Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98182 times)

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Bummer. I kind of wanted to have the enhanced music for FreeSpace Port and maybe give Silent Threat: Reborn and other fan campaigns that use FreeSpace music the remix treatment. Ah well, I'll just uninstall the remixes then.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Incoming jump signature! Designation timestamps!
Hidden Text: Show
**********FreeSpace 2 Demo**********
0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:03:26 - Mission #1: Crimson Sky
0:15:32 - Mission #2: Crisis in Capella
**********FreeSpace 2 Single Missions**********
0:54:36 - Mission #1: Calm before the Storm
1:27:55 - Mission #2: Excellence Under Fire
1:46:06 - Mission #3: Greyface
1:56:28 - Mission #4: Nekhbet (Neyck-bet)
2:17:28 - Mission #5: One Step Too Far
2:32:36 - IT MOVES
2:57:43 - Mission #6: Rites of Passage
3:08:44 - Plot Device
3:22:30 - Mission #7: The Queen (Incomplete)
3:33:04 - Command Cracks
3:39:33 - Post-Stream Banter

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
By the way, the briefing icon showing a Fenris instead of a planet is a bug in FSO.  This is also what caused the briefing in the last mission of ST:R to display an extra Orion instead of a planet.  A fix is in the works.

That's one unexpected side effect of these streams -- discovering new bugs in FSO that need fixing. :P

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Glad I could help then. :P

I decided to practice that mission I left off on today, and upon pulling up Knossos, I noticed that Inferno Nostos and The Scroll of Atankharzim both got updates. :o
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:51:43 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
In practice news, "The Queen" is a ***** of a mission, even if you're an RTS god. I worked out the perfect dozens of commands in the first few minutes to have cruisers picked off while I take out that under-engine beam turret on the destroyer that rips the corvette apart, and can take out the beam turrets on the Sobek and take it down before the Knight even reaches 90%. Yet no matter what I try, by the time the Sobek goes down and the destroyer is just limping along, the crossfire and enemy fighters are suddenly dialed up to eleven so that within 20 seconds all my wingmen are obliterated, leaving me as the only slow, defenseless target to get pummeled from 95% down to 0. So essentially, I can destroy all of the capital ships, but surviving is another issue.

I cheated and got through to the end to read debriefing, and it mentions that the Sobek was not a priority in recommendations, even though they still gave me a pat on the back. So my next strategy is to try taking out the destroyer before the Sobek, since it drops pretty quickly once all focus is on it, and that's where all the enemy fighters come from. I've been neutering the destroyer by taking out its Weapons subsystem after the beam turret, so it becomes a sitting duck. It may be that the issue is that so long as it exists, the fighter wings pose the biggest threat. I will give that a try and see if the Knight can just tank the Sobek's yellow beams for another minute.

UPDATE: Okay, a bit more micro-managing of wingmen made this more feasible, as well as putting Beta in some Herc IIs. Calling in reinforcements as soon as you get them is still a must, as I believe what's happening is the Sobek's flak begins to tear up fighters since by that time in the mission, it's right on top of the Knight and we're forced to fight in the middle of a flak field regardless which of the two remaining ships we choose to go for. I got all objectives completed though, and then at the end the Knight took "severe damage" from a stray bomber. What a headache of a mission this is. Hopefully we can get it in one go on stream this Sunday.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:24:45 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If maxims are available...

Maxims eat subsystems at long range.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Maxims are precisely what I'm using for the bombers, myself included. Taking out cruisers and subsystems at a range isn't an issue, it's the limited window in which to take out a dozen subsystems across a destroyer and a corvette while also not getting eaten by 5 wings of fighters.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
So, a suggestion. How about you tried these out? See the video further down the topic for reference (although: spoilers).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I have looked at those in the past, and while there's a very strong desire to use them for the sake of improving situational awareness, there's a conflict within me between immersion (having limited visibility in the nebula, that feeling of not knowing what you're dealing with until you're staring right at it, etc) and making it easier for my ADHD-addled mind to have as many aids as possible in the heat of battle. It's both a blessing in game environments like this and a curse at all times, having my mind jump between several tasks in the heat of battle, but never holding onto the thought long enough to not be surprised by it 15 seconds later when it becomes a problem. :|

I'll give it further consideration, because honestly those would be really helpful, no argument there.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

It's configurable. You can change the icon sizes and how they are fading away - by default, they fade away when near the center of the screen and when the objects responsible for them are close enough to the player. You can tweak both values, as explained in Lafiel's post.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

I'll need to leave the attempt of yoinking the message box script from somewhere to sometime later because everything is ****ed and also something is on fire I'm experiencing technical difficulties. Or maybe you, Colt, could pack your own version and toss it here, if I could ask for that from you. Sorry!
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
All good. I updated my information for people who want to get ahold of me.

I tried out the radar icons, and ran into a number of issues with them on 21.2.0 ... The game hung as it tried to load from briefing into mission, and then I had several stutters during gameplay as if it was trying to load the icons. Furthermore, new ships that came in, bombers, were not displaying icons at all. This was tested on the final mission of FreeSpace 2 with latest MediaVPs.

Also, even doing Apocalypse and getting the "Alpha 1 survived" ending, it doesn't "end" the FS2 campaign and lets you play the mission again. It also doesn't add any score whatsoever for that mission to my pilot profile, making any kills in that mission worthless. Is that retail behavior? I could have sworn that it had the same "this campaign is over" behavior as any other campaign. Is a flag not being set that the mission is cleared, or something?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:47:41 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In retail FS2, you could replay the final mission as many times as you wanted without ending the campaign.  The only way to actually get the "this campaign is over" dialog is to save Capella.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I was disappointed I couldn't just farm the SC Thanatos for rank. Ended my current run of FreeSpace 2 at 95,040 score. :(
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
If my help is still needed, I'll see what I can do. :yes:

also STAMPS
Hidden Text: Show
********** FreeSpace 2 Single Missions **********
0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:02:58 - Mission #7: The Queen
0:42:01 - Mission #8: The Trap
1:07:23 - Mission #9: Third Coming
1:38:45 - Mission #10: Third Watch
2:06:08 - Mission #11: To Destroy or Not To Destroy

********** FreeSpace Port Single Missions **********
2:46:40 - Mission #1: Eve of Destruction Redux
2:52:42 - Mission #2: The Great Escape
3:11:32 - Mission #3: Black Knight
3:30:16 - Mission #4: Crippler
3:39:58 - Mission #5: Deception
3:55:18 - Mission #6: Dead in the Water
4:06:10 - Post-Stream Banter (Incomplete)

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I don't know what changed, but the radar icons stopped being moody. And I'd still appreciate help with getting the message box script.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I upgraded my OBS setup to Streamlabs OBS and played around with settings to improve my engagement with the viewers. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a feasible way for me to have the chat overlay without it being terribly obtrusive by virtue of how ugly the YouTube live chat interface is. The overlay doesn't take messages and run them through its own transparent medium, but rather essentially "mirrors" the YouTube live chat. Fortunately, I was able to get YouTube live chat to show up as part of Streamlabs OBS, and even moved it to the left side of the screen. Now my chat is directly next to the edge of the monitor I'm playing the game on, so it's at least more within peripheral vision.

I even tried messing with custom CSS, but alas, that's only useful for things that will be visible on the stream/VOD, but not to me while playing. If anyone has an idea of how one could go about directly modifying the way the overlay is handled by Streamlabs OBS, I'd be all ears. My plan had been to nestle chat in the little space between my ship's shield quadrants display and the energy balance gauges on the right.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Caught something on the stream  :p

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I'm beginning to suspect the game is slowly escalating the upsetting things it throws at me in a gradual push to destroy the last of my sanity.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
So while doing Silent Threat Single Missions in the FSPort + MediaVPs today on stream, I noticed that the shield penetration bug was happening. I had the fix applied to library/FS2/data, but it seems this only applies to FreeSpace 2 itself. Upon further testing, I found that this fix worked if I pasted things directly into the FreeSpace MediaVPs directories, since everything seems to use that as a base, but it begs the question if that's the only "universal" way to apply modifications/scripts.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:16:21 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube