Author Topic: Ludicrously High-Poly Models... And Some Other Questions... Or Something...  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Ludicrously High-Poly Models... And Some Other Questions... Or Something...
After starting a thread about the possibilities of using Celestia for FS purposes, I found myself at the main Celestia site as well as at the add-on site. Browsing through the add-on models, I found A LOT of B5 content, most of which would be way too detailed to conciably introduce to the FS environment. To demonstrate, I will attach a rather sexy Star Fury model...

On the next note, I've always been a little curious about the total ship content to be found in TBP as it stands. I've been to several sites in the past looking for a truly comprehensive ship list of what's in the B5 environment; no one source ever seemed to be reliable. Going to the Celestia mod site brought that question back up once more. There were several rather large warships listed which I was entirely unfamiliar with. I'm not sure they were all even canon vessels, but it brings the question of "what ships aren't in TBP that were in the series or its spin-offs?"

[attachment deleted by admin]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Ludicrously High-Poly Models... And Some Other Questions... Or Something...
On the next note, I've always been a little curious about the total ship content to be found in TBP as it stands. I've been to several sites in the past looking for a truly comprehensive ship list of what's in the B5 environment; no one source ever seemed to be reliable.

I always found this site quite enlightening:
http://www.b5tech.com/

"what ships aren't in TBP that were in the series or its spin-offs?"

The ships not added are ones that are fairly rare:
- ISA Lilandra
- ISA Valenn
- EA Cotton*
- MF Glider
- Stribe Ship
- Soul Hunter

also some League ships seen in "Deathwalker" and one ship from an episode of Crusade is missing...

* the Cotton was cut from "In the Beginning" as far as I know
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline -Norbert-

While B5Tech gives nice screenshots I wouldn't exactly quote the information of the ships. There have been many discussions about it's inacuaray (mostly back on the Volition Watch board it I rememer correctly) mostly ending with the consense of not trusting the information from B5Tech.

As for the Starfury model in the picture. Isn't that the one from "voices of the future"? I.E. a rebuild varient only shown in a "vision" of the future.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
As for the Starfury model in the picture. Isn't that the one from "voices of the future"? I.E. a rebuild varient only shown in a "vision" of the future.

I really don't know. This is pretty much what the Starfury looks like, unless I'm mistaken somehow... Complete with the two lateral cannons which are never seen firing, but are always there.  ;)

One of the fighters I'm a bit curious about is the "SA-20" Starfury. I've heard it mentioned on a few other sites, and it's supposed to be part of the assumably dead B4 mod of FSO. I would imagine that, if it is a canon fighter, would be of use to TBP. Of course, that's up to the dev staff...

If you are curious about any of the models/ships I'm referring to in this instance, you can find them at the Celestia add-on site:

www.celestiamotherlode.net/
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
There were several rather large warships listed which I was entirely unfamiliar with. I'm not sure they were all even canon vessels...
Most of that ships (example: EA Monsoon Class Assault Gunboat, EAS Tempest, EA Sagittarius) are not cannon.

One of the fighters I'm a bit curious about is the "SA-20" Starfury. I've heard it mentioned on a few other sites, and it's supposed to be part of the assumably dead B4 mod of FSO. I would imagine that, if it is a canon fighter, would be of use to TBP. Of course, that's up to the dev staff...
B4 mod for FSO is not dead. It's in hard development.

After starting a thread about the possibilities of using Celestia for FS purposes, I found myself at the main Celestia site as well as at the add-on site. Browsing through the add-on models, I found A LOT of B5 content, most of which would be way too detailed to conciably introduce to the FS environment.
Well, I have to said that I have the same idea some months ago.
This are my results:

Technomage Ship, Polys:1260

ISA Victory (Excalibur), Poly: 15.900

Narn Jumgate, Polys: 8448

B5 Cargo, Polys: 5989

Lumati transport, Polys: 7530

Icarus Polys: 6930

Maintence Fury, Poly: 22.212

All are BETA. All models have their own maps: texture, shine and normlas (only glow missing). They have been tested in game and all works perfectly  ;)
I have to corrects sizes and reduce polys in some ships. They don't have glow points, paths, dockpionts or trusthers.
I thinks all that ships (and more) will be use in the new B4 mod for FSO.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:09:06 am by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm curious, emi, are you on the B4 project staff? I only ask as there's not too much info on the project's own site.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline emi_100

I'm curious, emi, are you on the B4 project staff? I only ask as there's not too much info on the project's own site.
Yes, I'm on the staff.
We are working on "Babylon 4: The Minbari Project" and "Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows", wich tell us different stories at different times, boths mods for FS2.
And we are develop a new game engine ;)
There's a lot of work... but we ARE WORKING.

Btw, here are the links for the Project site and Forum.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

• "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!

Offline -Norbert-

Most of that ships (example: EA Monsoon Class Assault Gunboat, EAS Tempest, EA Sagittarius) are not cannon.
I'd call it semi-canon. While they are not from the tv series or a film, they are from the tabletop game if I'm not mistaken.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Tell them to get some more work done on integrating their fork back into the FS2_Open codebase. I'm sure that Portej05, Henry and the rest of the people who hang out on #SCP would be glad to give them a hang and it just pains me to have a single project using a fork rather than having everyone using FS2_Open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline emi_100

Tell them to get some more work done on integrating their fork back into the FS2_Open codebase. I'm sure that Portej05, Henry and the rest of the people who hang out on #SCP would be glad to give them a hang and it just pains me to have a single project using a fork rather than having everyone using FS2_Open.
I have told to the team your message. :)

Small Updates:

Sigma Walker, poly 11428 (ingame)

Ganymede Base-Mar's Dome, poly13905

:)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

Please!
It's hard enough to figure out which mods need what as it is at the moment!
We're more than happy to help out with anything you need (Hery and I are a little busy with memory issues and Antipodes #4 atm, but we're happy to answer any questions).
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm again curious emi, what is the origin of some of the ships found in the B4/B5 ship database? I've seen quite a few Mimbari fighters that I've not seen previously; there's also the SA-20 I tried to ask about earlier. Are these just ships created for balance issues or is there some other source behind their origin?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Btw, here are the links for the Project site and Forum.
B4 really needs a non-russian forum.
It would be great if you could integrate B4: TMP code into FS2_Open, especially the part that allows Newtonian Flight Model (I'm a real fan of it) to be used.
Limited fuel and oxygen supply would've been nice too.

Offline den5