Author Topic: What does the current graphics card price and stock situation mean for PC gaming  (Read 1689 times)

Offline zen110

• Twitter
What does the current graphics card price and stock situation mean for PC gaming
Current stock and price (graphic and PC components in general) situation is not good and it isn't getting any better as well.

What does it mean for the future of PC gaming? Will graphics cards now follow smartphones and will the current prices now be the standard? Will PC gaming become a niche market for the elites and the well to do? How will game developers respond to this, will it mean less games or maybe games with worse graphics so more people can play them?

What are your thoughts on what effect this will have?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: What does the current graphics card price and stock situation mean for PC gaming
PC games - when done right - are highly scalable, so I'm not concerned. 'Control' is a good example. It runs fine on older hardware, but has extra eyecandy - such as raytracing - for the pcs that have the requisite hardware. I imagine this will become more common in the future. The lower end current gen GPUs will be perfectly serviceable for some time, as will some legacy cards. I'm still rocking a GTX 970 and I can run modern games - such as Control and Doom Eternal - with no problem. I just can't do it at 4K or with Raytracing.

PC gaming can become very expensive if someone wants to go all in and buy / build a top-end rig i.e. one with multi-terabyte SSD(s), high end GPU(s), high end CPU, lots of very fast RAM, gaming mouse, gaming headset, mechanical keyboard, RGB lighting, VR Headset and say 3 linked 4K HDR 120HZ G-Sync monitors etc etc., but this isn't necessary for gaming. A entry-level gaming PC will work fine for 1080p so long as you don't use RT and keep AA fairly low (i.e FXAA). Another thing to consider is that modern games on their lowest graphics settings can look better than older games on their max settings, so, again, entry level is fine.

One factor unrelated to gaming that is keeping GPU prices high is bitcoin/crypto mining, which is irritating. If that stops being profitable then the demand for GPUs may return to 'normal' levels, which may result in GPU prices dropping too.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What does the current graphics card price and stock situation mean for PC gaming
Perk of being 39 tomorrow is I was happy enough with half life 1 running at 640 by 480 to not be bothered by anything over 1024 x 768.  2 decade later, 1080 is my happy place and anything over is wasted so I get good frames per second on almost everyrhing.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Current stock and price (graphic and PC components in general) situation is not good and it isn't getting any better as well.

What does it mean for the future of PC gaming? Will graphics cards now follow smartphones and will the current prices now be the standard? Will PC gaming become a niche market for the elites and the well to do? How will game developers respond to this, will it mean less games or maybe games with worse graphics so more people can play them?

This is a bad post that is devoid of content, does not ask any interesting questions, and hints at ominous bad things in order to drive earnest engagement by a person who registered only to ask this question that is a repost from an r/pcgaming post from 2 months ago.

You are a bot, sir.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:30:26 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Never had a problem to acquire my RTX 3090 to a normal price and without any delays in availibility...

I actually do not even have clue what this is about  :lol:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
People can discuss the thread (I'll leave it open) but the poster is almost certainly a bot or spammer.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. I've already banned them. But the topic was interesting enough to leave it open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Never had a problem to acquire my RTX 3090 to a normal price and without any delays in availibility...

I "only" paid 800€ for my 3080.... but I ordered it literally half an hour after they went on sale, it took weeks to arrive, and it was "only" a 100€ above MSRP.

It is, quite literally, impossible to find these cards at anything close to MSRP right now. More importantly, it is impossible to find cards on the lower ranks of the product stack at MSRP either; even reputable sellers are putting enormous markups on the damn things.
If you have a way to get a 3090 at or close to MSRP, great. But for anyone who does not share in whatever contacts you have or whatever your expertise in writing bots is, these things are unobtainium.

The only way to get new hardware at anything remotely resembling a reasonable price is to buy a prebuilt system with one in them.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I actually enjoy being a year or two behind the current standard, (until my last laptop bought under advisement from The E") as it tends to mean the spec is a fair bit cheaper than the time of release, the games I play tend to be patched to stable playable standards, and in general its a lot less effort to keep up with the joneses.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
In case you didn't see it yet, this LTT video seems to be a pretty good report on what is actually happening with PC components right now.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I got one last year at roughly the original price, but lucked out at a retail place (Microcenter). Trying to get anything now at the original prices is a lost cause. The main problem is the cryptocurrency price increase (not likely to fall, because it has been driven up by large institutions).

That being said, prebuilts and gaming laptops are widely available and I don't see it having a huge impact on PC gaming as a whole, even if this situation goes on for another year.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That being said, prebuilts and gaming laptops are widely available and I don't see it having a huge impact on PC gaming as a whole, even if this situation goes on for another year.

Yeah, PC gaming is going to be fine. Look at the Steam Hardware Survey: the median system you see there, with 16 gigs of RAM, a quadcore CPU and a GTX 1060 is what most games will be made to run on for some time to come.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also, some of them are easier to find than others. The 3090 and 3070 are somewhat available if you work for it (still at 30% markup), while the 6800XT, 3080 or 3060ti can only be found on ebay at a 100% markup because they are more attractive to miners. The mining companies are buying up the whole stock directly from the AIB card companies.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Yeah, PC gaming is going to be fine. Look at the Steam Hardware Survey: the median system you see there, with 16 gigs of RAM, a quadcore CPU and a GTX 1060 is what most games will be made to run on for some time to come.

I feel very seen.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]