Author Topic: Need for Speed  (Read 2401 times)

So, I was thinking the other day. I've played a lot of need for speed. In fact, here's the one's I've played, in chronological order of release.

The Need For Speed (PC Demo)
Need For Speed II SE (PC)
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (PC)
Need for Speed IV: High Stakes (PC)
Need for Speed V: Porsche Unleashed (PC)
Need for Speed V: Porsche Unleashed (GBA)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (PC)
Need for Speed Underground (PC)
Need for Speed Underground 2 (PC)
Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS2)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (GBA)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (PC Demo)
Need for Speed Carbon (PS2)
Need for Speed Undercover (PC)
Need for Speed Undercover (iPhone)
Need for Speed Nitro (Wii)
Need for Speed Shift (iPhone)
Need for Speed Shift (PC)
Need for Speed World (PC Beta)
Need for Speed World (PC)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (3!) (PC)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (3!) (iPhone)

Currently trying to get copies of:

Need for Speed Carbon LE (PC)
Need for Speed Most Wanted Black Edition (PC)

The only NFS game I haven't played? Prostreet.

:nervous:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I believe i have ISOs of MW Black Edition, if you know what i mean :P It isn't too different though, 1 more cheat to unlock 1 more challenge and car.
I don't like Prostreet either.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

I believe i have ISOs of MW Black Edition, if you know what i mean :P It isn't too different though, 1 more cheat to unlock 1 more challenge and car.
I don't like Prostreet either.

The difference is that it's Black Edition, which means that on Amazon it's $73.45 new. $4.99 used. :P  And honestly no, I don't know what an ISO is. Should I?  :P

I looked at Prostreet when we first got our Wii, but the control scheme sounded awful, especially since it was early wii. Something like hold the Wiimote horizontal, then angle it up 45 degrees. Tilt it forward for gas, tilt back for brake.  :ick:

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Buy normal NFS Most Wanted, get the Mod loader and one of cheat utils ( NFS Car Garage or something).
Hit apply patch, voila - Black Edition.
Oh, and it's totally not worth it. A couple of new Stickers/ Sponsors for the cars and that's it.

You do get an DVD with special bonus content with the black edition. That is, not INGAME bonus content, but the making off and all that.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Right. But why would someone want to pay extra for that? It's a game. And other Studios put that content up for free in the webs.

Offline newman

I saw the latest NFS Most Wanted (I think that's the name) on a friend's computer. 20 minutes of narcolepsy inducing gameplay made me conclude this one isn't for me - found it boring beyond belief. Also, why the hell did they turn it from a game to a glorified Facebook app with the option of racing?
Best NFS game was Porsche Unleashed, hands down.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I stopped playing the series after Carbon. MW was the best part of the series, imo.
The police chases were pretty good. Carbon...well, the canyon races were good, mostly.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Yes you should, ISO is a disk image format and one of the best tools for sharing cookies (Could be made/opened with UltraISO for example). Which means i can store cookies for ya to some remote corner of the internet for a day so you can download it, but i tell you, it's a lot of time spent for nothing, because the cookies taste bad.

EDIT: So Angelus can sleep well ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:23:20 pm by Nohiki »
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
We shouldn't discuss about uploading pitared software on these boards, rite?

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

the hell are you talking about, this is a cookie thread with a side of need for speed.
I love me some chocolate chip ones while playing underground 2.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Never knew there were so many... :blah:

No one has talked about pirating software...
I do see a lot of off-topic posts about cookies though. :lol:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I've somewhat given up on the NFS series as a whole, though part of the reason might be because of some strange attitude of mine in addition to not keeping up with video games in general as of late. I hold the opinion that things got worse after 6, and while I do like the idea of modified vehicles, I didn't like the way Need for Speed did it in its recent releases. How would I explain it though, I have no idea...

The only racing game I play right now is a coin-op at the arcades, and probably won't be released in any other format since it's one money-maker for the operators running them. And it's a game I would rather not talk about.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

I love the car customization in the newer titles, just since I love any game that lets you customize/build your equipment. So many cars, and each has so many modifications. I was never one for the insane vinyl setups tho- I prefer being able to see the body of the cars, which is why I love teal tinted windows w/ pure white, or a two-tone silver paintjob.

I saw the latest NFS Most Wanted (I think that's the name) on a friend's computer. 20 minutes of narcolepsy inducing gameplay made me conclude this one isn't for me - found it boring beyond belief. Also, why the hell did they turn it from a game to a glorified Facebook app with the option of racing?
Best NFS game was Porsche Unleashed, hands down.

I think you're talking about Hot Pursuit (3!). I actually really like that one, I only have 4 problems:
:The driving engine is a bit slow in the corners, they feel really drawn out sometimes

:No quick race where you pick a track, some cars, and go; like in the original hot pursuit

:Lack of car tuning. I don't mean like Underground or Most Wanted. I love that, but that's not what I mean. I mean the sliders from the original. In the car select screen, you could open up a menu with 10 or so sliders for all your car settings. The tire compound, torque vs handling, brake balance, sway bars, etc. Being able to tune a car to your driving style would be nice.

:NO FREAKING MANUAL GEARBOX. I finally get a gamepad with shoulder buttons ideal for shifting, and there's no freaking manual option. Automatic only.  :ick:

That said, the gameplay brings it all back. Lamborghinis with cop paintjobs chasing down Porsches and Paganis - That's just awesome. I missed that. Also, it's nice to see some decent locales. I'm sick of city streets, especially since Carbon and Undercover's cities made no sense. From a driving perspective, they're nice tracks, but in Undercover, apperently the city is made completely out of highways. And Carbon is a completely closed roadway system that only has nice corners, no 4-way intersections, etc. I liked Underground 1&2's cities, since those felt real.

That said, Carbon is my favorite second generation NFS game. Underground 2 would get it, but I hate the car selection. Carbon had exotics and muscle cars. Lots of people complained about how it's retarded, street racers wouldn't be able to afford a Lambo, why would you mess with a Lambo, etc. I loved that though; take your dream car and make it YOURS. And like I said, the tracks, from a racing point of view, were awesome. Carbon remains the only game that me and a friend could pick a car (for us it's the Mustang GT, the crappiness makes it so much more interesting), tune them and customize them our seperate ways, then race for hours. With nearly identical cars, it came down to driving style, and the over crappiness of the Mustang meant you had to be good, since if you screwed up the acceleration was balls. The feel of the cars and controls in Carbon was excellent too - it was forgiving enough that you won't instantly spin out like if you floored it in Underground, and you can get through corners with a minimum of braking, unlike, say Hot Pursuit (3!) where you have to slow down, and more often or not your car starts drifting when you don't want it to.

... who am I kidding, I don't really like Hot Pursuit. The driving engine, while not as bad as Hot Pursuit 2, is generally sluggish and unresponsive.  :ick:

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've played a lot of the Need For Speed games too. Off the top of my head, I've played:

The Need For Speed (demo)
The Need For Speed SE
Need For Speed II (I'm technically still "borrowing" my auntie's copy of this even though I've had it in my possesion for years. :p)
Need For Speed II SE (Unfortunately, I never owned this myself. I gave it as a gift for another one of my aunties for the computer used by her grandkids, but the disc was lost. I'm considering picking up a copy on eBay, but I'm not sure if it will run on any of my computers.)
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (Was the first PC game I owned, in fact. I still have the original disc. :))
Need For Speed: High Stakes
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Need For Speed Underground
Need For Speed Underground 2
Need For Speed Shift
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

I also owned Need For Speed Porsche Unleased for a couple of days, but returned it since it wouldn't work on my computer at the time.

I did prefer the gameplay of the original ones more; I am pleased that the new Hot Pursuit goes back to "take a supercar out and drive" gameplay.

Offline Davros

motor city online ?

@ssmit132 Like I said, I don't really like the driving engine of Hot Pursuit. Too unresponsive. That said, it might be in part that it's lagging, and I need to turn down my settings.

I have the same problem with Shift, which I got with Hot Pursuit and Undercover on Steam about a week ago. I hate Shift. Ugh, the iPhone version was better, for Christ sake. A tier 1 Audi TT moves too freaking fast to control for chrissakes. All the cars drive like they're on ice. And the controls. There's a full second delay between when I input a steering command and when it responds. And when it does, the driver turns the wheel so hard the car just spins out, EXCEPT when I'm going through a tight switchback, in which case he sits there and goes into a far wall, or a tight U corner, in which case he turns directly into the barrier of the inside edge of the turn.

@Davros Heard of it, but only long after it shut down.

Offline Davros

somebody converted it to single player
http://www.motorcityoffline.republika.pl/

NYEEEEH. I can't decide whether I absolutely love and completely hate Hot Pursuit  :P I'm leaning towards the first.