Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 Remake -- You are (ex-)SOLDIER  (Read 994 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Final Fantasy 7 Remake -- You are (ex-)SOLDIER
So this finally came out. Fantastic.

Seriously, that this thing actually got made after literally 15 years of Square pointedly not talking about it (but teasing the crap out of it!) is quite remarkable.
Even more remarkable is that .... it's actually quite good?
I'm about 12 hours in now; during that stretch of time, the game has covered ... about the first 3 hours of the original? Square has done an absolutely amazing job recreating Midgar in modern full 3D style; they've added a lot of interstitial stuff between the major plot beats of the original that (when they're good) flesh out side characters and the city of Midgar, when the stuff is bad it's basically taking the place of the original's random battles.

What I actually like the most about it is that this is a game with a strong meta element. FF7 (the original) had "rediscovering the past" as one of its themes: Pretty much everyone in it has to deal with remnants of their past, their origin or their upbringing in some form. In this game, which is ostensibly about remaking FF7, there are explicit elements in the plot that only make sense from the context of this game existing in a universe where FF7 already exists. There are forces in the plot, fighting to keep the story on the track FF7 laid out, and Sephiroth at least seems to be aware of this and actively fighting it... Which, at least as things stand now, is an awesome idea that allows the people making FF7R now to have actual narrative tension in there that would not exist if this had been just a straight remake.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Re: Final Fantasy 7 Remake -- You are (ex-)SOLDIER
What I actually like the most about it is that this is a game with a strong meta element.

I gotta say, I saw your posts about this on Discord and I really have come to a certain feeling of general contempt for this kind of 'meta element'. Mostly this comes from seeing the film industry falling head over heels in love with any film that's about directors, actors and film critics, I guess.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

If you just want to replay FFVII with better graphics, buy the STEAM version and download the new 7th Heaven mod installer with any combinations you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3A8BfJDUoY
I have no problem with Remake trying something mostly the same, but with some twists for longtime fans.

I have no problem with Remake trying something mostly the same, but with some twists for longtime fans.

Spoiler:
From what I hear, it may be a bit more than that...