Author Topic: newb question - multiplayer version numbers and different OSes  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Nami

newb question - multiplayer version numbers and different OSes
Hi.  I've been playing FS2 for a couple of years but I'm new to the FS2Open and the multiplayer aspect of it. 

Sorry if this has been addressed countless times; I did attempt to search for an answer before posting!

Here's my deal: I am running Debian Lenny and recently built the svn code for version 3.6.13.  I want to get some games going with some of my friends, but they all use Windows!  As far as I know, the main release for Win is 3.6.12.  If I set these guys up with that version, will we be able to play together, with the different versions and different OSes?  If so, does one particular version/OS have to be the server?

At this point, we would just be playing the vanilla FS2 missions and not even using the Media VPs, as all of us have very outdated systems.  I just want to know if this will work before I get everyones' hopes up.  I could try to get 3.6.13 building for Windows, but I must admit I have a hell of a time getting all of the dependencies in place for Windows (I'm a mingw user).  Sorry if this is painstakingly obvious for you more experienced people out there; I'm just looking for an answer before I install the game on like five of my friends' computers!

Thanks!
Nami aka Mirakus

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: newb question - multiplayer version numbers and different OSes
3.6.12 final and 3.6.13 builds are currently compatible in multi.  Just make sure you all are using inferno builds as non-inferno can't see inferno. 

If there is something that breaks compatibility there will be an announcement posted as to what builds are compatible.  Usually anything that would break multi compatibility  is held until right before a new releases. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: newb question - multiplayer version numbers and different OSes
Also Nami, make a note of which trunk revision you built, and try to get the Windows users to get a nightly build with a revision as close to that as you can.

Specifically, 6627 is probably a good one to get everyone on at one time, as that includes the new go_faster code :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays