Author Topic: Also a Cloaking Texture Request  (Read 7210 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Also a Cloaking Texture Request
Uhm, Hi. :3

I figured I might as well, since everyone's jumping on it. I got a stealth mission coming up for which this will be useful.

Could I get the cloaking effect kinda like this, with cyan/blue hexagons shimmering across instead of the lightning/shield effec. 15 frames at 15 FPS should do it, don't want too many frames, seeing as the cockpit and glass textures at the very least needs fading out in alpha, I don't think they need effects. (don't want to murderize bmpman)

Files are attached, including the pof.
The texture isn't too good, (compression artefacts :( I don't have the original) but I can probably redo the diffuse map alpha-fading if it ever gets upgraded as necessary, its really the glow effect over top that I can't do.

Also, a short looping effect of the same thing passing back and forth would be cool too, though I don't know how it would work on this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/126554/FS2/files_1.rar
textures (including the mediavps ones of the cockpit and glass) are included, as well as a POF.

(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Also a Cloaking Texture Request
Also, a short looping effect of the same thing passing back and forth would be cool too, though I don't know how it would work on this.

What do you mean by that part?

Also, I seem to be a bit confused... Are you saying you can take care of the 15 frame alpha fading? If that is the case, then did you want me to just make the overlay and let you deal with actually overlaying it? Or would you rather I just make it all work?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

Uh, instead of just having "nothing" when the ship's in cloaked mode, there would be like a small stripe of the effect that passes across the ship from front to back (and possibly back the other way, but that might take too many frames).
(´・ω・`)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, I'll see what I can come up with... I might be able to finish it by next week.

Offline Droid803

Thanks again :D
(´・ω・`)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Uh, instead of just having "nothing" when the ship's in cloaked mode, there would be like a small stripe of the effect that passes across the ship from front to back (and possibly back the other way, but that might take too many frames).
Something like but much, much lesser?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Although a glow map or animated map is assumably in order here, what about applying a reflective, glass-like effect on the texture? Although you'd have full or near-full opacity on the cloaked texture, the glass/mirror effect as seen on glass materials or shiny hulls would enable a bit of that visual distortion you're looking for without hopefully being too obvious.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Bmpman: 2696/4750 bitmap slots in use.

Don't worry about frame count mjn.mixael, just make this effect awesome. Droid is just being paranoid about his non-existing bmpman limit!  :p :lol:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Droid803

Something like but much, much lesser?

Yes, like that but less. (and with the same hex-effect as the fade out/in).
Where is that from, anyway?

Although a glow map or animated map is assumably in order here, what about applying a reflective, glass-like effect on the texture? Although you'd have full or near-full opacity on the cloaked texture, the glass/mirror effect as seen on glass materials or shiny hulls would enable a bit of that visual distortion you're looking for without hopefully being too obvious.

Hrm...it probably wouldn't be the right distortion though, it'd just look like a mirror (and only from angles with stuff to reflect).
Probably a combination of transparency and reflectivity would help.

Bmpman: 2696/4750 bitmap slots in use.

Don't worry about frame count mjn.mixael, just make this effect awesome. Droid is just being paranoid about his non-existing bmpman limit!  :p :lol:

Just don't make it 2055 frames and we're golden. :D
(´・ω・`)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'd suggest a 7:3 ratio of transparency:reflectiveness, if that ratio is right from what my imagination says, or if ratio even applies to this :P I'm afraid that the texture might actually lag the game to a standstill at that amount of frames.

(It's the FFR-41MR Mave, designation B-503 "Yukikaze" from Sentou Yousei Yukikaze)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'd suggest a 7:3 ratio of transparency:reflectiveness, if that ratio is right from what my imagination says, or if ratio even applies to this :P I'm afraid that the texture might actually lag the game to a standstill at that amount of frames.

(It's the FFR-41MR Mave, designation B-503 "Yukikaze" from Sentou Yousei Yukikaze)

That ratio doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... regardless.. a 15 frame animation should not lag the game to a standstill...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Droid803

Awesome!
Too bad the opacity of the main texture affects the glowmap too (and thus the ripple effect can't really be seen :( )
Looked at it in tech room, subtlety is awesome.

EDIT: woah why is it so huge when extracted from the 7z well I guess it'll shrink back when I archive for release. but woah 800MB are these even compressed i'm rather amazed this all fit into 84MB 7z.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:00:12 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)