Author Topic: Derailment  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Lorric

"Why should I join Hard Light?"

"Well first of all, you'll be able to see this board called political discussion that non members can't see."

"Why can't I see it now?"

"Well, you see it's so destructive to our image. People don't wanna join when they see it, so we have to hide it from you!"

I, as you can see, obviously dislike the sugar coated front we're presenting to non-members, but I still support the move to block pol disc from the eyes of most of the World, as before, because potentially anyone on the planet could see it, certain people felt they had to fight as hard and dirty as possible. Now, probably only a few dozen people tops are gonna see it. It seems to have taken some of the edge off.

How would I want you to represent the community? I don't think it's possible for you to do it. I would normally say be honest. But you're new yourself, so I don't think that will be enough. It's probably why you got picked for the role over someone who's been here longer. Back when I was here as long as you have been, I would have sang the praises of Hard Light, and I would have been being honest. But even if this wasn't an issue, there's no way you'd be allowed to be honest. Pol Disc was blocked from view because an honest view of Hard Light is not desired.

So what's the best I can ask for? Let the World know about the work produced here. Despite all the divisive dysfunction with the forum itself, some incredible work has been produced by the members of this community. It deserves to be enjoyed by as many people as possible. If you can, centre your efforts on that. Jargon busting is certainly not an unworthy effort either. A jargon buster sticky post could be of some value.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Why should I join Hard Light?"

"Well first of all, you'll be able to see this board called political discussion that non members can't see."

"Why can't I see it now?"

"Well, you see it's so destructive to our image. People don't wanna join when they see it, so we have to hide it from you!"

I, as you can see, obviously dislike the sugar coated front we're presenting to non-members, but I still support the move to block pol disc from the eyes of most of the World, as before, because potentially anyone on the planet could see it, certain people felt they had to fight as hard and dirty as possible. Now, probably only a few dozen people tops are gonna see it. It seems to have taken some of the edge off.

How would I want you to represent the community? I don't think it's possible for you to do it. I would normally say be honest. But you're new yourself, so I don't think that will be enough. It's probably why you got picked for the role over someone who's been here longer. Back when I was here as long as you have been, I would have sang the praises of Hard Light, and I would have been being honest. But even if this wasn't an issue, there's no way you'd be allowed to be honest. Pol Disc was blocked from view because an honest view of Hard Light is not desired.

So what's the best I can ask for? Let the World know about the work produced here. Despite all the divisive dysfunction with the forum itself, some incredible work has been produced by the members of this community. It deserves to be enjoyed by as many people as possible. If you can, centre your efforts on that. Jargon busting is certainly not an unworthy effort either. A jargon buster sticky post could be of some value.

What. The. Actual.

This is hardly relevant at best and a willing distraction from the intent of this thread at worst.

Iain is motivated and has ideas. Oh, and he's actually doing things about it... which is more than I can say for most of us.

I heartily urge this thread not to continue down this discussion path and get back to discussing how to most easily get new people playing, discussing, and modding FSO.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

You'll get no opposition from me on that. People playing and modding and talking about Freespace are all very much good things I'm happy to see be encouraged. There is no intent to distract from the intent of the thread.

Re: We need a Noob-friendly jargon busting intro to Freespace and HLP.
I think political discussion got contained moved to Political Discussion Board for a good reason.