Author Topic: FreeSpace Evolutions mod for Nexus  (Read 44392 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Policy on model usage in other games' mods?
And there I thought the german translation was only medicore, but from what I read here it seems that's still better than the original.

As for fighters jumping in on their own, could you perhaps make an invisible object that's completely undetectable to launch them from?
If that undetectable part can't be done, you could call it a subspace disturbance or something instead I guess.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nexus... Storyline was awful. Mandatory save the universe subplot within save the universe main plot didn't exactly improve it. And mission design after the very promising good start seemed to steadily decline.. Voice acting was pretty horrible at least later on (the screaming of the allied aliens being the worst).

Loved the game play though. Absolutely fabulous. Still have it.

Initial missions = greatness
Plot = garbage (with that whole AI gods thing...ugh)
Voice Acting = great for humans, terrible for aliens
Gamepaly = excellent
Modding capability = limited. Too much hard-coded stuff for my liking.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Arparso

Yeah, sadly there's a lot of hard-coded stuff. I'd really like to change the warp effect or the default fighter commands, for example, but that's just not possible without ugly and error-prone workarounds.

As for fighters jumping in on their own, could you perhaps make an invisible object that's completely undetectable to launch them from?
If that undetectable part can't be done, you could call it a subspace disturbance or something instead I guess.
Should be easily possible, although that invisible object would at least appear on the target list. Not really a big deal, though.

Now onto some new images :)

Aeolus and fighters heading into battle:

Two Aeolus cruisers approaching each other firing blobs, flak and aaa beams:

Lovely beam cannons...

The new fighter warp-in effect:

Offline -Norbert-

The part with "it" still being in the target list was what I meant with detectable. I was afraid it might be impossible to avoid that....

And the pics look great. Can't wait to see flak/AAA vs fighters in moving pictures  :)

Offline Arparso

Maybe I could hide that invisible "fighter spawn object", but I guess, that'd make the fighters also disappear from the target list... which makes targetting them somewhat harder ;)

Offline -Norbert-

But would work very well for the Pegasus and the Vasudan equivalent (Ptah or something like that).

Couldn't you make them appear from that invisible object and transfer to one of the capships? Last time I checked that could be done!

Offline -Norbert-

What would that accomplish? If there is already an enemy capship you could attatch the fighters to that ship in the first place. The question is how to make fighters appear when there is no enemy capship present.

Offline Arparso

I think keeping them attached to the invisible object is actually more helpful - transfering them to a capship at the other end of the map would only serve to confuse the player, since he'll expect those fighters to be coming from that ship's direction when in fact they may come from a completely different point in space.

Offline Arparso

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought some of you may want to see that:

'Freespace: Evolution' gameplay

Certainly better than a lame weapon effects test ;)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Lame is right. I don't know why you bothered. .

I for one can do without this mod as it looks to frank a waste of my, and your time. . .

Wait, I meant the complete opposite of that ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That is awesome.

Offline -Norbert-

but I thought some of you may want to see that:
You though right. Looks nice. I feel sorry for those fighters....

But there is one thing that bothers me a little bit about the AAA beams. In FS2 those only give off a longlived constant beam against capships and transports. Against fighters they give of 3 short bursts of fire in each salvo (pretty much exactly as the original Nexus flak, but with a longer recharge time after each tripple burst instead of continuous fire like in Nexus).
Should such tripple bursts be impossible in Nexus I'd suggest you simply use the original Nexus flak mechanics but with lowered rate of fire.

Though I'm not sure wether the fighterdefense weapons in original Nexus are really called flak. In the german version they are.

Offline Arparso

But there is one thing that bothers me a little bit about the AAA beams. [..] Against fighters they give of 3 short bursts of fire in each salvo
Good call. Fixed it! :)

... although the burst fire is only a visual effect right now - it still counts as a single shot, so all three beams will target the same fighter and all three will either hit or miss altogether. There's no real burst fire mode in Nexus: a weapon aims, charges and then shoots before repeating the cycle. You can make the weapon shoot multiple projectiles/beams, but they all would be fired at the same time and give the visual impression of a sci-fi shotgun.

And yeah, I think it's called flak in the English version as well.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wow - this looks really cool. I've never actually played Nexus, so I was wondering, how do resources work? I'm assuming there's some kind of gathering involved? Obviously, FS has plenty of industrial ships like the Triton and Zeph, but does Nexus need facilities and stuff? We're a vit short on things like that.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No, there's no gathering. It's a tactical game, not a strategy game.

Offline Arparso

Right, you just have your fleet vs. the enemy. Any reinforcements will have to be scripted into the mission or campaign - there's no resource gathering or ship building involved here. ;)

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Gah, now imagine seeing it on the Nexus 2 engine ! Too bad the game was cancelled :(
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Arparso

Two new shots showcasing solar systems I set up for mission making goodness:

... I obviously love sunsets ... :D

In the past few weeks Mass Effect 2 took its toll, slowing down development progress significantly. Now I'm back on track again and busy importing additional ships, so I can show something different than the same old Fenris and Aeolus cruisers ;)

Holy ****. I want FS to look like that...