Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98452 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Another fun stream! Can't wait for next week's dive into Reborn. :)

On a side note, Fields of Destruction inspired me to make a funny...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Meme thread!

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Tomorrow is stream day, and I'm very excited. I worked out a proper strategy for how most effectively to clear mission 1 of ST: Reborn, but there's still an element of RNG as to whether my wingmen can be depended on to fulfill their tasks. It does rely on me issuing the right orders in the correct sequence and hoping that enemy fighters aren't too nasty, but my success rate with this strategy is roughly 70%.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Hey! I got around to timestamping the streams. I'll list them below.
Hidden Text: Show
FreeSpace [001]
3:37 - FreeSpace 1 Intro
7:23 - Training Missions
27:22 - Mission 1: Eve of Destruction
34:28 - Mission 2: The Field of Battle
42:04 - Mission 3: Small Deadly Space
49:22 - Mission 4: Avenging Angels
59:47 - Cutscene: Ancients 1
1:01:08 - Mission 5: Out of the Dark, Into the Night
1:27:15 - Mission 6: Paving the Way)
1:40:28 - Mission 7: Pandora's Box
1:47:24 - Cutscene: Lab Experiment
1:48:08 - Mission 8: The Hammer and the Anvil
2:17:36 - Mission 9: The Darkness and the Light
2:33:36 - Cutscene: Command Briefing
2:34:51 - Mission 10: First Strike
2:57:17 - Cutscene: Ancients 2
2:58:26 - Mission 11: The Aftermath
3:19:47 - Mission 12: The Big Bang
3:26:53 - Cutscene: Hall Fight
3:29:06 - Mission 13: La Routa della Fortuna

FreeSpace [002]
12:07 - Mission 14: Where Eagles Dare
23:30 - Mission 15: Tenderizer, 1st Run
48:12 - Mission 16: Shell Game, 1st Run
1:09:36 - Mission 15: Tenderizer, 2nd Run
1:25:17 - Mission 16: Shell Game, 2nd Run
1:41:57 - Mission 17: Enter the Dragon
1:57:31 - Mission 18: Playing Judas
2:25:53 - Cutscene: Ancients 3
2:26:38 - Mission 19: Evangelist
2:43:26 - Mission 20: Doomsday
2:54:49 - Cutscene: Ancients 4
2:55:48 - Mission 21: Exodus
3:26:22 - Mission 22: Last Hope
3:46:34 - Mission 23: A Failure to Communicate
4:10:51 - Mission 24: Reaching the Zenith
4:33:00 - Mission 25: Running the Gauntlet
4:47:24 - Cutscene: Ancients 5
4:48:13 - Mission 26: Black Omega

FreeSpace [003]
3:10 - Mission 27: Clash of the Titans
29:34 - Mission 28: The Great Hunt, 1st Run
47:48 - Mission 29: Good Luck, 1st Run
1:19:40 - Mission 28: The Great Hunt, 2nd Run
1:42:43 - Mission 29: Good Luck, 2nd Run
1:55:00 - FreeSpace 1 Outro + Credits
-----Silent Threat-----
2:07:50 - Mission 1: Silence All Voices
2:24:42 - Mission 2: The Pursuit
2:59:35 - Mission 3: Ghosts
3:09:04 - Mission 4: On the Run
3:30:59 - Mission 5: Hellfire
3:42:30 - Mission 6: Secret Recovery

Silent Threat [001]
10:30 - Mission 7: Cloak and Dagger
56:23 - Mission 8: Field of Destruction
1:33:18 - Mission 9: Exodus
2:01:08 - Mission 10: The Return to Ross 128
2:54:07 - Mission 11: The Wait
3:24:21 - Mission 12: Secrets Revealed
-----Silent Threat: Reborn-----
3:45:49 - Silent Threat: Reborn Intro
3:47:53 - Mission 1: Silence All Voices (Incomplete)

Silent Threat [002]
2:57 - Mission 1: Silence All Voices
12:10 - Mission 2: More Than Meets the Eye
24:19 - Mission 3: Ghosts
45:40 - Mission 4: Field of Destruction
57:42 - Mission 5: Cloak and Dagger
1:35:03 - Mission 6: He Who Rides the Tiger
2:05:25 - Mission 7: The Wait
2:41:54 - Mission 8: Hellfire
2:55:09 - Mission 9: The Return to Ross 128
3:04:22 - Mission 10: The Last Hurrah
3:32:22 - Mission 11: Betrayed (Incomplete)

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I appreciate you taking the time on the timestamps, Colt. I've updated the VODs.  :)
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Hope to see you all at tomorrow's stream! :yes:
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Some timestamps for today's stream  :yes:

0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:08:12 - Mission #11: Betrayal
0:40:30 - Mission #12: Exodus
0:58:00 - Exodus: The Suffering
1:34:08 - Mission #13: Forced Hand
1:58:29 - BONK
2:00:30 - Departing now.
2:19:02   - Mission #14: Chasing Shadows (Incomplete)
2:59:08 - End Banter

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
So I'm trying to practice Chasing Shadows in Silent Threat: Reborn for this weekend's stream, and I have to say that it seems like a very unforgiving mission. So obviously, I'm trying to narrow down every little detail and find the best strategy to improve my chances of success, and I couldn't help but notice a detail at the very beginning of the mission which shapes the entire rest of the mission. Consider this my first real complaint about an otherwise outstanding campaign.

When you arrive, Vargi wing (the Zeus bombers) start at a RANDOM location from your ship. Their orientation relative to the PVD Hope, as well as their DISTANCE can be anywhere between 5 o'clock and 2 o'clock, putting them far outside the field of engagement but with an advantageous approach to the Hope, or directly behind the Vidar. Likewise, in the former, they are ~4500 meters out, while in the latter, they are ~2200 meters out. This introduces a ridiculous level of variance, and I only noticed this because upon IMMEDIATELY issuing an All Fighters, Engage Enemy command on one of my attempts, the entirety of Vargi wing was wiped out by Beta wing in literal seconds. I could not figure out why, until I noticed that during one of these "lucky" runs, Beta in Hercs would dump their entire missile payload upon Vargi and obliterate them before they could launch a single missile, giving the Hope a 5% HP advantage compared to other runs.

Personally, I like consistency in my missions, but I can accept some variance when you're not already juggling 50 balls in the air. Doing this on Medium (as with all of my playthroughs), and having to maintain the blockade, not get shredded by their fighter support, and wipe out incoming bombs and bomber wings to keep the Hope alive, WHILE also in a miserable pre-determined loadout on account of it being a Scramble mission... it's incredibly frustrating. I'm going to keep banging my head against this wall since I have a stream on Sunday and I'd like to give a decent performance. I've already sacrificed a few perfect missions in my plathroughs thus far trying not to keep the audience groaning through 20 attempts 2 hours later of a single mission, but this one is really chuffing me.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Chasing Shadows is intentionally designed to make it very difficult to accomplish both objectives.  You only need to protect the Hope to progress in the campaign.

That being said, it's possible that FSO code changes in the past few years have negatively affected balance.  Chasing Shadows and Silent Threat's Secret Recovery are two of the most noticeable examples.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I definitely love me some challenge and difficulty, and I'm not against it being controller-throwingly difficult when I feel like I'm in control of my success or failure. I suppose the starting variance just highlights what's aggravating me. I don't feel like I'm ultimately in control of my performance, but rather at the mercy of RNG. As with most FreeSpace missions, you alone are not the one who will determine performance, as you're meant to rely on your wingmen. Given the AI is anything but refined, this introduces a large amount of variance already, and understanding the nuance behind the Comm menu seems key, yet is also difficult for me to decipher.

I would expect Protect Target on the Hope to make them prioritize Serkr missiles launched from the Medusas, but ultimately I end up having to target each one and tell my wings to destroy them, with not enough time for all 4 missiles before impact. Engage Enemy seems to get the most decent spread of fire to ensure that my wingmen are shooting down transports and freighters but not getting blasted by fighters, and as recommended by Mito during the stream about balancing between Engage Enemy and Protect Target, I would expect to just need to be good about micro-managing while also doing my best. Alas, at times I feel like I have to try to do everything on my own, I get overwhelmed, and I decide to take a break from practice for that day.

I don't know the exact details of what the difficulty level in FreeSpace adjusts, but I can't imagine that the jump from Easy to Medium should be so cruel. I'd like to show off a little bit, but also not subject my audience to burn-out from a single mission. :(

I don't know. Maybe I just need to git gud, but I definitely hate feeling like I don't have control in a game where the goals are expected to be achievable by the player.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:16:17 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Tomorrow is stream day!

And despite my practice this week I have 0 confidence that my performance in Chasing Shadows will be glowing!  ;)
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I'm going to be missing out on the stream (Father's Day luncheon), but I'll catch up on the vod afterwards!

Good luck, pilot!  :)

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
EDIT: I've decided to move this list to the first post so that people don't have to keep searching for this post in the discussion!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:07:39 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is an excellent list. Trimurti is wonderfully unique and creative. Vassago's Dirge is unleashed Axem, one of HLP's best modders.(On that note, JAD needs to be on your list eventually... all of them.) Blue Planet is also really good and has inspired a whole generation of new HLP content creators. The others on the list are classics of varying quality but all worth playing.

Aftermath Reboot and II are marathons of Freespace gameplay and the creator put an incredible amount of work into them. I may be biased on Between the Ashes, but I like to think it's pretty good. Players often remark on it's level of polish and how much they love to hate the villain. Blue Planet 2 is part of Blue Planet Complete. Solaris is a breath of fresh air in the FSO engine and well worth your time. Inferno ranges from old classics to new entries, some better than others... It's got a long history at HLP and the updates they've been doing are pretty great.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
mjn! An absolute legend! I love your redone visual assets, including the awesome redone cinematics. I saw that you had a Capella Supernova remastered. Any chance you're planning to redo the intro cinematic for FreeSpace 2?

I've added to the list. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have showcased all of the currently available campaigns.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Caught up with the vod! Timestamps below.

0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:05:09 - Mission #14: Chasing Shadows
0:55:42 - Mission #15: Secrets Reborn
1:42:50 - Mission #16: Blood of the Innocents
2:01:30 - Mission #17: Abandon Hope
2:16:37 - Mission #18: Last Stand
2:45:30 - Ending cutscene

-----Operation Templar-----
2:54:20 - Preparing for Operation Templar
2:55:57 - Mission #1: Bringing The Hammer Down
3:19:14 - Mission #2: Chasing the Threat
3:47:44 - Mission #3: Tightning the Noose
4:34:30 - Mission #4: Final Outpost
5:11:37 - Post-Stream Banter

For campaigns, a few not mentioned that I'd recommend are Shivans, which are 2 VAd campaigns (Phantoms is set at the very start of the Great War, Echo Gate is post-Lucifer), Eyebleach (literally pre-FS2), Walls Closing (FS2-era) and Procyon Insurgency (post-FS2). Exile's a great campaign set right after FS2, but I think it needs an older version of FSO to run properly.

Regarding input, Memories of the Great War is a very polished experience. Scrolls' has a very interesting setting and the writing is great, with even some humorous parts that aren't out of place for a Vasudan campaign. Uncharted is another polished campaign. Pandora's Box has received good reception from other members, but I haven't had a chance to give it a full playthrough.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For gap-bridging or close-to-canon campaigns, here are my recommendations:

• Deneb III, in addition to replicating the FS2 intro, takes place in parallel with Enter the Dragon, Playing Judas, and Evangelist from the main FS1 campaign.  FS1 and Deneb III each reference events that take place in the other, so you should have fun figuring out those tie-ins.
  • Shrouding the Light: Origins, part of the Shrouding the Light package, is a series of three campaigns, each with three missions, that cover canon events in FS1 from a different perspective.  I used the three-mission vignette format of STL:O as a template for Deneb III.  Shrouding the Light itself takes place in 2336 and is a very good story about fighting the Hammer of Light during Reconstruction.
  • Shivans contains two campaigns, Phantoms and Echo Gate, each of which also cover events in FS1 and ST:R from a different perspective.

I would also suggest Awakenings and Destiny of Peace for FS1-era campaigns.  Awakenings has very high production values for a fan-made campaign of that era.

All the recommendations in this thread are good, although I should warn you that someone reported it takes 13 hours of gameplay just to cheat through Aftermath by insta-killing every ship.  So if you play those campaigns you may find yourself committed to them for a while.  For Inferno, I recommend both Classic and Nostos.  They're each good in their own way.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wait is Eyebleach a real campaign? I always assumed from the name it was some kind of parody meme thing.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I realize it's not thanks to Mito's explanation during the stream, but it should probably get a proper name and icon at some point so as not to give people that impression.

I'm going to work on sorting out and ordering these, and installing all of these. If anyone wants to help me determine where in the numbered list I should drop some in the unnumbered list, I'd welcome your input.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
mjn! An absolute legend! I love your redone visual assets, including the awesome redone cinematics. I saw that you had a Capella Supernova remastered. Any chance you're planning to redo the intro cinematic for FreeSpace 2?

I've added to the list. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have showcased all of the currently available campaigns.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. The Supernova scene is one of my favorites that I've done. I learned so much over the last decade working on that project. I always wanted to go back and fix-up/re-render/enhance some of my earlier works with what I've learned, but I've moved on to other rendering projects and won't be working on those or the FS2 intro for the foreseeable future.

Based on your edited post above, I'll add that Between the Ashes takes place after Silent Threat and before FS2. The mod currently contains two short mini-campaigns and one main campaign. We're actively FREDing part 2. BtA also includes a version of Operation Templar rebalanced to work in BtA single player with a little extra polish here and there. OT versions are kind of a dime a dozen around HLP though, lol.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.