Author Topic: A Simple Texturing Tutorial (Warning to dialup users!) Updated with more goodies  (Read 88803 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: A Simple Texturing Tutorial (Warning to dialup users!) Updated with more goodies
crazybump is... wonky to me. xnormal is basically a renderer.(mighty good one)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Re: A Simple Texturing Tutorial (Warning to dialup users!) Updated with more goodies
all textures need to be .bmp's
at least for the step in truespace. as for the canopy, i have no idea how that works, i'm guessing its just an unwrapped model, not connected to the ship with the base texture being basically solid colored with a transparent alpha channel.

IMPORTANT, when exporting from TS 7.6, save object as truespace 6.6 or lower cob. PCS2 doesnt read the UV data correctly from the 7.6 cob. If you forgot how to do it, i showed a very... step by steppish guide in my thread which is stickyed.

also, your EngGlow0x-0x are wrong.

they should be like EngGlow01-0x. also... why the triple ****ing hell do you have so many subobjects?

in any case, if you wish for it just to be transferred to pof, you can send the model to me, my e-mail adress is in my profile.
I'm still just trying to figure out how much should be separated with the subobjects.
They were bmp's, and after opening Lithunwrap to look at the assembled model I found out they all got corrupted somehow.
Why I have no clue?
I was trying to figure out the textures so I left everything as separate pieces to do each texture.
I didn't know if I should make them each separate or children of the main object for each system.
Or join as many objects together as possible and just make decal maps of the exterior.
I'll send you a file to give me a few pointers about it if you can. I was really surprised by the offer m8, thanks again.
What format of file should I send?
I can't beleive how long this is taking me to get it right.

I forgot about the version # cob....duhhhhhhh  :p   thanks man

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
whichever file truespace or cinema 4d read. (3ds, obj, cob, scn, wrl, x, fbx, dae,...)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Unforunately crazybump is no longer free, so I've swtiched to Xnormals.

Thanks Pecenipicek :D
What is really driving me nuts is getting TS to read the textures when saving to cob.
I open the in Deep Exploration, all textures, transparency shows up.
I open the cob in PCS2 and it is a dark grey blob   :wtf:
I put in the Autogen Thrusters (EngGlow01-01, ect..) like the tutorial says, no thrusters.... :wtf:
I'm drawing a blank,
but it seems TS wipes out all transparency data for the canopy when it saves the cob file or anything is changed in hierarchy?
And TS decides it isn't going to use any textures when making the cob.

As already said, it's EngGlow0X-0Y  where X is the glow bank, and Y is the glow point.  Fighters usually have just one glow blank (X) but can have more than one glow point (Y).

Also get rid of all those subsystems, I've found out that pcs2 doesn't like too many of them.  Also detail1 should be detail0.
As for textures, transparency doesn't matter in truespace, fs2 won't use it anyways. The transparency is dependant on the texture alone.  If you look at my Additional-required*.vp file theres a glass.dds file.  For the rest of the textures, you'll probably have to reassign them within truespace. Hint: you can paint a group of objects all at once. 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Thanks guys! As usual great help and many thanks gentlemen!
I'll get some things together tonight. I may just use my web space to post the files.
(another project I never got back to, I have 4 domains and a full web ASPNET server with SQL 2005 I was planning to do DotNetNuke forums on.
Once I get the hang of a few models I'm diving into the FS2 open code to see if I can volunteer to help out development with the tedious logic.
In the mean time I'm going to make an ftp area on there for some of these models, I'll let you gents know in case you want some model upload/download space available, or in case the community needs to have some extra space on an update rush I'll help and make some bandwidth available. No sense in it lying dormant all of the time.)

I will have to learn how to paint the transparent textures in TS 7.6 then. ...sigh.... that interface is just tough to deal with.

Offline Water

I will have to learn how to paint the transparent textures in TS 7.6
Why? Unless you plan on doing renders in TS. Otherwise just do what is suitable for PCS2/FSO, which is using the alpha channel on the diffuse map.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My normal maps are showing as dodgy'ish. I used the NVidia-photoshop plugins. Any setting preferences as my map is kinda blue, i noticed the assets.vp maps are kinda green hence the question.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Water

My normal maps are showing as dodgy'ish. I used the NVidia-photoshop plugins. Any setting preferences as my map is kinda blue, i noticed the assets.vp maps are kinda green hence the question.
Herra Tohtori covered this in his first post in this thread --> http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55854.0.html

Why? Unless you plan on doing renders in TS. Otherwise just do what is suitable for PCS2/FSO, which is using the alpha channel on the diffuse map.

???? I need to set the alpha channel in my paint program or which program????
If I missed it I apologize, I couldn't find the alpha channels in PSP 7 for a bmp.

Offline Water

???? I need to set the alpha channel in my paint program or which program????
If I missed it I apologize, I couldn't find the alpha channels in PSP 7 for a bmp.
BMP can't be saved with an alpha channel. So you would need to save as either tga or dds. TGA is better for testing - less messing around.

OK, Lithunwrap reads only BMP from what I see, so I save the BMP in PSP as TGA with the alpha channel set for transparency and edit the image file referenced in TS or any other program able to edit the texture name like Deep Explorer 5?

Offline Water

OK, Lithunwrap reads only BMP from what I see, so I save the BMP in PSP as TGA with the alpha channel set for transparency and edit the image file referenced in TS or any other program able to edit the texture name like Deep Explorer 5?
I think you are mixing texture issues with conversion problems. Ignore tranparency for now - sort out the conversion problems first.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken