Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 187945 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
They have shipyards in orbit of Earth and Mars. At least some earth shipyards (Saab shipyards are mentioned in Darkest Hour) are gone in the Blitz. Mars has the Faslane (the one that built the first Orions, and more recently the three Solarises) as part of the Bradbury Fleet Yards (which are mentioned in the tech descr of the Solaris as well as some fiction).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Finn McCool would be good for the Knossos because one of the myths associated with him has him building the Giant's Causeway to Scotland. And then a Scottish giant came over to fight and tore it up whilst running away again. THIS IS SO APPLICABLE WHY CAN'T YOU SEE
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
That name would be.... too cool.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Finn McCool would be good for the Knossos because one of the myths associated with him has him building the Giant's Causeway to Scotland. And then a Scottish giant came over to fight and tore it up whilst running away again. THIS IS SO APPLICABLE WHY CAN'T YOU SEE

That name would be.... too cool.

Would you settle for the alternative name, Fionn Mac Cumhaill? It sounds a tad more cryptic and serious, minus the overwhelming coolness.  :lol:

Cue a moderator or admin saying "we have absolutely, totally rejected that proposal, and that stands. No more asking for cool names. Anyone who begs for another cool name will be shot on sight or not be able to download the second half by a three month penalty."
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Celtic names just wouldn't really work for GTVA names, if I'm honest. They're too... airy, maybe? Too tied to fairy mythology and other naturalistic spiritual stuff. They lack the epic scale that Greek and Norse names carry, or the grandeur of Egyptian ones, or the menace of demon names. They work best with space elf types and my opinions on space elves are no secret.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:26:02 pm by PhantomHoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
They work best with space elf types and my opinions on space elves are no secret.

I'm sorry, does your mythology have swords that can lop mountains?
Hinduism has even more ridiculously powerful weapons for... Shiva, who can destroy the universe with the Pashupatastra, Vishnu has many more, including an Astra that can destroy the wielder (and allies) if used more than once! And also has a copy of the same Astra Shiva has.

And what other mythology has mortals kick the asses of the gods?

Dude I grew up on Irish myths and legends, you don't need to tell me they can be badass. But their actual content doesn't matter as much as cultural perceptions when it comes to the connotations of names, and the Greeks and Vikings definitely have the edge there.

They work best with space elf types and my opinions on space elves are no secret.

I'm sorry, does your mythology have swords that can lop mountains?
Hinduism has even more ridiculously powerful weapons for... Shiva, who can destroy the universe with the Pashupatastra, Vishnu has many more, including an Astra that can destroy the wielder (and allies) if used more than once! And also has a copy of the same Astra Shiva has.

And what other mythology has mortals kick the asses of the gods?

Very good point. Though real, historical names are pretty nice candidates as well. I'm surprised that we haven't seen a ship or class named after the Johnston, Samuel B. Roberts, Enterprise, Campbeltown, Thomas Durrant, Illustrious, etc. 
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If you look at the forces deployed thread, you may see that most 1st fleet frigates are named after historical figures.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

If you look at the forces deployed thread, you may see that most 1st fleet frigates are named after historical figures.

...and things like the Vatican, which is right up Ubuntu's alley and an example of heroism or significance in war (beyond instigating them).
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline CT27

On a lighter note, will the Chicago Cubs have ever made it back to the World Series by the 2300s?  :p

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

wut?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

On a lighter note, will the Chicago Cubs have ever made it back to the World Series by the 2300s?  :p

They'll probably win by 2250 or something.

On another note, hmmm... planetary or system-wide factions in the GTVA that act all like they belong in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
The chance for the 2nd or 3rd Fleet Feds to launch a desperate strike op and having had enough of the Gefs, decide to blow up their major armed installation?

The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Darius

Baseball? What do you think this is, Star Trek?

Offline CT27

My post was just meant to be a joke, sorry. 

Anyways, more on topic:  was the Hades in ST the only of its kind made?  If another was made, might one show up in WIH2?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
That would be neat, though I somehow doubt it. Building another Hades would gain the GTVA much. Maybe if it was mentioned or something...
Stuff

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

Who knows if the Hades was the only one of its kind? You know how much the GTI were sneaky bastards, well, actually, that's classified and punishable by death.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Isn't it the GTVI now? I can't even remember.
Stuff

Offline Aesaar

Why would anyone want another Hades?  The design is horribly, horribly outdated by now.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Why would anyone want another Hades?  The design is horribly, horribly outdated by now.

I might add another "horribly" to that. Seriously, while the ship is extremely cool, Even a Diomedies used effectively is better than the Hades.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun