Author Topic: Connection Failed  (Read 3145 times)

-.-
Need I say more? I did everything in the setup instructions for multiplayer, but it's just not working. *sobs*
Yes I have 3.6.9 release, no I do not have any Media VPs, no I do not have any mods selected, yes networking is on in the Launcher, and if you need a screenie of my port forwarding screen, I can give it to ya.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Check your data folder for the fs2open_pxo.cfg and open it in notepad.

Change what it says to

Code: [Select]
fs2netd.game-warden.com
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

So "64.92.160.250" should not be default?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you look up Game-Warden's IP address you'll see that it is actually 64.92.160.250 so there is no harm in leaving it with that as the default.

However Game-Warden's IP address has changed much more often than its domain name so resolving the name with DNS is a much more future proof option. Besides it's easier for me to remember the correct domain name from memory :D

Thanks. The reason I asked is because Hunter and I are trying to determine the perfect configuration that will be downloaded from his site, and to avoid making lots of small changes.

Ok about to change it, I'll post here if it works or not. Thanks in advance :)

Go figure. Of course it's not that easy.  :mad:
Exact same thing still happening... I have an ancient MN510 Microsoft Router that is a PITA to configure for port forwarding, because nothing's labeled clearly. -.-

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep the router is likely your problem.

I couldn't see a guide for the MN510 but there is a guide for the MN500 on portforward.com which is hopefully similar enough to let you figure out what to do.

Ok so the router ISN'T the problem.  :confused:
That's exactly what I did. >.< Just to confirm, do I want 7808 or 12000 forwarded? I have both atm, just to be safe.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Thanks. The reason I asked is because Hunter and I are trying to determine the perfect configuration that will be downloaded from his site, and to avoid making lots of small changes.
The configuration is going to all change with the new version of FS2NetD that will be in 3.6.10 though. :)

fs2open_pxo.cfg will be obsolete, and the original multi.cfg files will be used instead.  That provides more options (which we will make use of) and gives a single point of configuration.  The game will also be hard-coded to default to using the default FS2NetD port (12000) and the default FS2NetD server (fs2netd.game-warden.com).  So, other than firewall setup, a typical user shouldn't need to change anything unless they are using non-default ports (like for mods or something).

Ok so the router ISN'T the problem.  :confused:
That's exactly what I did. >.< Just to confirm, do I want 7808 or 12000 forwarded? I have both atm, just to be safe.
7808 (UDP) needs to be forwarded, but 12000 (TCP) really only needs to go one way, out, but it wouldn't hurt anything to forward it.

Still very much not working and I'm considering going [url = "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwgNhX4BSo"] Crazy German Kid[/url] on my computer >.<

PS. How do I get the URL thingymabob to work like I want it to?

Fixed it. Problem was I didn't have a fs2open_pxo.cfg file at all >.<
The remaining question... Where do I get 3.6.9 vps so I'm not a 1337 hacker <.<

There isn't a 3.6.9 yet, here's the latest: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.0.html

How did you create your fs2open_pxo.cfg, and where did you put it?

Check the highlights, 3.6.9 is hot off the code frozen ice :P
Anyway, I copied multi.cfg and renamed it fs2open_pxo.cfg then opened it in wordpad and deleted everything and pasted in
Code: [Select]
fs2netd.game-warden.com
That should do it. :)

Check the highlights, 3.6.9 is hot off the code frozen ice
I know about the new 3.6.9 exe, but are you saying thare are new 3.6.9 mediavp's to supplant the 3.6.8 zeta's? I don't know about that highlight stuff...

Anyway, I copied multi.cfg and renamed it fs2open_pxo.cfg then opened it in wordpad and deleted everything and pasted in
Hey, hi-tek !  :D