Author Topic: Translation of Control Config menu  (Read 1049 times)

Translation of Control Config menu
I've been working on Japanese translation mod but there are a few lines left untranslated in Control Config menu.
It seems they are not included in strings.tbl. Where can I find them?

Offline m!m

Re: Translation of Control Config menu
The controls config menu is a bit special since it requires that all strings used in that screen have sequential XSTR ids. The strings you are seeing are those added by the SCP which are not present in the retail strings.tbl and are also not translatable. The controls XSTRs start at 507 and go up to 613. However there is a gab of 6 free ids after that so at least that many strings could be made translatable.

To be honest, that code really needs to be rewritten so it just uses the standard XSTR functions so maybe I'm just going to do that.

So, the final answer to your question is this: No, they cannot be translated at the moment. The engine first needs to be changed to allow that.

The controls config menu is a bit special since it requires that all strings used in that screen have sequential XSTR ids. The strings you are seeing are those added by the SCP which are not present in the retail strings.tbl and are also not translatable. The controls XSTRs start at 507 and go up to 613. However there is a gab of 6 free ids after that so at least that many strings could be made translatable.

To be honest, that code really needs to be rewritten so it just uses the standard XSTR functions so maybe I'm just going to do that.

So, the final answer to your question is this: No, they cannot be translated at the moment. The engine first needs to be changed to allow that.

Thank you. I'll add this information to mod download page so that users will understand why these are left untranslated.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
There are still some other texts, that are not translateable so far. I posted a collection of them on GitHub.

But in the strings.tbl there is support for some other text, that is undocumented so far except you look in the source code directly. The official english segment of the strings.tbl ends with id 1570, but there are translateable texts up to id 1637. At least they should also be translated into Japanese ;)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.