up.;7;) (as long as PCS dosn't die on me)

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I don't mean to pester you Raptor, but are you planning to release a "repaired" version... any time soon?

Yes, I've already sorted the normal version, I just need to fix up the up-guned model, then I can replace the two .pof files in the zip.

And I need to bug Kazan about PCS limits....
And do project work.....
And do examples from leture handouts....
And do background reading.....
And...................
And.........

EDIT: I've replaced the zip file, this one 'should' contain 'fixed' versions of both Orions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:12:08 am by 914 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
KT...you talked to Oddessey yet? What was the screwup?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Eviscerator

• Who? What? Noway!
Hmmmm.... I cannot even get a look at this thing in Modelview. It gives me ERROR 6010: Too many points on polygon >20
The Lurker Extreme

To study and not think is a waste, but to think and not study is dangerous.

Hands off me haggis!!

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Eviscerator
Hmmmm.... I cannot even get a look at this thing in Modelview. It gives me ERROR 6010: Too many points on polygon >20

You need the latest version of Modelview.  Can't remember link (sorry)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by TrashMan
KT...you talked to Oddessey yet? What was the screwup?

He made his own copy, cuz he was lazy. I'm texturing it now.

It being your original copy.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.