Author Topic: SpaceX First Time Falcon Heavy Test  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
SpaceX First Time Falcon Heavy Test
I've just read a news article on WIRED saying that SpaceX successfully test fired its long-awaited Falcon Heavy rocket. Does anyone hear this?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Luis Dias

Re: SpaceX First Time Falcon Heavy Test
Yes. Musk himself confirmed it. Launch is next week.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I believe the report said that he hopes to launch as early as next week.  It's not a done deal.  That said, I am looking forward to it.  I do doubt however, that he will be able to meet a claim me made about this time last year, that he will be able to send a crew into (I believe) a free-return trajectory pass around the moon, by the end of THIS year, using a Falcon Heavy and a human-rated Dragon capsule.  It would be awesome if he could, but since the Dragon has yet to perform a crewed flight, and Musk himself indicated that this first Falcon Heavy launch is likely to be a spectacular (and hopefully non-destructive) failure.  Be that as it may, I am still hopeful that that roaster can be recovered from its orbit some time in the distant future and brought back to Earth as a priceless antique.

My older brother got me on to following SpaceX.  He kinda gave me the run-down of the various corporations competing for space access.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
First Dragon crewed flight is now scheduled for December 2018. It is safe to say that there will be no crewed flight around the Moon this year.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. A very sad anniversary considering we have been stuck in low orbit since the end of Apollo. Dragon circumlunar flight should make it a lot better.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
WOW!  Talk about your successful test.  The only thing that didn't go absolutely to plan was the current unaccounted status of the core booster.  Seeing those side boosters perform their simultaneous landing was just awesome though, and the live feeds of the Tessla with Starman in the driver seat with the rapidly receding Earth is just surreal.  I believe the next hurdle is the relighting of the second stage after clearing the Van Allen belts.

That was really cool to watch!  I'm both amused and a little appalled at the shameless showboating with launching a CAR of all things, but at the same time, why not?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Center core confirmed to have run out of fuel and crashed at 300-500mph about 100m away from the Of Course I Still Love You (which is the best name for a ship, ever). Sad, but absolutely acceptable, given that it was fitted with cheap, non-titanium stabilisation fins (SpaceX expected to lose it anyway). Meanwhile, the twin Little Falcon boosters landed perfectly.

Third burn has also been confirmed as successful, with the Tesla now cutting through Mars orbit and well into a high heliocentric orbit that will take it through the asteroid belt.

These apply, I think:

I feel utterly dwarfed by the fact that I am alive to experience what I hope to be a space age rennaissance. I have very high hopes.

As for why you'd launch a car of all things - because this is how you capture minds and hearts.

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As marketing stunts go, it's certainly effective.

But honestly, I would've wished for something a bit more aspirational? Put a radio on it, Sputnik style. Give some students the opportunity to fly hardware to Mars, powered by a Tesla battery. Do something that's more meaningful than a display of late-stage capitalism.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd like to imagine the confusion if extraterestrial's first contact scenario was encountering a rocket carrying a car. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm pretty sure that the intention was to **** with future generations if we ever lose our history. I still think they should have included a mock flux capacitor and a copy of Back to the Future on the entertainment system to really screw with them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mikes

Well if there IS an advanced intergalactic community watching us, I'm sure they are doing a lot of facepalms or tentaclepalms or whatever right now.

And if there are hostile aliens exterminating any signs of life in the galaxy that they can find a hint of, I'm sure they will double check if humanity is still there to exterminate ... after they stopped laughing ... when this Tesla swings by their civilisation in a couple of million years.

But as a fellow caveman, F*** yeah that was cool!!!!!  :nod: ;7 :lol:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:25:40 am by Mikes »

Whenever I read something like this, the same question pops up in my mind: How much tax money did this guy receive to show how awesome and effective his private company is? :rolleyes:

Offline Luis Dias

THERE'S ALWAYS THIS OPINION. ALWAYS. IN EVERY GODDAMNED FORUM. JEEESH.

I'm not questioning THAT they're spending money for space exploration - they could spend times more for that IMO - but how. I don't see why they need some zillionaires to do that. He came were the NASA was already decades ago, but the US government cut their spending.

Offline 666maslo666

But honestly, I would've wished for something a bit more aspirational? Put a radio on it, Sputnik style. Give some students the opportunity to fly hardware to Mars, powered by a Tesla battery. Do something that's more meaningful than a display of late-stage capitalism.

It is an electric car. I can hardly imagine a more meaningful thing to launch when the threat of climate change is looming over the world..

It is not actually going to Mars, just to an orbit that intersects Mars orbit. To go to Mars they would have to wait for a proper launch window.

late-stage capitalism

:rolleyes:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline 666maslo666

Whenever I read something like this, the same question pops up in my mind: How much tax money did this guy receive to show how awesome and effective his private company is? :rolleyes:

$ several billion, they were mostly payments for ISS resupply flights, and quite inexpensive at that. SpaceX certainly wouldnt be where it is today without public money, however it is very much a mutually beneficial relationship so far.

It is, admittedly, better then the Tesla falling back onto earth.

That would be terminal-stage capitalism.

Offline Lorric

The car has overshot the Mars orbit and is on its way to the asteroid belt.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm pretty sure that the intention was to **** with future generations if we ever lose our history. I still think they should have included a mock flux capacitor and a copy of Back to the Future on the entertainment system to really screw with them.
That put me in mind of something that happened on Apollo 17 (that I recall seeing in the "From the Earth to the Moon" mini-series).  After returning from the surface of the Moon to the Command Module, the lander crew were about to come aboard, but the Command Module pilot denied them entry until they had taken off their space suits, because they were covered in moon dust and he didn't want it dirtying up his recently cleaned spacecraft.  The Lander crew then slipped off their space suits... completely, and prepped for their lunar escape burn, in the nude.  As they were about to fire the engine, one of the astronauts jokingly commented that if by some horrible sequence of events the fire sequence failed and they died, some future space archeologists coming across their craft would be VERY confused as to NASA and its space objectives.