Author Topic: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)  (Read 37986 times)

Offline Solatar

Re: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)

sphincter-like appearance

I can't unsee that now. :P

Although if the second pic is indeed recessed like the first, I retract my opinion about not liking it. I just didn't like the "bubble" look.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Big docking bay is big. Not that it's in any way a bad thing. possible to have a closer view on it ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i think this arcadia version is very very good... a little bit ''rounded'' than the original, but amazing... can't wait to fly around her  :yes:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Looks like an amazingly good compromise! :yes:

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I dont like teh circle.. It reminds me of a washing machine entrance..
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/503489/8600331/0/1239177296/Deluxe_7kgs_Washing_Machine_13E_S_N_LCD_Display.jpg

I dont want to think about the laundry everytime I see an Arcadia :D :(
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, you have to clean your flight suit sometime!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm...can't say I like it really..

The large flat platform is o.k., as well as the "booms" at the top and bottom. But the very center and the two protruding bits..they seem...off.
What's with the glass windows with a city behind them?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Quick, everyone think of a retail model you don't like. What did you do for years with that model until a new one was made?

You dealt with it.

You are certainly entitled to post your opinion, but I'm also entitled to ignore it. It's impossible to please everyone and I'm not going to try. I'm simply taking the unfinished Arcadia model and making usable. Better that then nothing at all. IF you don't like it, you can deal with it, or make a new one yourself.

Personally, I have next to no motivation to start a new Arcadia from scratch when we have this highly detailed and nice looking model sitting around.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

+1 and cheers. Not that you need this from me, but keep up the excellent work.

And if anybody has any issues, I'd advise them to look at the HTL Missiles thread and the Remastered Cutscenes and ANI's, Mainhalls, etc.

And while you're all looking at those, relax, enjoy the ride as it isn't finished yet. But you just might like it once it is.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:39:58 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So a break down of my opinion of the work thus far:

Let's start with the hole: Great compromise. I like the hexagon-in-a-disc look. As I mentioned on IRC, this gives me the feeling that the hexagon can be rotated to serve multiple functionalities. There is some 'bubbleage' that appears to be in place in this shot: http://imagebin.org/131553, but I'm not sure that isnt due to a shading illusion made by that shot, as the other shot makes it look perfect. So spot on job here.

Next is the command towers (north and south pole): We cannot really see the south pole tower, so I will make no comment. The North tower looks good. It is pretty busy at the top, and that's a good thing, as that I imagine to be some sort of command tower with good visibility, while the shaft leading up to the "head" of the tower is more there for travel purposes. The tower illustrates that well.

The 'beak' portion (Opposite the platform): The beak features a lot of inset greebles. I think these greebles look good on their own, but they do tend to "de-volumize" the space station, in the sense that this is a structure that I anticipate having a large amount of space inside its massive hull, but these insets tend to take away from the perception of space. This is minor, however, and if they stayed it would by no means ruin the model for me. Just something to consider.

Overall great job, and thanks.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline ION3

I like the hexagon-in-a-disc look. As I mentioned on IRC, this gives me the feeling that the hexagon can be rotated to serve multiple functionalities.

I feel exactly the opposite. I don't like it, because it feels like it could be rotated. It feels like the station was built around the hole. I think it should feel like someone just cut a hole through the station.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why the hell would anyone cut a hole in a station? :wtf:
Of course they would build it around the hole.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, the hole must be there for a purpose, and that purpose must be other than making the Cato miss.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
In Sol: A History, the hole was used as a drydock for Fenris/Leviathan cruisers.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Vip

Yes, the hole must be there for a purpose, and that purpose must be other than making the Cato miss.

Actually, the first time I played FS2 I was SURE that the Arcadia in the training mission was the Orion from the intro which got hit by Lucifer :P

Anyway, amazing job, keep it up !
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I think the hexagon within a circle gives it a bit of a sphincter-like appearance
Good to know it's not just me.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I should not have ever googled that word
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
lol.
I would have thought it operates more like an iris...but that's probably more so for the Ganymede.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
hungry asteria is hungry

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
This certainly looks a helluva lot better than the retail model. I'm going to wait for the textures and stuff to be done before I render final judgment, but so far it looks very promising. The hole was a very nice reconciliation between the circle and the hexagon (and as you intended, the feel of the hexagon has definitely remained). The station itself now looks a lot more realistic in some sense, I like the way the right side of this pic looks, it looks more like people actually live on and use the thing now. I'd always thought the Arcadia looked a little flat on the sides, so enhancing the right side like that whilst keeping the lego block feel on the left was a great idea. Can't wait to see this textured and glowmapped/glowpointed.

tl;dr 5/5 from me.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it