Author Topic: Operation Templar - what can I expect?  (Read 2960 times)

Operation Templar - what can I expect?
Or to ask directly: Would you recommend the campaign inside of fsport? Is it any good?

I just finished the last mission of Silent Threat - Reborn and it was a blast. Before that I re-played the original campaign of Freespace The Great War and it was cool too. Part of the atmosphere are fully voiced command briefings (not just the one for the missions, but also and especially the ones with the videos below) and voice-chatter. Plus the storyline of ST-R was really intruiging and some of the game mechanics used actually surprised me. I could tell they did the campaign with all their heart.

So...my point is: Can I expect equal quality from Operation Templar? Because if not, I'll go right ahead with FS2, Derelict and Blue Planet. :D

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:04:19 am by GODzilla »
GODzilla™

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Operation Templar - what can I expect?
Galemp has put quite a bit of effort into rebalancing (it used to be a multiplayer campaign) and upgrading Operation Templar.  So as a member of the FSPort staff, yes, I can recommend it. :)

If you're going in chronological order, I can also recommend that you play Shrouding the Light (and Shrouding the Light: Origins) before Operation Templar.  The STL campaigns are also extremely well done.

(Did you mean to post this in the General FreeSpace board?)

Ehrm...actually yes. I thought it'll be the right place for general gameplay and content questions. But of course you can move it if you want. ^^

And thanks for your input. Well...two other campaigns then? Not sure...:D I'm sooo looking forward to Freespace 2 actually. Beam weapons... :jaw:  :D
GODzilla™

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You could also try VI, aside from some very minor issues it's a really nice campaign, and gives you another POV into the T-V war.
el hombre vicio...

Maybe later. Currently I'm following the chronology forward...Great War, Silent Threat, Operation Templar, Freespace 2, Derelict, Blue Planet...
GODzilla™

Offline -Norbert-

From the time alone yes, but I very much doubt that Derelict happened in the "BP continuity".

BP continuity? Do you mean like "official lore" or something like that? Well...Blue Planet is also just fan fiction, isn't it?

Anyway, those two campaigns came highly recommended, that's why I picked them. And yes, there are probably many more excellent campaigns. ^^
GODzilla™

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Blue Planet has his own continuity, just like Inferno has its own continuity and Cold Element has its own continuity (which Derelict is part of).

For example, STR is considered BP canon. STR is not, however, real canon, it is strong fanon at most, and fan-made campaigns and continuities are free to consider it as part of "their" canon or not.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Norbert-

What I meant is, wether you play Derelict before or after BP doesn't matter (for the story), since the Derelict events never happened, as far as Blue Planet background story is concerned.

Obviously not all fan projects can reference each other, so it's totally understandable. I just mentioned the timeline because that is simply what I'm orienting myself at.

And while the different campaigns might not play in the same "universe" so to speak there is one common ground: The tech.

In the early-era campaigns there is all blob-weapons, big bombs and ships of the older design. Now after the events of Freespace 2 and the second shivan incursion you've got all the fancy new stuff. :D

That's why I wanna play those in the "right order", to not mix up the tech. When I play a campaign with all beam-weapons and super-torpedos and then afterwards one centered around the Great War era tech...doesn't feel right. ^^
GODzilla™

Offline -Norbert-

Then you might push "Sol: A History" sometime between STR and FS2, since there you play a campaign during the time that beams are invented.

I'll have a look at this. Speaking of the time between...Operation Templar is a good example. Flack cannons, yet no beam weapons. Ships from the Great War era, yet the new Sekr-torpedo (yeah I know, it's design is still from 2335, but still...).

Cool continuity. :)
GODzilla™

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Blue Planet has his own continuity, just like Inferno has its own continuity and Cold Element has its own continuity (which Derelict is part of).

For example, STR is considered BP canon. STR is not, however, real canon, it is strong fanon at most, and fan-made campaigns and continuities are free to consider it as part of "their" canon or not.

Well I consider the re-writes for Silent Threat: Reborn as part of Cold Element's continuity since the detail on the Hades Rebellion and GTI (and GTVI) sections tie in nicely with Blackwater Operations. (if it ever gets released :p )
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
From the time alone yes, but I very much doubt that Derelict happened in the "BP continuity".

Derelict is at least nodded at in some BP material if only because we all love Derelict so much. (spoiler for BP in here
Spoiler:
Kyle Athanas was a decent inspiration for Nagari
)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I'd check the campaign list.  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Narwhal%27s_Campaign_List
This divides campaigns into the appropriate eras and shows which ones go together.

If you look at the released campaigns thread, http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70582.0, this will give you links to the campaigns.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'd check the campaign list.  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Narwhal%27s_Campaign_List
This divides campaigns into the appropriate eras and shows which ones go together.

If you look at the released campaigns thread, http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70582.0, this will give you links to the campaigns.

Mhm...Operation Templar is not placed correctly though, imho. ;) It's 10 years after the Great War. The tech is also half-way (so to speak) to FS2. Flak cannons for instance.

Anyway, thanks for the links, I'll look it over. :)
GODzilla™

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
10 years?  granted i only played it like twice in retail, but i was under the impression it was supposed to be pretty much immediately after the great war.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
10 years is the minimum, as it is a joint Terran-Vasudan mission carried out by the GTVA.

Offline -Norbert-

Most likely they just put together a few nice missions for multiplayer and didn't pay attention/give a damn about chronology, since it wasn't part of the main campaign anyway.