Author Topic: [WIP] SCv Moloch  (Read 30868 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'll disagree with that considering the Bes is easily the worst retail ship and besides, retail Moloch at least looked nicer than the retail Aeshma or w/e it is.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there had been one previous attempt at an HTL moloch that I really remember liking, unfortunately it seems all images of it have vanished from the internet. one very interesting distinguishing feature I remember this having was that it split the front of the ship into two halves down the middle, so it was more like armor plates on either side of an inner bit of machinery.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Darius

I loved the split-nosed version as well, unfortunately it seemed this was a sentiment not shared by the majority of people (as well as the fact that it was being made at the same time as the one that eventually made it in).

Offline Aesaar

Split nose sounds really cool.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I was, and still am among the non-split camp.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I'm hoping (although I keep telling people this...) to have some updates soon. I'm pretty happy with much of what is done, and I have finally broken through some creative blocks. So its looking shnazzy :)
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

Super quick tease. The rear is so way way way way unfinished. Comment if you want to, just be aware this is pretty early all over. Hoping for a .p3d sometime in the next 2-3 days.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ho-lee.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Random thoughts: The ribs look a bit irregular - maybe that's what you're going for, but it looks slightly weird. I like the spikes on the underside and the plating. The middle section looks kind of flat, in retail it widens out toward the back, which adds some variety and breaks up the parallel lines (which look odd on Shivan models).

Excellent work so far - I love how this is turning out! Out of curiosity, are you planning on making the ridiculously-placed fighterbay any more believable, or is there not much you think you can do there?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Random thoughts: The ribs look a bit irregular - maybe that's what you're going for, but it looks slightly weird. I like the spikes on the underside and the plating. The middle section looks kind of flat, in retail it widens out toward the back, which adds some variety and breaks up the parallel lines (which look odd on Shivan models).

Excellent work so far - I love how this is turning out! Out of curiosity, are you planning on making the ridiculously-placed fighterbay any more believable, or is there not much you think you can do there?

The model so far actually follows the retail volume quite closely. I think most of your concerns regarding the shape will be releaved once the .p3d is up, as I think the perspective is hiding quite a bit.

As for the fighter bay... well, to maintain FSU standards, it needs to be in roughly the same spot. It will look cool though.

EDIT: Better shows the mid shape:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:39:15 am by Rga_Noris »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wow, just wow. :yes: Are you also working on the fighterbay?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As for the fighter bay... well, to maintain FSU standards, it needs to be in roughly the same spot. It will look cool though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think he meant to ask if the fighterbay is gonna be fully modeled, like on many new Terran and Vasudan ships. Could be interesting to see, actually.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
words cannot describe.. thus I soiled my pants.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hmmm... Armor plates actually look not detailed enough, compared to the ribs. All of the pipes and details from current HTL Moloch could be recreated here to fix this imparity. Great work, anyway :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Kolgena

Maybe I've gotten too used to the old MVP model, but I don't really like the way you've done the spikes. Currently, they feel sort of soft, or fingerlike, and I think a spikier or harder appearance might better suit the ship. I like everything else though, and am excited to see how this develops.

Just my 2 cents. I might change my mind about the spikes once the rest of the model starts coming together.

(o and the back looks really bad like its unfinished or something so u most mkae update)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Betrayal: Your comment needs some clarification. It seems you are asking to see the Moloch look closer to the current HTL as opposed to retail. The current HTL is very different from retail. I see the current retail as large gray slabs of armor, broken up with exposed looking detailed bits. What do you see?

Are you referencing the retail in your comment? You should, as that is what I am using to build this. You typically hang on to the retail "feel" well beyond practicality, so I'm a bit surprised.