Author Topic: Problem with "Playing Judas" and "Enter The Dragon"  (Read 6497 times)

Offline snake60

Re: Problem with "Playing Judas" and "Enter The Dragon"
so,

same conclusion for me. It's works well without awakenings in the folder, but as soon as i put it in the FSPORT folder, i've the "dragon" problem. All the files i use have been downloaded one week ago (fsport AND awakenings).

The important thing is that i'm can finish the campaign wOOOOOOttttt  :D

Offline miskat

I hear you there, snake.  XD  And Awakenings does work if you put it in a seperate folder with a mod.ini file with the lines:

[Multimod]
secondarymod = fsport, mediavps;

Makes everything peachy keen.

Offline snake60

yep, that's exactly what i've done

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've just taken a look to this. And it is a loading order problem. And, yes, I'm using the latest available build (2nd hoopla from Taylor, ie, RC7.9x 3rd version).

Both, fsport-awakenings.vp and fsport3_0_3.vp have a ship.tbl. But they are different:

+AWAKENINGS:
Code: [Select]
$Name: SF Dragon#Terrans

+FSPORT:
$Name: SF Dragon (Terrans)

Despite of what Explorer file order shows, fsport-awakenings.vp has higher loading priority than fsport3_0_3.vp. ("-" is alphabetically before "3"). So Awakenings table takes the control and defines a different ship from the one used in port missions.

Solutions:
  • The best one. Install each mod in its own folder and use Mod.ini and SecondaryList features. DO THIS ALWAYS, DON'T MIX MODS IN THE SAME FOLDER AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE BETTER.
  • Not a really good one. Rename fsport3_0_3.vp to fsport-3_0_3.vp. Then you'll have moved the trouble to Awakenings Mod (if there were missions with Terran Dragons in it). But Port will work fine.

As a side note: I haven't checked all settings in both ship.tbl's, but even if there weren't different named ships, mixing both mods can change designed game balance. As an example: imagine that Awakenigs had a faster Herc because of whatever reason you can think of. Then Herc in port would be also faster, so missions with it would be somehow easier. So again, never mix mods, unless you are absolutely sure you're not going to have any undesired cross-effect.

I hear you there, snake.  XD  And Awakenings does work if you put it in a seperate folder with a mod.ini file with the lines:

[Multimod]
secondarymod = fsport, mediavps;

Makes everything peachy keen.

Beware of the space you've put in "SecondaryMod = FSPort,mediavps;". IIRC you have to type without spaces in the list. With your typing FSOpen will be looking for a folder called " mediavps" instead of "mediavps".

And remember that "fsport" or "mediavps" should be changed to match the EXACT name you have actually used to place your mods or additions.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Goober, reopen Mantis 1178, because I can assure you that with latest Taylor's Cousinarnold build this bug is still present. (I can't reopen it, I just can monitor it).

If I add fsport-awakenings.vp to FSPort 3.0.3 folder so ship.tbl is changed, when I try to play "Enter the Dragon" I get:

Error: Invalid ship class name.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-ship "SF Dragon (Terrans)" )
)
(Error appears to be: SF Dragon (Terrans))
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 5792
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

And of course, I start playing with an Ulysses.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline miskat

Get FSPort 3.0.4.  That should fix it for you.

If not, put Awakenings in another folder.  =P  But this bug should not be build-dependent.  It's a problem between Awakenings and FSPort, not FSPort and SCP.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Get FSPort 3.0.4.  That should fix it for you.

If not, put Awakenings in another folder.  =P  But this bug should not be build-dependent.  It's a problem between Awakenings and FSPort, not FSPort and SCP.

Yes I know that. But nevertheless FSOpen is supposed to swap between those ship names and it is not doing it. Check Goober's Mantis report.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's a feature that's supposed to handle the slight differences in names, but it wasn't working for all cases.  I just fixed it.

Offline miskat

Gotcha.  Sorry about that, wasn't aware of that.  ^^;;;

I'm gonna go eat my foot now.  XD

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Sorry Goober, but it seems that Mantis 1178 is still alive in official 3.6.9.

Now, it doesn't show up any error window but the dragons are changed by ulysses nevertheless. Look at the screenshot from "Enter the Dragon".

(Intentionally using fsport3.0.3 + fsport-awakenings.vp in the same folder)

OTOH, why are you coding this feature? I think "intelligent" software behaviour, like this one, can be quite dangerous. Imagine that someone wants a 'SF Dragon#Terrans' and a 'SF Dragon (Terrans)' because of whatever reason. Or imagine that someone is tweaking 'SF Dragon#Terrans' features and he doesn't notice that there is a 'SF Dragon (Terrans)' in any other -shp.tbm.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sorry Goober, but it seems that Mantis 1178 is still alive in official 3.6.9.

Now, it doesn't show up any error window but the dragons are changed by ulysses nevertheless. Look at the screenshot from "Enter the Dragon".
Uhh...

You don't fly a Dragon fighter in "Enter the Dragon"; you fly a Ulysses.  You fly a Dragon in "Playing Judas".

OTOH, why are you coding this feature? I think "intelligent" software behaviour, like this one, can be quite dangerous. Imagine that someone wants a 'SF Dragon#Terrans' and a 'SF Dragon (Terrans)' because of whatever reason. Or imagine that someone is tweaking 'SF Dragon#Terrans' features and he doesn't notice that there is a 'SF Dragon (Terrans)' in any other -shp.tbm.
This is for adaptability and user-friendliness.  It's so people using different versions of the port don't get table errors.  The situation you describe is very rare, and is far outweighed by the gain in flexibility provided by the feature.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

Uhh...

You don't fly a Dragon fighter in "Enter the Dragon"; you fly a Ulysses.  You fly a Dragon in "Playing Judas".

Ooops, sorry Goober. Your fix DOES work fine.