Author Topic: The official Saga eyecandy' corner  (Read 46695 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: The official Saga eyecandy' corner
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline starlord

Sir, I salute you! :nod:

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wow ,I cannot wait to blow this up with HTL missiles you presented previously.  :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, I am SO going to fly into that fighter bay....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Can we expect torpedo shockwaves?
Because launching them in fighterbays (my and my father's favourite way to handle carriers) will be much harder then.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
As with all big explosions torpedos are creating shockwaves. Still if you are carefull you can performe this kind of stunt, its just a bit harder ^_^
I would recommend that you be at the one end of the hangar and fire at the oposite end. I would also suggest that you take a look first at the targets overall hull strength.
If you are not carefull the shockwave of the carriers explosion might damage you or even kill you.

Still I managed to fire my torpedos inside a carrier, then afterburn through the hangar and was just quick enough to escape the final explosion of the carrier. Okay shields where down and the hull damaged but still kinda fun ^_^
(Note: This was before we started to change some parts of the balance and we will tweak it even more till the final release. Still feel free to try it too, it can't hurt that much ^__° )
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
In WC3 I managed to fly into a carrier just as my friendly destroyer fried it.  :)
I know I can try to fire torpedoes to opposite end of hangar ,but it can be difficult with Ralarrad.
Anyway it's a destroyer, so torpedoes may not be needed in some cases.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
/looks at screenshots

Hey, how do you guys table the weapons and ship handling if the fighters can go that fast...?  :eek2:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
hehe, the ships are not moving faster than in the prologue or normal FS2, it is just an different number in the display, because in the original Wing Commander games the numbers work that way.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Neat trick.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
High res Ralarrad anyone? ;)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I know I can try to fire torpedoes to opposite end of hangar ,but it can be difficult with Ralarrad.
Anyway it's a destroyer, so torpedoes may not be needed in some cases.

Yes inside the Ralarrad there isn't enought space to get away from the explosion. Still another thing you could do is target the hangar or a subsystem/target and then fire your torpedos in an angle that flys them directly into the hangar.

On the other hand, as you said, who needs torpedos for a light destroyer ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline KeldorKatarn

I'd advice against this. Do not try to make any "launch torpedo inside hangar bay" stunts. You can fly in most hangars of course. But the torpedoes will have a huge blast radius. I'd stay at least 500 klicks away from an explosion. Also keep your distance if you interecept an enemy torpedo. Nothing is worse than being blown up by a torpedo detonation near you, especially if it is your own.

The trick doesn't do anything anyway. Torpedoes are shield piercing anyway, so it doesn't matter where you launch them from.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Torpedo can be shot down and I don't expect turrets inside fighterbay, so it's still a better idea than firing them at armour, being exposed to turret fire.
500 klicks?
FS allows you to get only 750km from the center of battlefield, then you get blown up. (I'm assuming that klick=kilometer ,correct me if I'm mistaken)
And getting out of hangar before torpedo detonation should still be possible, Kilrathi carrier are long enough for it, as is Fralthi, of course Ralarrad is obviuosly too small for that, but it can be torn apart relatively easly using guns on Longbow or Thunderbolt (not to mention I will most likely want to keep my heaviest ordnance for something bigger, especially in Thunderbolt).

Offline KeldorKatarn

A klick is not a kilometer no.

Just trust me. You don't want to be near a torpedo explosion and you don't want to fire it when you're near the targetted ship.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think I will anyway find answers for my questions after WCS will come out.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Thats for sure.

As for your argument about turrets. Yes its indeed more likely that a torpedo isn't blown up inside the hangar but I would also recommend that you either take out some turrets first or you search for a weak spot in the turret positioning. Also waiting for other ships to attack the same target helps a lot as the turrets fire, hopefully, at the other targets.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You could also always fire torpedos at point blank range and then bank hard and accelerate away. It works in most cases - sometimes you blow yourself up. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
We could make a contest. Who first rides the shockwave Seether style and captures it as video gets a cookie ^_^