Author Topic: What a lovely day!! - Dev Post: GVF Selket  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
What a lovely day!! - Dev Post: GVF Selket
This post will hopefully be the first of a series of posts that we intend to make on a regular basis (once a month or every 2 months). We want to start showing everyone what we've been up to, and also give you guys a glimpse on the tribulations and decisions that go into developing BWO, because reality is the project is slowly progressing not only because of real life concerns for everyone involved, but also due to a certain attention to detail that we like to employ.

This time, I'm going to show you the updated version of a Vasudan fighter that you might have seen before on BWO's website, the GVF Selket. I guess that the best way to go about this, is to show you where it all started!

This is the original, pre-HTL Selket, modeled and textured by Bobboau, for an old and defunct project of his (Dark Breed, I believe). The important thing to note here, is that that campaign was populated by Vasudan\Shivan Hybrids, which clearly influenced the design of the Selket. This theme of "union of technologies" is also quite prevalent in BWO, but we don't want to go so for over the top with it (it's not the main focus), so there will be some elements that we're not gonna translate into it's HTL form, in the end.

The first thing I did when I started this assignment, was to take a good look at the model, and identify the elements I think are crucial to the design (in red), as well as which lines I can use to build greebling (in green). Bobboau also chipped in a little, pointing out that he was quite proud of the cockpit circular shape, as well as that "tube" right behind it.
However, you'll see on the final ship, that it deviates quite a bit from the original. After some discussion, there was a general consensus that the original was too Shivan looking, and that we wanted to try another color palette.

Also, of course, I took a look at its specs and tech description, to get a better sense of what it's supposed to be. The best way of looking at it is as Vasudan Erinyes, with Shivan influences on its design:
Class: Heavy Fighter
Length: 19 Meters
Gun Mounts: 8 (6+2)
Secondary Capacity: 1 (50)
Manuverability: Excellent
Max. Standard Velocity: 75 m/s
Hull Strength: 300 ASE (Armor Strength Equivalent)
Shield Strength: 400 ASE
Manufacturer: Mekhu Enterprises

A next generation of prototype heavy fighter for the modernising GTVA fleets, the Selket sits alongside the GVF Tauret in terms of its firepower and capabilities. The peculiar design of the Selket is clearly influenced by Shivan constructs. This confers it distinct advantages in speed and maneuvrability over the Tauret, as well as a small forward profile that makes it difficult to target with guns and missiles. Though some shielding has been sacrificed to achieve this the Selket carries massive primary cannon firepower and a small number of missiles. Overall the Selket is suited more evenly to defence and attack than the Tauret, but is by no means a replacement for it.

So I got to work:

Keep in mind that these 2 images translate literally years of modelling and re-modelling. On the right is my first iteration of the ship, which even got UVmapped (by Kobrar44, when he was still with us) and somewhat textured. However, it had a few issues that were always bugging me:
1- I knew that that area was going to get some light recesses, which I thought I could get away with normal mapping... however, that wasn't really working, so I needed to do some more 3d work on that
2- The cockpit wasn't really fitting with the rest of the design language, not to mention that it wasn't as interesting as Bobboau's 3 pixel texture blob :P
3- That area looked a bit too strange for me, didn't fit with the rest, and was looking too shivanish...
4- The missile launcher was too bland, needed more detail
5- Same as nº1 and nº4
6- Didn't like it for some reason
7- That spike was a bit too much in my opinion.

Before jumping to the image on the right, it's worth showing a step somewhere in the middle:

You can see that some of those points had been addressed here, but not all. However, it was important to me to start some sort of texturing process, to get a better idea of what I needed to do, as well as start experimenting with colors and patterns.
I still wasn't satisfied with the lights, they looked too alien. The cockpit and gun pods were looking quite rad in my eyes. I settled in more mechanical gun pods, to contrast with the other, more organic shapes.

Going back to the above image, on the right we have what was pretty much the final version of the model: I settled with a honeycomb design for the missile launchers, took the light recesses on a more mechanical direction. As a bonus, I also added a bit of detail in that area behind the tubes, something that would make a huge difference in terms of shading, after the final texture was done.

I moved to actually texturing it. Like I mentioned before, we wanted to try a different palette from the original. I got somewhat inspired by Oddgrim's HTL Osiris.
For the first time, I used a lot of free painting techniques, instead of layering exclusively. I kind of like the more organic looking result:

Keep in mind that the texture in the p3d isn't the final version, but it's quite close to it. In any case, it will let you see the final model.
Another thing to note, was that I tried some color variations after conversion (the bulk of it was done by Droid), for the glows and shine maps. I always take care of the shine and normal maps after the model is in-game, to see for real how it's going to render.
In the image below, you can see 3 of those variations. The alternative on the right is the final version.

As I was working on the texture, Kobrar built LoD1, and I took a moment to generate the other LoDs and debris from his work. Note that you can see yet another palette variation on this p3d...

By this point, the Selket was pretty much done here's the final product, from various angles, as well as an ortho sheet.

Oh and screenshots!!

GVF Selket Credits:
Original Model: Bobboau
Mesh: Raven2001
LoDs+Debris: Kobrar44 (LoD1) and Raven2001
UV Mapping: Kobrar44 and Raven2001
Textures: Raven2001
Conversion: Droid803

Here's a bonus. I mentioned that we're going to try making these kind of posts once a month, or every 2 months. However, to make up for years of silence, I'll post about another ship in 1 or 2 weeks.
I hope you enjoyed reading this, let us know your feedback. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:02:40 am by Raven2001 »
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What a lovely day!! - Dev Post: GVF Selket
You're a cool as hell modeler.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That's a sweet looking ship, also thanks for the insight into the modeling process  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
The model is great and the texture is magnificent. Having an insight on your design process is really cool too. :yes:
Thanks for this and I can't wait for the next one!

Offline CT27

Looks great!

What kind of fighter is this though?  Is it a high-speed/low armor interceptor or a more heavy fighter?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
The model is great and the texture is magnificent. Having an insight on your design process is really cool too. :yes:
Thanks for this and I can't wait for the next one!

Well I'm counting on you to finish the [REDACTED] soonish, for one of these future posts, at least. So it's me who can't wait :D

What kind of fighter is this though?  Is it a high-speed/low armor interceptor or a more heavy fighter?

Blimey! Completely forgot to quote the specs in the OP, will do presently. The best way to see the Selket is as a Vasudan Erinyes, so it's more fragile and with less secondary capacity, but also faster and more maneuverable. It also has teh primaries configured in a 6+2 pattern, which gives it a very nice aggressive punch.

Here are the specs and tech description (subject to change, but the general idea will be the same):

Class: Heavy Fighter
Length: 19 Meters
Gun Mounts: 8 (6+2)
Secondary Capacity: 1 (50)
Manuverability: Excellent
Max. Standard Velocity: 75 m/s
Hull Strength: 300 ASE (Armor Strength Equivalent)
Shield Strength: 400 ASE
Manufacturer: Mekhu Enterprises

A next generation of prototype heavy fighter for the modernising GTVA fleets, the Selket sits alongside the GVF Tauret in terms of its firepower and capabilities. The peculiar design of the Selket is clearly influenced by Shivan constructs. This confers it distinct advantages in speed and maneuvrability over the Tauret, as well as a small forward profile that makes it difficult to target with guns and missiles. Though some shielding has been sacrificed to achieve this the Selket carries massive primary cannon firepower and a small number of missiles. Overall the Selket is suited more evenly to defence and attack than the Tauret, but is by no means a replacement for it.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Excellent looking fighter. :)

Offline Vrets

A single, 6-gun bank? Frightening.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yup, we liked mixing things up in terms of balance and gameplay, it has the same overall DPS potential as an Erinyes, but distributed differently to allow you to exploit it differently. It also has a very unusual cross-section making it less vulnerable to flanking.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
It also has a very unusual cross-section making it less vulnerable to flanking.

This is a very Vasudan trait. Retail Vasudan fighters usually have a very thin profile, which makes them hard to hit. The Selket achieves this vertically, instead of horizonally, however. It actually gives it quite a boost in that department, since most blaster configurations are arranged in an horizontal fashion. Subtle changes can make a lot of difference in terms of gameplay :)

Raven is a god.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
It doesn't look particularly Shivanish outside of the sharp bits and the pointyness, but this ship and the whole journal thing is super neat. Plus it's a vertical ship, so I automatically love it :P

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
it has the same overall DPS potential as an Erinyes
Not actually true, due to the particulars of fire-linking. With all eight guns firing simultaneously, you get 21 and a third UD-8 Kayser shots being fired per second. With a single 6-gun bank, you get 24 UD-8 Kayser shots being fired per second (a 1/8th increase in damage potential). Assuming similar weapons compatibility to the Erinyes, the Selket therefore has a greater DPS potential using the first bank by itself.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

By the way, congrats to the team on something I just noticed:  the BWO forum has been moved out of Archived boards and into "Hosted Projects-Work In Progress".  :)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Thanks! I'm sure that this time it will remain like that :)

The promised bonus post will come after the weekend.

Raven is a god.